• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

They did not want to mess with international shipments because there can be serious problems for businesses if they violate the ITAR regulations.
I doubt a couple of wrenches come close to violating any International trade agreement regulations, I don't have any issue getting parts or accessories from others, at least so far.
I can understand if I was after some weapon system etc.

Anyway its all worked out, they did'nt get my business and I got what I wanted for a heck of a lot less so all is right with the world.

I guess it just baffles me that something so simple is made unnecessarily difficult for no reason, and the sad thing is they not only lost out on my custom this time but have now put themselves at the back of the list next time I need anything,....

Yet there are other business's that are so helpful,.....

I guess the contrast between the two can be surprising.

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well I removed the bow storage retainer on my Deuce.

I have all new retainer straps for the pioneer tool rack but the strap for the bows that is above that is, well, rotten.

That was due to the cleaning chemical that must have been used when my Deuce was 'washed' to clear AQIS.

PIC_0113.JPG

PIC_0114.JPG

I'll keep the metal parts and just have new straps made then reassemble.

I also need to replace the canvas chain covers that were also ruined,....

PIC_0115.JPG

Its the little things,....

Aussie.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I hate Amazon....
Ordered oil filters WIX filters (some of the best), with O-rings, for like $15...
6 - 12oz bottles of DOT5 for $38

Still working on finding inexpensive fuel line, and redoing the primary and secondary fuel filters with spin ons.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt a couple of wrenches come close to violating any International trade agreement regulations, I don't have any issue getting parts or accessories from others, at least so far.
I can understand if I was after some weapon system etc.
ITAR - International Traffic in Arms Regulations is a United States regulatory regime to restrict and control the export of defense and military related technologies to safeguard U.S. national security and further U.S. foreign policy objectives. The problem arises that many of the people in government use the broadest brush when classifying items. Case in point, the general mechanics tool kits, and the wheel chocks purchased for the F-4 Phantom and subsequent aircraft are ITAR items and must be destroyed, while the same tool kits and wheel chocks purchased for the C-130 aircraft can be sold as surplus intact. Because of this crazy mishmash, some businesses want to stay away from international sales. As I said before, sad, but true.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

The problem arises that many of the people in government use the broadest brush when classifying items.

There's ya problem right there!
Politicians,.... everywhere they go,... trouble!

As I said before, sad, but true.
Yup!

We have the same problem here,....

Aussie.

Dipstick

View attachment 838802

View attachment 838804

Went on a backroads drive for a couple of hours. I live in a beautiful area when the weather is nice!
I arrived at the end of a road and the only way to turn around was to use a guy's driveway. I decided to be polite and ask permission, rather than just backing into his driveway (the guy was working in his yard).
We talked and he said "well, you can turn around, OR....I built this road right behind the house that loops back to the river and then there is a gate to the main road." It is a huge forest and bush area back there and I had no idea there even was a road. I also had no idea that a property that looked like an average 0.5 acre residential lot was actually around 150 acres!
He normally uses the road with a pickup truck and a few spots were tight between the trees, but no real issue for the Queen to sneak through.
One branch of his road goes to a beautiful overlook over the river and I checked that out. While I was there, the owner shows up with his pickup and the wife. His wife had given him grief for sending the "poor man and his big truck" up that gnarly road and she made him go to make sure I did not get stuck and needed help!

Man, if this guy ever decided to sell off a parcel, that would be a home on a flood-proof overlook with killer views of two rivers merging.

Driving a Deuce leads to the most wonderful discoveries!

Truck runs like a champ and I also installed the 2-hole injectors from the spare LDT engine. The freight train smoke is all but gone, "fuel economy" (lol) seems better and I do not notice a (huge) difference in power. The seat of the pants dynometer says that power and response were a tad better with the single hole injectors but I like the fact that the LDS does not lay a smoke screen wherever it goes.
Great story! That couple sounds like a pair of really nice people!

Dipstick

I changed my compressor belt using two pipe wrenches. One was definitely a 48inch, the other was an 8 inch I believe.

Maybe I was able to get away with not having the special wrenches because the radiator and the fan were removed at the time? Nothing got screwed up from the procedure, however tightening the "sheave" on the compressor without pinching the belt was a bit tedious with only one set of hands :shrugs:
I usually remove the angle brace with the turnbuckle thingy before I work on the compressor belt. It makes getting the wrenches in place a bit easier. I have the compressor tools, but sometimes I use a pipe wrench too. It's kind of a knuckle buster no matter how you do it. I don't worry about pinching (not crushing) the belt. The centrifugal force will cause it to ride up in the pulley as long as you don't overtighten it during the adjustment phase.

Dipstick

A question for my fellow Soldiers. I'm thinking of installing one of those remote brake reservoirs from Big Mike's. Brutus has a spring ride drivers seat and a bench style passenger seat. There is no room between the seats to mount it. What other mounting options are there? I'd be grateful for any suggestions or pictures you may have. I guess the firewall might be a good spot? I would like it to be easily visible without having to pop the hood though. Thanks.

tguinn

A question for my fellow Soldiers. I'm thinking of installing one of those remote brake reservoirs from Big Mike's. Brutus has a spring ride drivers seat and a bench style passenger seat. There is no room between the seats to mount it. What other mounting options are there? I'd be grateful for any suggestions or pictures you may have. I guess the firewall might be a good spot? I would like it to be easily visible without having to pop the hood though. Thanks.
[/QUOTE

I put mine on the firewall about where the heater duct is supposed to go through, then the side panel can be dropped down to check the level. Tim

Dipstick

Thanks for the idea Tim. Brutus has cab heat and a power steering reservoir right next to it. I mounted the turn signal flasher there too years back to keep it dry. Maybe there's some room under the air compressor regulator. I'll have to pop the hood and see if there's any room there.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s where I put my kit from big Mike’s. It’s on the fire wall and there were already nut plates there so it literally was just screwing it down with the two bolts and the hood clears it, albeit close but close counts. All I do to check it is pop the drivers side cover down and you can see it plainly

Attachments

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is behind the drivers LH seat corner, on the back wall.

Attachments

Dipstick

Here’s where I put my kit from big Mike’s. It’s on the fire wall and there were already nut plates there so it literally was just screwing it down with the two bolts and the hood clears it, albeit close but close counts. All I do to check it is pop the drivers side cover down and you can see it plainly
Thanks Godspeed! Yes, that might work for me. I'll have to look under my hood. Thanks for including the picture. It helps me to visualize the installation. The reservoir is pretty tiny isn't it. Did you have to lengthen the hose? Not that it's a big deal or anything.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Godspeed! Yes, that might work for me. I'll have to look under my hood. Thanks for including the picture. It helps me to visualize the installation. The reservoir is pretty tiny isn't it. Did you have to lengthen the hose? Not that it's a big deal or anything.
No problem anytime, and nope I didn’t have to lengthen anything. It came with plenty of hose. And the reservoir is around 8-12 ozs if I had to guess.

Dipstick

No problem anytime, and nope I didn’t have to lengthen anything. It came with plenty of hose. And the reservoir is around 8-12 ozs if I had to guess.
Great! Thank you! I opened Brutus' driver's side cover today without popping his hood. I think the reservoir should be small enough to fit just a bit lower and to the outside of the heater duct. That way I only have to open the side cover to check the level. I might just order it tonight!

Dipstick

Well guys, I just ordered the remote brake reservoir from Big Mike's. I can't wait to get it. I also ordered two shirts since most of mine have been thoroughly trashed while working on my house or Brutus. I just can't seem to get away from paint, grease, and anti-seize.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well guys, I just ordered the remote brake reservoir from Big Mike's. I can't wait to get it. I also ordered two shirts since most of mine have been thoroughly trashed while working on my house or Brutus. I just can't seem to get away from paint, grease, and anti-seize.
Hi Owen,

Good deal! That will be a nice upgrade.
A nice easy way to keep an eye on your brake fluid - without having to do more than glance at the reservoir.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks