• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Pokie756

I did paint,brakes,brake lines , seats , snorkel kit ,7" cat stack, fiberglass hard top , new troop seat wood and painted floor. That's all I had time for this week.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Bypassed FDC on the parts deuce a couple weeks ago. Today I finished running new wires so now I have headlights and also removed all of the flame heater parts and plugged the fuel port on the IP.
Tipton’s old truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dipstick

I put new weather seals on my doors. I think I did it right. Anyway, it's better than the dried out, crumbled originals. I've also been doing some de-rusting and painting. Boy, that "Truck Destroyer, Granular" they use on the roads up here has been eating my truck alive. I've got nuts and bolts I painted and put on a few years ago that are flaking to pieces now. Lucky I used anti-seizeDoor Seal 2.jpg. Time for the cut-off wheel, vice grips, Door Seal 1.jpgand PB blaster. Ordered new windshields too. I'll be eating Ritz Crackers this fall.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I put new weather seals on my doors. I think I did it right. Anyway, it's better than the dried out, crumbled originals. I've also been doing some de-rusting and painting. Boy, that "Truck Destroyer, Granular" they use on the roads up here has been eating my truck alive. I've got nuts and bolts I painted and put on a few years ago that are flaking to pieces now. Lucky I used anti-seizeView attachment 812056. Time for the cut-off wheel, vice grips, View attachment 812057and PB blaster. Ordered new windshields too. I'll be eating Ritz Crackers this fall.

So... Those look pretty sweet. Imagine that! Rubber door molding that isn't painted green!! Are you sure you aren't supposed to glob green paint on them after they are installed? :cool:

Mind if I ask where you purchased the weather stripping? My 5 Ton would be really happy with new rubber between the doors and the cab as well. I recently started shopping for new rubber gaskets for the windows. I sent a few PMs to people who may have had some - but so far - that seems to have been a flop. Almost seems like I should just buy the window frame, glass, and weather stripping all in one package...

Dipstick

Howdy! Yeah my original seals had thick paint on them and they were totally inflexible from age. I got the new ones from Memphis Equipment. It comes in four pieces. Two long. Two short. The total cost with shipping was $65.79. Part numbers are 7373291 and 7373292. You will need two of each. I applied thin beads of black 3M weatherstrip adhesive two minutes before I put the seals in place. It really holds them nice after a minute. The odd thing was that the 3M adhesive was very drippy. Not like caulking at all, so I placed shop towels over everything I didn't want it dripping on. It REALLY liked sticking to my fingers best! If you are going to de-rust, prime, and paint do it after scraping the old gasket off. Get the weather stripping application area clean and or painted BEFORE installing the seals. I cleaned and painted the little metal clips ( 10 in total ) the night before. I put in new #6 x 1/2" sheet metal screws made in China. Their metallurgy sucks, so I snapped one off before I got it all the way in. Luckily, enough of it was left that I could get my vice grips on it. Two of them are near the door opening and they are hard to get a screw driver on. I drilled two new holes about 2" farther along to make it easier. The seals seemed happy. Shoulda kept the old made in AMERICA screws! I have replaced my window channels and stuff years ago when I fixed my window winders. I also did the little felt wiper thingies that go along the horizontal opening in the door where the window pops up. I'm sure I have the receipts in my "Brutus Binder". I'll research it for you if you can wait a day or so. I got a lot going on right now. Hope that was helpful. I'm always glad to answer questions when you actually get around to doing it. I also bought two windshields with hinges and gaskets today. SECO parts had the best price by far.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Howdy! Yeah my original seals had thick paint on them and they were totally inflexible from age. I got the new ones from Memphis Equipment. It comes in four pieces. Two long. Two short. The total cost with shipping was $65.79. Part numbers are 7373291 and 7373292. You will need two of each. I applied thin beads of black 3M weatherstrip adhesive two minutes before I put the seals in place. It really holds them nice after a minute. The odd thing was that the 3M adhesive was very drippy. Not like caulking at all, so I placed shop towels over everything I didn't want it dripping on. It REALLY liked sticking to my fingers best! If you are going to de-rust, prime, and paint do it after scraping the old gasket off. Get the weather stripping application area clean and or painted BEFORE installing the seals. I cleaned and painted the little metal clips ( 10 in total ) the night before. I put in new #6 x 1/2" sheet metal screws made in China. Their metallurgy sucks, so I snapped one off before I got it all the way in. Luckily, enough of it was left that I could get my vice grips on it. Two of them are near the door opening and they are hard to get a screw driver on. I drilled two new holes about 2" farther along to make it easier. The seals seemed happy. Shoulda kept the old made in AMERICA screws! I have replaced my window channels and stuff years ago when I fixed my window winders. I also did the little felt wiper thingies that go along the horizontal opening in the door where the window pops up. I'm sure I have the receipts in my "Brutus Binder". I'll research it for you if you can wait a day or so. I got a lot going on right now. Hope that was helpful. I'm always glad to answer questions when you actually get around to doing it. I also bought two windshields with hinges and gaskets today. SECO parts had the best price by far.
Thanks Owen!

Yes sir. I think the sanding and wire brushing would definitely have to come first. I discovered McMaster Carr by a recommendation of Simp5782 . They have good fasteners. They even sell stainless. Might be a good investment up where you are.

When you get the other numbers - no hurry - I would appreciate it.

Tim Mullaney

Dipstick

Hey Tim. Used McMaster-Carr all the time when I worked as a mechanic for Bell Telephone Laboratories. These days I get my nuts and bolts at Tractor Supply. Their grade 5 and 8 bolts are not zinc plated so they paint better. You have to watch where you use stainless. It does not react well with mild steel over time. You have to be sure to anti-seize stainless. Does your 5 Ton cab use the same parts as a Deuce cab? I really don't know. I will dig up the numbers. I'm almost sure I have them. Watching the Yankees game now. Hope you are well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Tim. Used McMaster-Carr all the time when I worked as a mechanic for Bell Telephone Laboratories. These days I get my nuts and bolts at Tractor Supply. Their grade 5 and 8 bolts are not zinc plated so they paint better. You have to watch where you use stainless. It does not react well with mild steel over time. You have to be sure to anti-seize stainless. Does your 5 Ton cab use the same parts as a Deuce cab? I really don't know. I will dig up the numbers. I'm almost sure I have them. Watching the Yankees game now. Hope you are well.
Hi Owen,

Honestly I am not sure about the rubber door molding. I did send SECO an email asking about parts though. They list Deuce parts. I saw mention of them supporting the M9xx series of trucks - but I didn't see any parts on their site. I figure asking is cheap. ;-) There are definite differences but I figure with the part numbers you had - explaining what I wanted was easier for them and me too.

I didn't know that about stainless and so maybe that isn't such a good plan after all. I remember using an "aluminum looking" anti-seize paste in the past. Maybe I can figure out what that stuff was and get a can of it... I remember the magic of Bell Labs and the days when they were king!

Doing really well. Glad to hear that you are too! Somehow all this protesting has put a damper on my desire to watch sports. Maybe when these team owners figure that out - they can help some of these overpaid babies understand "their role" in professional sports. :cool:

Dipstick

Tim, I went through my billions of dollars worth of receipts and I could not find anything for the door guides and window seals. Sorry. I will do some research myself. Yeah Bell Telephone was the jewel of American research for almost a century. More than 33,000 patents. A couple of Nobel winners. The entire phone system design, the first trans-Atlantic cable, the first radio transmission from the ground to an airplane, the transistor, the Sosus net for tracking the movement of enemy submarines, WW 2 radar, gun directors, the big bang theory, tune-able lasers, the world's leader in acoustic research, even the guidance systems for the Nike defensive missile system. And the guy that invented the "C" programming language. And all of that is not even scratching the surface. People have no idea of just how much of the technology we enjoy today was invented at Bell. I'm very proud to say I worked there for 34 years. Well, I was born a Yankee fan so I have to watch. I'll research the door stuff.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well this is not so much what have I done but more what I am going to do,.....

Today I got a care package I ordered from Big Mikes back in July.

Just arrived today due to the backlog of parcels in the system but I got it.

Inside is a new air regulator in case I can't fix mine and also a new air filter for the compressor.

In less than a month I'll be on annual leave from work so plan on giving my Deuce a little TLC and then go out and play!

Aussie.

dmetalmiki

Removed the master cylinder and power pack for overhaul on my GMC. M135.
Then, tried to remove the brake bleed nipples. Hopeless, all rusted in and rounded off.
Ho hum, (we are the kidies, we have the techno, we can't be beat)...So..
Lump hammer, oxy outfit, undersized socket, and Biff biff biff!
The beggers are now all removed, albeit beat up. But new ones on the way.
I spent 3 hours on the task crawling about etc..then 'retired' for a hot bath.
Tired beyond belief, Remember these trucks have 12, (Twelve!) flippi'n wheel cylinders!.
Painted inside the bed last week, fitted two new batteries, and a master cut off switch. Nicely located in the glove box. (Fun drilling through double skin,)
Fitted a siren kit.
We have a mint WC52 coming Friday...Looking forward to that.

Dipstick

I wonder, does your M135 use the old DOT3 brake fluid? DOT3 is nasty stuff. It will remove paint better than any commercial paint stripper you can buy. It also attracts moisture and so it can cause rust inside a brake cylinder if the fluid is low and there is air present. I learned both of these things with my 1952 Dodge pickup. I feel your pain with all of the work you went through. I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen to me because my grease fittings at the rear of the truck look pretty bad about now. Had to grind a few nuts off today with my cut-off wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks