• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, Floridanson, AA here, sure missed you, man. You cleaning up house COMPLETELY?
Yea getting too old to have that many projects. I will keep the one first Deuce that my friends wife gave me when he passed away from a car accident. The rest will go I hope but not holding my breath.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Rusty, after reading all these posts about Skookum, I checked eBay & found this 10-ton snatch block. I am a bit confused though as in the description it says 4-ton lifting capacity. Well, it if can pull 10-tons, why could it only lift 4-tons? Am I missing something or does this object sound a bit fishy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Ton-Sna...968186?hash=item5b433b103a:g:DJ8AAOSwVLRaa-nW
Lifting requires a different safety factor than dragging. I have only purchased blocks rated to lift and drag. Yes I have some rated to drag only, but the price was dirt cheap in comparison.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question....I have the troop seats from my M929 that could be remade as troop seats for my deuce 4x4 project. It's a lot of effort to re-make them to fit. Is it worth having the fold up seats (with the rest of the cover) or are fixed side racks (which would be a lot simpler to re-make) the way to go?
Here is the bed. I had to cut the wood to get out the uprights but saved the steel uprights to re-use. The uprights are an odd size, 1.25" x 1.75". It's hard to get replacement tube that fits the bed opening. I could use 1 x 1.5 and add 1/4" flats.
If I use the fixed rack sides, I may put a front drivers side opening to get into it without lowering the rear gate. What do you think would add the most value...the troop seats (a lot of work) or a fixed rack?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I kinda feel like doing a major modification like that would have to be something that made my life easier. Not gonna do it on the chance it might net me an extra $20.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I kinda feel like doing a major modification like that would have to be something that made my life easier. Not gonna do it on the chance it might net me an extra $20.
I've had a few times that seats would be nice, but only if they could legally haul people, and that would probably require seat belts and more structure. If it were done right, probably worth at least $30 more. I will be sticking to the fixed rack but with an alteration to get front bed access on the sides.

I started a thread to go into more detail about the cover and frame. Let me know of any alternatives you know of that are more robust than these thin uprights and flat top frame members. Thanks

77 AMG

Well, I got the chance to tear into the brake system on my Deuce. The M/C seems to be okay, other than having DOT 3 in it, but, the air-pac is in worse condition than the one that I dragged home. Neither of them is worth trying to clean up and hone, for a rebuild. &*&^@$%$$**!!!!! I just can't seem to get past the air-pac issues with my truck. It is about the only thing keeping me from being able to bring it home. (License and insurance would help, but, that is for when it is ready to come home...)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lola got a thorough after-flood-service pressure wash. Gone is the sand off the cargo deck and even the inside of the cabin is clean again! Engine block got a wash, too. There is some weeping from the head gasket, never mind that it is brand new heads and gasket, torqued and re-torqued. Oh well.
She seemed to enjoy the cleaning. If she could have shaken the water off, she would have!

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the new fuel filters installed, and bypassed the fdc. Glad I installed an egt sensor, cause now it will get up to 1300 FAST!IMG_1097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralphscottiii

Installed a new intank fuel pump, replaced the three fuel filters, replaced the fuel with fresh diesel and bled the air. Removed the battery chargers and tried to start. NOTHING! It turns over just fine and will hit with some ether. All the air is bled and I've checked the engine kill switch. It's not at all "sticky", snaps right back cleanly. I'm at a loss. Could truly use some ideas to get 'er going! Ran just fine when parked.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a new intank fuel pump, replaced the three fuel filters, replaced the fuel with fresh diesel and bled the air. Removed the battery chargers and tried to start. NOTHING! It turns over just fine and will hit with some ether. All the air is bled and I've checked the engine kill switch. It's not at all "sticky", snaps right back cleanly. I'm at a loss. Could truly use some ideas to get 'er going! Ran just fine when parked.
If it hits with some starting fluid, you know it has air and compression. If it does not stay running, it does not get fuel. If the in-tank fuel pump is actually pumping and producing pressure (verify!) there should be fuel delivered to the high-pressure fuel pump at the injection pump. The IP usually takes care of pushing fuel to the injectors and many say no need to bleed injector lines. I have found that sometimes it is indeed easier to crack the injector lines at the injectors, wrap blue shop towel around to see when the fuel soaks it and hit the start button until all shop towels are wet. Then retighten and try again. I think air can get trapped and make things difficult.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might try a quick and easy check of the delivery valve. Remove the cap and spring. With some help see if with the in tank pump running the delivery valve will pop out. Just don't loose it. If it is not free and pops out then the correct size flat blade screwdriver and a twist should set it free. It looks like a needle and seat type of thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

ralphscottiii

Thank you so much! I will try this the next time I get home. Honestly, I've been rather afraid of loosening them. I have never considered myself a mechanic...Will give it a shot and see what happens! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

ralphscottiii

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. Rather new at it and frankly not sure of what the part is you are referencing. The in-tank pump pushes a tremendous amount of fuel. Pretty certain it's working just fine. The folks at Idaho Motor Pool made sure it was working when I brought it home. Thanks again! Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. Rather new at it and frankly not sure of what the part is you are referencing. The in-tank pump pushes a tremendous amount of fuel. Pretty certain it's working just fine. The folks at Idaho Motor Pool made sure it was working when I brought it home. Thanks again! Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps it would be better to go to the Deuce forum and pose the question / problem there. Then it can be more use full to you and other as it could get in to many post's. This thread is more of what did you do to your Deuce today. I will look for your new thread and post what I think as will others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks