• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

Cousin gave me a small gas powered generator 5kw that he bought 20 years ago. He said it would not start or run without the choke on now and that he has ran it once....one time in 20 years....and cannot get it going now. I thought for sure it would be old gas that became varnish as the problem, but research online found that they all had carb problems. There was probably even a recall that he missed. I found that brand new carb with the problem resolved, was only 16 bucks....wow.

It's rather small but could be tucked into the space between my cab and bed. Even an electric starter is available for 45. I'll have to make a new enclosure, but it will fit my space.

So I'm on the fence. Do I install in the deuce to have auxiliary ac on this work truck or not?
Many people use battery powered tools these days. It might be nice just to keep it portable and throw it in the bed of your truck if you think you'll need it. Just my two cents.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Cousin gave me a small gas powered generator 5kw that he bought 20 years ago. He said it would not start or run without the choke on now and that he has ran it once....one time in 20 years....and cannot get it going now. I thought for sure it would be old gas that became varnish as the problem, but research online found that they all had carb problems. There was probably even a recall that he missed. I found that brand new carb with the problem resolved, was only 16 bucks....wow.

It's rather small but could be tucked into the space between my cab and bed. Even an electric starter is available for 45. I'll have to make a new enclosure, but it will fit my space.

So I'm on the fence. Do I install in the deuce to have auxiliary ac on this work truck or not?
You could run all the LED lights you wanted to and several other low amp things, maybe even a small microwave and be really happy at 5kw.
Definitely even as a spare it would be fantastic for most things - except for a hot water heater, stove or dryer for your laundry. :cool:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many people use battery powered tools these days. It might be nice just to keep it portable and throw it in the bed of your truck if you think you'll need it. Just my two cents.
I could somewhat keep it removable when I build an enclosure that fits the space on passenger side which is the extended angle iron from the spare tire holder on driver side. It's 16" wide , which fits engine and generator, but not the tube frame.

I'm thinking my 4 1/2" grinder with cut off wheel can do a lot of destruction.

hgun

Good morning gentlemen I have a couple questions first. Is servicing the axel bearing front and rear any different from annA2 to a A3 with ctis that I don’t use I removed all the inflation parts off the wheels and capped the stud. I don’t know if it’s been done and since my boots are torn might as well do it all. I’ve read threads about a nipple being epoxy in somewhere? YouTube shows an A2 getting it done but can’t find an A3. Also I’m looking for a A3 Hard copy service TM I bought one with my 5 Ton when I had it but, but can’t find a hard copy for the A3 I can find cds with it but would prefer a book greasy hands and keyboard don’t work well. Thank you

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel bearings specific to the A3 are indeed different and super pricey compared to the A2. You can turn down/modify/replace the spindles and use A2 bearings if you do not keep the CTIS functionality.

Threads:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2849.JPG Getting ready for the MVCC Spring meet. I'm finishing the paint on the S-250 Shelter exterior, and It's also turned out pretty nice inside. I got a bunch of interior ideas from Guyfang that really makes it livable. Even my CO is beginning to like it. Next week we'll take it out camping so I can correct any deficiencies before the MVCC. The Deuce needs the oil and filters changed, a little touch up paint, and the windows cleaned and she'll be ready to go. The MVCC event is April 26th to May 2nd at the 49er Camp ground at Plymouth California. So Don't Miss It. It's about an 800 mile round trip for us. Last year everything was cancelled and I put maybe 80 Miles on the Deuce for the year, so were looking forward to the trip. (y)

Dipstick

hgun....I wonder if the cost of buying new A2 bearings plus the cost of the machine work on the spindles would be more money than the cost of the A3 bearing sets alone. Also, if the A3 spindles are stronger than the A2's, would it make more sense to keep the stock configuration? Just speaking as one who's hemorrhaged money on his own Deuce for years.

Dipstick

Good morning gentlemen I have a couple questions first. Is servicing the axel bearing front and rear any different from annA2 to a A3 with ctis that I don’t use I removed all the inflation parts off the wheels and capped the stud. I don’t know if it’s been done and since my boots are torn might as well do it all. I’ve read threads about a nipple being epoxy in somewhere? YouTube shows an A2 getting it done but can’t find an A3. Also I’m looking for a A3 Hard copy service TM I bought one with my 5 Ton when I had it but, but can’t find a hard copy for the A3 I can find cds with it but would prefer a book greasy hands and keyboard don’t work well. Thank you
hgun....I print copies of the specific task I'm going to perform from my CD before starting. That way the only things that gets greasy are me and the paper.

Dipstick

New Battery Box Handles Installed.jpg
I'm getting impatient to install my new batteries in Brutus. The steel for the battery support I have to fabricate is coming Wednesday. So in the mean time, I decided to mount the freshly painted handles on my used plastic box. I used 10-24 x 3/4" stainless machine screws and Stainless Nylock nuts. I know it doesn't look properly military, but painted steel nuts get rusty here in no time. Brutus is always outside. I don't have a pole barn or anything like that to put him in. Granted it's a very minor accomplishment, but it makes me feel good to get SOMETHING done!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 831018 Getting ready for the MVCC Spring meet. I'm finishing the paint on the S-250 Shelter exterior, and It's also turned out pretty nice inside. I got a bunch of interior ideas from Guyfang that really makes it livable. Even my CO is beginning to like it. Next week we'll take it out camping so I can correct any deficiencies before the MVCC. The Deuce needs the oil and filters changed, a little touch up paint, and the windows cleaned and she'll be ready to go. The MVCC event is April 26th to May 2nd at the 49er Camp ground at Plymouth California. So Don't Miss It. It's about an 800 mile round trip for us. Last year everything was cancelled and I put maybe 80 Miles on the Deuce for the year, so were looking forward to the trip. (y)
Hi Tracer ,

Be sure to take some pictures of the interior of your S-250. I was pretty sure that I could get my S-141 ready for Denton but I have just about decided that it isn't going to be ready in time. I could slap something together - but if I do it right - the first time, I might be able to do it one time.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated!!

Tim

Last edited:

hgun

hgun....I wonder if the cost of buying new A2 bearings plus the cost of the machine work on the spindles would be more money than the cost of the A3 bearing sets alone. Also, if the A3 spindles are stronger than the A2's, would it make more sense to keep the stock configuration? Just speaking as one who's hemorrhaged money on his own Deuce for years.
I don’t know if their bad I’m just going to repack them and change inner seals more of a piece of mind

Dipstick

I don’t know if their bad I’m just going to repack them and change inner seals more of a piece of mind
Great idea! That way you don't have to worry about them. As far as the seals go, I used a 10' length of 1/2 inch steel pipe with a cap on the end facing the seal to tap them out with a few light hammer blows. The 1/2 inch pipe goes right through the differential. You just strike from the opposite side from the seal you want to remove. Couldn't believe how nicely they came out. For the installation of the new seals I beveled the end of a pressure treated 4x4 and tapped the new seals in. Also very easy to do. The axles themselves come out and go back in easily too. Pardon me if I'm stating stuff you already know.

Dipstick

New Battery Box Slide Stop.jpg
Does anyone know the purpose of this little fella that goes on the bottom of a plastic battery box? I guess it's supposed to limit the travel of the battery box when your just checking the batteries. Thanks!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Dipstick You got that right! Since the battery box with two batteries weighs a gazillion pounds, the risk of you "accidentally" sliding it out so far that it falls off the truck is nil (based on experience, sample of 1). I did not bother with the part. Mine does not have it installed (and I see where the holes are for it) and when I really need the box out, I can just pull it out. No need to un-do bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks