• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
@Tracer I hit it with the oxyacetylene rig until they were red hot, and quenched with Kroil, then new nuts, double nut method with a washer in between begrudgingly removed them. Apparently someone went wild with Red Locktite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Tracer I hit it with the oxyacetylene rig until they were red hot, and quenched with Kroil, then new nuts, double nut method with a washer in between begrudgingly removed them. Apparently someone went wild with Red Locktite

Some people use Red Loctite in the wrong place and for the wrong reasons. On my PTO studs I use white Permatex thread sealant. Keeps those little leaks from happening, and I've never had a PTO stud back out. Glad you got yours taken care of.

V8srfun

Took the truck out to dinner with the wife.
Installed oil filter upgrade.
Changed fuel filters.
Thought about the service work I need to do to it like change the ,transmission, transfer case, and axle fluids. Service all of the wheel bearings including replacing the front boots and full front axle service. And fully inspect and repair as necessary all of the wheel cylinders then flush the fluid with fresh dot5.
I also need to replace one of the spring eye bushings (not excited about this).
But it’s so hot out now this will most likely wait until I can work without showering in my own sweat. 33E91313-EC48-406B-B9B4-8EE25A034A3E.jpeg

fleetmech

I put some flags on, drove around for the 4th... and became increasingly convinced that switching to ND30 in the trans was a mistake. Its getting very "sticky" feeling as soon as it gets warm. Time to pull that oil out and back to gear oil. A well intentioned attempt, but a failure, at least for my trans.

m715mike

I put some flags on, drove around for the 4th... and became increasingly convinced that switching to ND30 in the trans was a mistake. Its getting very "sticky" feeling as soon as it gets warm. Time to pull that oil out and back to gear oil. A well intentioned attempt, but a failure, at least for my trans.
Yup, I made that mistake once too...

Iron Maiden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am anticipating towing a trailer soon, and thought it would be a good idea to reinforce the trailer receiver hitch that I have already. To do this I reinforced an existing forward cross member with 4" channel. I also fabricated an attachment between the forward cross member and my existing trailer receiver hitch. I sandblasted all the parts and finished them off with Chassis Saver paint and bolted everything up with grade 8 bolts. Everything was fabricated using holes in the existing cross member and trailer hitch.

Picture 1 is the cross member reinforcement
Picture 2 is the brace that goes between cross member and trailer hitch
Pictures 3 and 4 is everything bolted onto the truck

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

I've been doing a lot of stuff over the last few days. Oil change , fuel filters , LED headlights , rebuild front wheel cylinders , replace front brake hoses ,replaced knuckle boots and some other stuff I haven't even thought of yet. Also built a seal driver for replacing the inner axle seals.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stared at the coolant dripping..no, running, from the rad support and disappearing in the sand. Maybe one of the rad solder repairs finally gave out. Maybe a hose. I have a spare radiator. Maybe time to replace it....I will find out. WHY DID I HAVE TO SAY OUT LOUD TO MY WIFE ONLY YESTERDAY THAT "THE TRUCK IS FINALLY RUNNING PERFECTLY WITHOUT ANY ISSUES"? Arrggh.

92ramaro

My first Independence day with a Deuce.
Used Daisy to tow a junk motor home to a friends house on the morning of the 4th so we could blow it up and get his annual party started. Didn't imagine that she would end getting so much attention for the rest of the day/into the night from a majority of folks. Ended up taking a bed full of kids for a ride on the back roads a few times, and after night fell, a bed of inebriated adults while we convoyed with a John Deere pulling a crowded hay wagon in front of us.
It was an awesome day for a truck that spent the last 11-12 years sinking into my neighbor's back yard I'd say.

Attachments

Modiconman

My Sherman had a good week this week:

1. re-bled the brakes and topped off the fluid
  2. my first oil change! $125 bucks later :-(. The oil was in great shape though, no sludge and no shavings or metal pieces. The WMO was good enough I felt ok pouring it into the fuel tank.
  3. fixed a stripped-out bolt hole on the compressor. The rear, top left bolt on the casing (where the fuel line bracket attaches) stripped out a little while ago and it's been causing the engine to pick up a light film of oil everytime I drive it. It's been nagging at me for a while, but I have been holding off on the fix since I needed to remove the oil filter cannisters and I knew I had an oil change coming. I drilled and tapped it, and inserted a heli-coil. The operation went smoothly and appears to have fixed the issue. Whew! Feels a lot better know - I hate it when I have those nagging fixes in the back of my mind that I haven't gotten to yet.......
  4. Installed a pyro. I used the most common location (pre-turbo, right where the exhaust turns down). I installed the Aubern digital 24v pyro. With the air filter cannister removed, the access and installation was a snap. I drilled almost all the way through, then fired up the engine and drilled the rest and tapped it 1/8" NPT. I ran the wiring and fired the truck up and watched it work great :jumpin:.
I still need to build a bracket to mount the gauge, once that's done I can get some baseline measurements and turn the fuel up. I have a suspicion that my fuel is low, and I have lots of overhead to get more power out of my engine. We'll see.....

Heres how I mounted mine

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Sold a deuce today (not pictured) and got out with a buddy cruising some dirt roads. Last night I built a spin on primary fuel filter kit, changed both secondary fuel filters, found out in tank pump bottom plate fell off... crap, snatch it out, throw in NOS Parker Red pump, modify harness, drop it in, bleed, no leaks check! Fired it up and wow, it added what felt like 40hp and 100 torque by the ol seat meterIMG_1367.jpg
IMG_1366.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sold a deuce today (not pictured) and got out with a buddy cruising some dirt roads. Last night I built a spin on primary fuel filter kit, changed both secondary fuel filters, found out in tank pump bottom plate fell off... crap, snatch it out, throw in NOS Parker Red pump, modify harness, drop it in, bleed, no leaks check! Fired it up and wow, it added what felt like 40hp and 100 torque by the ol seat meterView attachment 805878
View attachment 805879
Looks like a sharp truck, Elijah !

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Getting some exercise today breaking down tires and wheels to start my G177 project on the truck, thanks to @Welder1 for the advise and safety training. 3 down, 9 to go!

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Exactly my same experience with ND straight-weight, plus the added "bonus" of fewer and fewer suppliers stocking ND in viscosities recommended for the 3053A; https://steelsoldiers.com/threads/m35a2-transmission-fluid-change.195206/#post-2279430

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks