• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations 98G! Nice, solid looking Deuce! What year is it? How far will you have to drive it to get home?
It's an '87. One of the late AF trucks with the dual circuit brakes. White multifuel with the D turbo.

Driving it about 550miles home, with a stop on the way to pick up a tcase for an 809series truck. Cruising at an indicated 48mph, which should be right about 60 actual. It'll go faster, but this is the sweet spot where it feels stable and planted.

I'm taking it easy. Drove about 4 hours this evening and I've stopped for the night.

Dipstick

I'm jealous of your dual-circuit brakes 98G! My Deuce is an '84. Does your truck have a manual transmission? It was a good idea to stop for the night. You've got a good Deuce when you can drive him at 60 mph for four hours without any problems.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Am gentleman I have a question I have a A3 I went for a ride yesterday and noticed my generator gauge was in the red to the right, It drove fine lights and everything worked fine. So I contacted one of our fellow members on here who gave me trouble shooting tips. Here’s what we found I got 2 brand new optima batteries 24.3 Volts with out truck running, started truck reading 29.3 volts, we’re thinking this is to hot. Is this Alternator adjustable? Or any other ideas. I will add that I keep my batteries on a 24V tender while not in use. Thanks guys

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good Am gentleman I have a question I have a A3 I went for a ride yesterday and noticed my generator gauge was in the red to the right, It drove fine lights and everything worked fine. So I contacted one of our fellow members on here who gave me trouble shooting tips. Here’s what we found I got 2 brand new optima batteries 24.3 Volts with out truck running, started truck reading 29.3 volts, we’re thinking this is to hot. Is this Alternator adjustable? Or any other ideas. I will add that I keep my batteries on a 24V tender while not in use. Thanks guys
Any chance you checked output at the generator or at the batteries with a Fluke Meter possibly?
Those gauges aren't always correct. Looking at it, I see it right in the high edge of green or low red...
How was it measuring before you installed the new batteries?

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly I don’t remember I replaced them in Dec didn’t do to much with it then. I used a multi meter at the batteries did not check at the alternator it was dark I’m going to take a pic of the alternator to see if it’s a single or double wire

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your truck have a manual transmission?
Yeah, it's the same engine and transmission as the other M35A2s. The transfer case is the air shift variety.

They didn't go to the Allison auto until they went with the Cat engine in the A3.

The increased cruising speed is directly attributable to the 395's. First gear is low enough that the 395's don't kill the bottom end like 16.00's on a 939 do.

So far it's an enjoyable trip. I guess I have a skewed definition of fun. Here's a pic next to my M925 on 16.00's.

Attachments

Dipstick

Any chance you checked output at the generator or at the batteries with a Fluke Meter possibly?
Those gauges aren't always correct. Looking at it, I see it right in the high edge of green or low red...
How was it measuring before you installed the new batteries?
Hi Tim. I was the member talking to hgun. 29 + volts is too high. hgun and I just want to hear from an A3 owner. We want to know if the A3's alternator is adjustable for voltage output. I know the original alternator in my A2 was. I adjusted it myself before replacing it with a Woltech 1-wire alternator. It was a simple screwdriver adjustment while having my multi-meter connected. Hope you are well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Tim. I was the member talking to hgun. 29 + volts is too high. hgun and I just want to hear from an A3 owner. We want to know if the A3's alternator is adjustable for voltage output. I know the original alternator in my A2 was. I adjusted it myself before replacing it with a Woltech 1-wire alternator. It was a simple screwdriver adjustment while having my multi-meter connected. Hope you are well.
Thanks Owen. I just managed to miss the earlier part of the thread. Your info brings back memories of a 67 Camaro with a big box on the firewall with the ability to adjust alternator output. I had completely forgotten about that...

Dipstick

Thanks Owen. I just managed to miss the earlier part of the thread. Your info brings back memories of a 67 Camaro with a big box on the firewall with the ability to adjust alternator output. I had completely forgotten about that...
Hi Tim. That box was an external voltage regulator. Many vehicles prior to '67 had external, adjustable voltage regulators. I rewired two complete trucks from headlight to taillight and everything in between, and both had external voltage regulators. One was a 1964 Ford F-100 and the other was my 1953 Dodge B3.

Dipstick

Some of our adventures from the past month. Wanted to get them posted before I have to leave the desktop behind today 😅
Summary to follow
Awesome post 92ramaro! I really enjoyed it! I'm impressed that your Daisy will pull that much weight. I don't think my Brutus could pull a bag of fart gas up a hill.

Dipstick

Yeah, it's the same engine and transmission as the other M35A2s. The transfer case is the air shift variety.

They didn't go to the Allison auto until they went with the Cat engine in the A3.

The increased cruising speed is directly attributable to the 395's. First gear is low enough that the 395's don't kill the bottom end like 16.00's on a 939 do.

So far it's an enjoyable trip. I guess I have a skewed definition of fun. Here's a pic next to my M925 on 16.00's.
You gave me an idea 98G. I should compare my speedo indicated road speed to my Garmin navigator to see if there's a difference. I run taller than stock 11R-20s on Brutus. I think '87 was the last year for manual transmissions.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You gave me an idea 98G. I should compare my speedo indicated road speed to my Garmin navigator to see if there's a difference. I run taller than stock 11R-20s on Brutus. I think '87 was the last year for manual transmissions.
Your speedo should read 38/42 of actual speed. Mine reads 38/45.

williamh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks