• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Summer driver/time capsule experiment I got back in 2016.
I park the car as soon as the roads are salted the first time each year up here in MI.
I'm the second title holder to the Virginia State police.

View attachment 850215

One more shot for perspective. (regrettably has the wrong hobby pictured but better shows the shop/ un-insulated back half of the barn)

If another Steel Soldier member needs a warm place to wrench, I'll make my shop available.

I'm not stingy so long as I'm given enough lead time.

View attachment 850216
A warm place to wrench! You would end up hating me because I would never leave! :ROFLMAO:

Dipstick

Hi everyone! Well, I finally got Brutus back today after a month and a half. I bought the parts and had the truck shop I had it towed to perform the work. In the final analysis it was not a wheel cylinder that caused my brake failure but a corroded steel line. The crack or hole was so small we never could find it, but you would be surprised at just how fast a small leak can empty out all of your brake fluid. So, now I have four new wheel cylinders. All new brake shoes and seals. All new solid lines and hoses. I just hope they did a good job of replacing the rear axle corks with silicone as I asked them too. The passenger side rear cork had failed and the brake shoes were unbelievably soaked with oil and grease. That means I've been driving around on three functioning brake drums for years! I'm ashamed that I didn't do it myself, but it's getting very cold for a shade tree mechanic up here. The drive home was fun. I thought I'd be a bit rusty driving, but I was smooth as hell. I never nicked as much as one gear/synchronizer tooth and I always seemed to have the right gear for every hill I encountered. It was good to be behind the wheel again.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi everyone! Well, I finally got Brutus back today after a month and a half. I bought the parts and had the truck shop I had it towed to perform the work. In the final analysis it was not a wheel cylinder that caused my brake failure but a corroded steel line. The crack or hole was so small we never could find it, but you would be surprised at just how fast a small leak can empty out all of your brake fluid. So, now I have four new wheel cylinders. All new brake shoes and seals. All new solid lines and hoses. I just hope they did a good job of replacing the rear axle corks with silicone as I asked them too. The passenger side rear cork had failed and the brake shoes were unbelievably soaked with oil and grease. That means I've been driving around on three functioning brake drums for years! I'm ashamed that I didn't do it myself, but it's getting very cold for a shade tree mechanic up here. The drive home was fun. I thought I'd be a bit rusty driving, but I was smooth as hell. I never nicked as much as one gear/synchronizer tooth and I always seemed to have the right gear for every hill I encountered. It was good to be behind the wheel again.
Hi Owen,

Happy to hear that your baby Brutus is back home from the truck hospital ;-) . It sounds like finding that corroded line was the real magic. Guess the others were replaced too or inspected? That is scary stuff when something like that happens. Even more so when it isn't obvious that it has happened...

Yes Sir! It has gotten pretty cool around here (and then we get a warm few days) for outdoor wrench turning. Happy that you enjoyed the drive home!

Tim

ToddJK

Just the other day I finally got around to fixing my leak. The deuce was still leaking fuel from the IP. Come to find out it was the delivery valve cover bolt on the hh. It had a hairline crack in the mating surface so that's why it leaked and it was only getting worse. I had to hunt down multiple places to find one otherwise it was a replacement hh and $500+ later. If anyone ever needs just that 12 point cover bolt, TNJ Murray saved my rear as they are the only ones who have them. $36 after shipping and two days later I got it in. Replaced the bolt, tighten and loosened it 3 times according to the TM and torqued it the final time right at tm specifications. No leaks and now I have full power unlike before. I have my deuce back again, lol. Next project is a new muffler since mine is rusting out and looks horrible. Steve had one in the classifieds so I have one coming. Which thanks to his patience through my forgetfulness and then other personal issues, I got a good deal on it.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just the other day I finally got around to fixing my leak. The deuce was still leaking fuel from the IP. Come to find out it was the delivery valve cover bolt on the hh. It had a hairline crack in the mating surface so that's why it leaked and it was only getting worse. I had to hunt down multiple places to find one otherwise it was a replacement hh and $500+ later. If anyone ever needs just that 12 point cover bolt, TNJ Murray saved my rear as they are the only ones who have them. $36 after shipping and two days later I got it in. Replaced the bolt, tighten and loosened it 3 times according to the TM and torqued it the final time right at tm specifications. No leaks and now I have full power unlike before. I have my deuce back again, lol. Next project is a new muffler since mine is rusting out and looks horrible. Steve had one in the classifieds so I have one coming. Which thanks to his patience through my forgetfulness and then other personal issues, I got a good deal on it.
ToddJK I agree, TNJ Murray is one of my go to suppliers in a pinch. The other is Memphis Equipment Co.. Not the cheapest, but when no one else has that hard to find item, one of these 2 will usually have it. Also, great you got the leak fixed......I hate leaks.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100_0132.JPG
100_0134.JPG100_0133.JPG
Out in the street changing the oil and filters. This will be the first time using Shell Rotella T 15-40 synthetic blend oil. Using Wix 51458 filters so we'll finish the oil change then to the car wash for a clean up.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Good information there ToddJK! I'm going to try and remember that. Thanks for sharing it with us and good job on the diagnosis and fix!!!

Dipstick

Dipstick

Hi Owen,

Happy to hear that your baby Brutus is back home from the truck hospital . It sounds like finding that corroded line was the real magic. Guess the others were replaced too or inspected? That is scary stuff when something like that happens. Even more so when it isn't obvious that it has happened...
;-)

Yes Sir! It has gotten pretty cool around here (and then we get a warm few days) for outdoor wrench turning. Happy that you enjoyed the drive home!

Tim
Hi Tim! Thank you! My solid lines at the axles looked terrible. They were covered with several layers of different color paint and some light rust to the point that it was hard to accurately judge what kind of shape they were really in. My rebuilt hand brake with the new cable really saved the day. I was surprised at how easy it was to modulate and how effective it was at 5 mph. It easily stopped the truck on level ground. Thank God I repaired it a year or so ago. It's getting cold and nasty here too. I just put on my winter front yesterday and plugged the block heater in. Glad to know you are well.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inflated the tires.
(Is that all?).
well yes...but the Fire truck, the Kraz, The M54 Camper, The diamond T, the OT 65...The jeep, The Ural motorcycle, The M62 Wrecker. The G.M.C. 135, The C.P. 22 trailer,
As well!
If that was my fleet, I would have to add "and the inflatable tent I'm living in since my wife kicked me out"

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Charlie175

Pulled the Lift pump, it would hum but not pump. Impeller part was gummed up bad. Let it soak in Extreme Super Clean for a while, scrubbed it and it came out pretty clean (Mine must have been repaired before as it was screwed together) installed it but left the pipe off and turned on the power. It was like a water hose shooting out! Truck starts better now for sure.
Truck sat for 8 years before I got it. Who knows how long the diesel was in it. Pumped it all out and burned brush with it.
Next task is to remove the fuel level arm and get that working. It was stuck and gummed up. Reading full still, so its not working even though I reached in and freed it up.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charlie, don't waste your time with the old Fuel Level Sending Unit, toss it and install a new one. Speaking from experience you'll just end up fighting with it, and they are a pain to take in and out. New ones aren't too expensive about $50/$60 MS500040-5 for the M35A2.

Last edited:

Charlie175

Charlie, don't waste your time with the old Fuel Level Sending Unit, toss it and install a new one. Speaking from experience you'll just end up fighting with it, and they are a pain to take in and out. New ones aren't too expensive about $50/$60 MS500040-5 for the M35A2.
OK, haven't looked one up yet.
Got a wheel cylinder leaking also, one of the duels so that should be fun. Never had them off before.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, haven't looked one up yet.
Got a wheel cylinder leaking also, one of the duels so that should be fun. Never had them off before.
Charlie, if you choose to rebuild your wheel cylinder get the correct hone and use the NAPA rebuild kit #54. Everything you need is there and it's Made in the USA. Also don't forget the Rear Axle Cork Seal # 713795.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks