• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tommys2patrick

Hgun--interesting---as the "parking brake" is actually on the transfer case not the drive wheels. that wheel may not be the problem. next time check the drum brake on the back of the transfer case for heat and smoke. if it is always hard to apply the parking brake it is likely the pads are too close to the drum already. especially if the driver side wheel is cold as you described. the "smoke" could be coming from something else like your radiator vent line. while the smell is coming from the transfer case brake drum. my two cents on a possible explanation.

hgun

Right i was thinking the same that it’s set to tight I was looking at the drum brake to see anything and of course nothing, when your hoping to find the problem. but you can smell hot brakes. It looks like my parking cable has been worked on before or something it looks like it’s been rerouted I’ll post pics after work I’m also going to try parking it without the parking brake using a wheel chock to see if I can replicate it. I’ll be back under it again changing tranny oil and diff fluid I’ll try adjusting it. Thanks for the help

davidb56

Here’s a question for you guys about brakes every time I get back from a drive I apply the parking brake which is extremely hard to put on. With in minutes I smell brakes and see smoke coming from the DS front wheel wheel I believe it’s the parking brake, I can touch the drum ice cold on the wheel you don’t smell it driving just when you park and apply the parking brake. I just replaced all wheel seals new grease etc checked brakes everything looks good. It was doing this prior to me servicing the axels. Just a question thanks guys
Drive it again and when you park it, Do Not apply the parking brake. If you still see smoke, then It may be something leaking on the brake shoes like grease or brake fluid.

Dipstick

Right i was thinking the same that it’s set to tight I was looking at the drum brake to see anything and of course nothing, when your hoping to find the problem. but you can smell hot brakes. It looks like my parking cable has been worked on before or something it looks like it’s been rerouted I’ll post pics after work I’m also going to try parking it without the parking brake using a wheel chock to see if I can replicate it. I’ll be back under it again changing tranny oil and diff fluid I’ll try adjusting it. Thanks for the help
Hello. I've had the hard to set parking brake problem in the past. It got progressively worse until I finally needed a 2" pipe cheater to set it. I found the problem to be, that the handbrake cable was frozen/rusted to the inside of the parking brake cable jacket. All of that force I had been applying was only putting tension on the outer jacket and not the cable itself. I replaced the cable with a new one. I have some pictures of the under cab floor handbrake/cable bracket and some advice to make the replacement easier if you're interested. The clearance between the parking brake shoes and drums when properly adjusted is approximately 1 Cat Whisker. Sometimes, when you haven't driven your Deuce for a while, rust forms on the drum making the shoes hard to release. Ice does the same thing. I find a light tap on the shoe lever with a five pound hammer always does the trick. As far as the driver's side front brake, jack the Deuce up on that corner and see if you can freely spin the tire/wheel assembly. If not, I would back of the shoe adjusters a tad. Hope I've been some help to you.

hgun

Hi thank you. Yes you have, would love pics it’s not my DS brake I just had them off cleaned etc and I believe it’s the parking brake I noticed the corner of the DS storage box is digging into the brake jacket and this little square deal is hanging out in mid air. If it’s wrong let me know thanks again

Attachments

Dipstick

Hi thank you. Yes you have, would love pics it’s not my DS brake I just had them off cleaned etc and I believe it’s the parking brake I noticed the corner of the DS storage box is digging into the brake jacket and this little square deal is hanging out in mid air. If it’s wrong let me know thanks again
Handbrake Cable Replacement 1.jpgHandbrake Cable Replacement 2.jpg
Sure. Always glad to help if I can Hgun. The first pic is to show what the handbrake lever components look like when removed. The second pic shows the new cable in place with it's clamp to the bracket which is under the floor. The parking brake handle assembly bolts to it through the floor. The link hanging down in the first pic is where the cable end attaches to. When I dropped the new bolts through the handle assembly through the floor, I duct taped the bolt heads to the floor and handle frame to prevent them from turning when I threaded the nuts and locks on from under the cab. Later, I duct taped a box end wrench to the same nuts so that I could use a ratchet from below. I do not have a "soldier B". I had to grind a bit of material off of the frame clamp for the outer jacket metal ferrule because it was slightly too thick. You may not run into that problem. Don't make yourself crazy worrying about the brake shoe clearance. Just take some slack out of the cable. The brake shoe return spring is as short and weak as it is a pain to put on. Seriously, it's not strong enough to pull a booger from the nose of an average sized man. Once you drive it a few miles the brake shoes will polish the drum and develop all of the clearance you need. I estimate the difficulty of the job to be about 5-6 curse words per hour or about as painful as a half-hour relationship talk with your better half. The little square dingle berry doesn't serve much purpose that I can see. I bought the new cable from Memphis Equipment in 2018. The cost was $87.51 with shipping. For shipping see "the real cost of owning a Deuce". The part number is 0889205-2530 for the "late style handle" cable. I will be glad to answer any more questions you may come up with if I can.

Dipstick

Got 4.5 yards of mulch. Wanted to mulch earlier this summer but work had me to busy. Anyway the dump bed came in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a ridiculously cool bobber you have there M.ellis!!!!!!! I am soooo damn jealous!!!

Dipstick

Drove my bobbed deuce to lunch. Topped her off with diesel. Called the local Fire Department and volunteered for deep water rescue (if needed) because of Hurricane Ida.

I was told the newer trucks can't ford as much water. Passed by a bunch back in the flood of 2016 that were stranded like this. How much water can they really ford? Deepest water I went through was about 5 ft back in 2016.

Always great to see a post from you Hank!!! Great pics too!!!

hgun

View attachment 845171View attachment 845173
Sure. Always glad to help if I can Hgun. The first pic is to show what the handbrake lever components look like when removed. The second pic shows the new cable in place with it's clamp to the bracket which is under the floor. The parking brake handle assembly bolts to it through the floor. The link hanging down in the first pic is where the cable end attaches to. When I dropped the new bolts through the handle assembly through the floor, I duct taped the bolt heads to the floor and handle frame to prevent them from turning when I threaded the nuts and locks on from under the cab. Later, I duct taped a box end wrench to the same nuts so that I could use a ratchet from below. I do not have a "soldier B". I had to grind a bit of material off of the frame clamp for the outer jacket metal ferrule because it was slightly too thick. You may not run into that problem. Don't make yourself crazy worrying about the brake shoe clearance. Just take some slack out of the cable. The brake shoe return spring is as short and weak as it is a pain to put on. Seriously, it's not strong enough to pull a booger from the nose of an average sized man. Once you drive it a few miles the brake shoes will polish the drum and develop all of the clearance you need. I estimate the difficulty of the job to be about 5-6 curse words per hour or about as painful as a half-hour relationship talk with your better half. The little square dingle berry doesn't serve much purpose that I can see. I bought the new cable from Memphis Equipment in 2018. The cost was $87.51 with shipping. For shipping see "the real cost of owning a Deuce". The part number is 0889205-2530 for the "late style handle" cable. I will be glad to answer any more questions you may come up with if I can.
Great thanks for the info and pics that will be on my list to fix as well

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys, how do I vote for MV of the Month? I can't seem to figure out how.

Dipstick

Tim, right on time! Thank you for the link!!! I should be driving to the MV show in Gilbert PA this Saturday. It's only seven miles from my house. I've been so damn busy with house projects that I never got to the fenders or gussied Brutus up. It will be the first MV show I've been to since 2014. I sure hope it works out for Brutus and I. Hope you are well as always. (y)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tim, right on time! Thank you for the link!!! I should be driving to the MV show in Gilbert PA this Saturday. It's only seven miles from my house. I've been so damn busy with house projects that I never got to the fenders or gussied Brutus up. It will be the first MV show I've been to since 2014. I sure hope it works out for Brutus and I. Hope you are well as always. (y)
Happy to help Owen! I am doing fine here and now I am green with envy. Best of luck to you and Brutus at the show!

I keep hoping we can have just a simple parade around here - but we are cancelling things at the last minute. My trucks are beginning to feel slighted. :-(
We still have a planned airshow in November and I am hopeful at the moment... There has been a small gathering of wheeled MVs in the past and I hope to be part of it this year.

Warbirds over Monroe 2021 (Poster).gif

Dipstick

I'm a huge fan of WW 2 warbirds! I have books on the F6F Hellcat, Vought F4U Corsair, P-51 Mustang, and I even have the pilots instruction manual for the F8F Bearcat (my favorite warbird of them all). It can easily fly circles around all of the above. Not even a Spitfire would stand a chance. Not much into jet fighters. Dog fighting is dead anyway. It's all guided missiles now. You don't even see who's just about to kill you and you can't really fight back. Nope, give me the WW 2 birds. Our WW 2 Navy pilots had lot's of guts. Hope you get to the show!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm a huge fan of WW 2 warbirds! I have books on the F6F Hellcat, Vought F4U Corsair, P-51 Mustang, and I even have the pilots instruction manual for the F8F Bearcat (my favorite warbird of them all). It can easily fly circles around all of the above. Not even a Spitfire would stand a chance. Not much into jet fighters. Dog fighting is dead anyway. It's all guided missiles now. You don't even see who's just about to kill you and you can't really fight back. Nope, give me the WW 2 birds. Our WW 2 Navy pilots had lot's of guts. Hope you get to the show!
I guess it has to do with age because I am right there with you Owen! The Colonel in our JROTC unit in high school was a P-51 Mustang pilot in WWII. One of the best war stories he told was of the ball bearing plant at Schweinfurt. Their particular squadron were tucked in tight with the bombers and they had a good day compared to a lot of others.

Dipstick

Kind of an easy one this week. Changed out the secondary fuel filters. I already have the spin on oil filter conversion, so I think I'm going to convert the primary and secondary fuel filters over to the spin on type. They just make changing filters a lot easier and cleaner. [thumbzup]
I've done them all Tracer. You can't go wrong. Money well spent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks