• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

92ramaro

Well,
we finally decided on a name for my M35:
Daisy.
Went out into the woods about 3 weeks ago and got a rather large load of firewood. On the ride home I noticed a different vibration than normal so I sidelined her until I had time to investigate and repair it.
I finally had the time last Thursday but decided against it because of the 12 hours of snow we received. By Friday afternoon we had knee to waist high deep snow drifts all down my road and Daisy had recovered 9 stuck vehicles :cool:
I finally tore it apart Sunday to address the leaking winch, leaking radiator/rad hoses, and internally leaking injection pump. Once I got the radiator removed, I found the bolts for the driver's side front engine mount were missing entirely, and some yahoo had it mounted wrong anyways (pictured with a bolt I stuck in until I get the proper ones) :rolleyes:
Currently trying to hunt down the seals for the winch, and waiting for the rad shop to braze my cracked surge tank.
uploadfirst.jpg20200228_084902.jpg20200301_145233.jpg20200301_191856.jpgthe nuts and .

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
92ramaro, if you have problems finding the winch seals try Memphis Equipment Co. (901)-774-0600 They're not the cheapest but they'll usually have it.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't you just love messing with that lower radiator hose!
I didn't have any trouble with it but from the looks of it the last person to put one on had hell and bent the crap out of lower hose Port. That why I've got a leak, they were a little rough.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't have any trouble with it but from the looks of it the last person to put one on had hell and bent the crap out of lower hose Port. That why I've got a leak, they were a little rough.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I saw the damage in your picture. It takes some patience and the correct length hose.

m715mike

I’ve got a wheel cylinder on my center axel that is not working. The passenger side breaks were dragging. So this week I got both break drums off that axel and took them to my local NAPA (which also has a machine shop). They turned the drums for me (only took 18/1000 off) and charged $20 per drum. I plan to put everything back together with new wheel cylinders and break shoes.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve got a wheel cylinder on my center axel that is not working. The passenger side breaks were dragging. So this week I got both break drums off that axel and took them to my local NAPA (which also has a machine shop). They turned the drums for me (only took 18/1000 off) and charged $20 per drum. I plan to put everything back together with new wheel cylinders and break shoes.
Mike, if possible try to stay away from the New Star brake shoes, they're made in China. Some of the linings are real thick and that can make it hard to install the brake drum, even with the adjusters turned all the way down. Here's a pic of the good GI brake shoes, they're getting hard to find. M35A2 Brake Shoe.jpg

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed bumper, fixed fenders and painted. Just found out the truck wont start. Now I'm trying to understand wiring and electricity.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few more things done...cleaned up the paint overspray off on all the glass/windows & also got the winch engage bolt/spring installed. The one on the truck was bent all to hell. Now that its getting warmer Ill have a ton of update...
SC, your handle is a bit different from mine. My truck is 71/72 but the winch came off another truck. I purchased the winch, don't know what year it is, complete from the mid west, the frame had been blow torched at the radiator and the winch, bumper, PTO, and drive shaft all arrived strapped to a pallet. It was real rusty and took about a week just to get the long bolts through the bumper, PB Blasted, and beat out of the assembly, with a hammer and drift, then a year to get the PTO and Winch rebuilt. The drive shaft and u-joints were brand new.rofl
DSCF2500.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks