• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dieselfitter

Dipstick,
thanks for the dc lesson and the welding comment ,
i statred welding with my dad as he was a blacksmith for over 50 yrs
then i took up pipefitting for 34 yrs . The last 4 yrs of my career was at a nuclear naval base and i have to say the nuc welders are the best welders i have seen , they turn xray welding into an art form ! My eyes are passed the age of nuc welding !

the alt conversion went well for me with the exception of waiting 2 wks for a pulley.
trouble shooting the volt reg and the generator was mind boggling for me , way to many hrs spent on tm’s trying to solve.

my property in NY is mostly clay ,and logging before it was froze up was messy , it is amazing what these trucks can move through. With the truck loaded ,the 395 goodyears filled up with clay and looked like big chocolate donuts , but kept the truck going forward . I never once had to pull the truck out of being stuck!

we are about 3-4 months from making the final move out of NY and to WY for our retirement yrs . I will be hiring a trucking outfit to move my deuces and tractor.
i see there is a transport forum here on the site and will prob seek help there first.

the last addition to the deuce was mudflaps , mainly to keep it road legal .
the next big job will be the pto shift shaft seals , i hate the mental strain of oil spots on my garage floor !

Dipstick

Dipstick,
i forgot to mention that i looked up the ship you served on , impressive boat for sure . That must have been awesome to be a part of that experience !
Dieselfitter, I really enjoy your posts! I installed a Woltech alternator on Brutus. Alternators are much more reliable than generators because generators have spring loaded carbon/copper brushes that transfer the current from the spinning rotor. The brushes can be a problem as they wear/crack. Generators in old cars and trucks usually had firewall mounted voltage regulators. Alternators have built in voltage regulators and so they are much easier to wire up. I've personally completely rewired two pickup trucks from taillight to headlight and one of them I converted from 6v to 12v (not a big deal really).

I think you once posted about your welding experience which is as impressive as your results. I know exactly what you mean about Nucs being the top of the line. I had a friend on my ship named Tom Johnson who was a former nuclear machinist mate aboard a nuclear boat. Tom was an AWESOME mechanic and a highly respected Top Watch in the engine room. lpd4_2.jpg This is a picture of business end of a ship like mine. It also shows some of my areas of responsibility. We dropped the huge stern gate and flooded the ballast tanks with sea water until the well deck had about 8 feet of sea water in it. The boat seen going into the flooded well deck is about a 100 feet long and could transport three or four Deuces at a time. The boat alongside the ship is most likely the Officer's Gig and was 36 feet long and powered by a 318 Detroit. Some were turbocharged. I performed maintenance and operated all of the systems including the de-ballast air compressors, boat and aircraft crane (with which we typically used to hoist fully loaded Deuces and boats onto the ship. I also functioned as a boat mechanic overhauling engines and transmissions and going out on boat runs.

Wyoming is an interesting choice for retirement. The scenery is stunning and I've read that Wyoming is very tax friendly. You must be getting very excited about it. It's a lot of effort to move all of your stuff that far and begin a new life. Best wishes for success and happiness to you both in Wyoming! I moved to PA in 2015 when I retired, because I couldn't afford to buy even a shed in NJ. It was easier to drive my Deuce in NJ because the hills are not as steep as in the Poconos. The only other negative is that I'm farther away from my adult kids than I was before.

I look forward to your future posts and apologize for jawing about myself so much!

Dieselfitter

Dipstick,
your military experiences are interesting to me as well.
i have friends that spent time in the armed forces and enjoy the stories they tell.
I guess generally as people get older ,with the knowledge and experiences they accumulate, they get more interesting ! At lease my neighbor (who lives 1/2 mile away) seems to think im interesting , he is constantly riding his 4 wheeler by at .03 mph
with his nose in my buissness ! Lol

being from NJ im sure you share the same reasons that i have for moving .
we live in Ephratah ny which is a nice sm town ,lots good people and no crime at all til a few yrs ago.
upstate is beautiful , i enjoy the outdoors and all its critters except for the fox circling the hen house .
50 arces here with house and garage on a dirt rd with no municipal water or sewage services nets me a $6500 property tax bill every yr .
i just cant afford to retire in Ny or retire early. Logging a lil on the land has helped with taxes and supplied me timber to build houses.
In WY i have over double the acres with house and smaller garage (downsizing mistake) and a $800 per yr tax bill.
we are off grid and love it ,i dont feel like a prepper ,but enough people call me that . Its been a 12 yr project i bought the land and started building there each yr taking another load of timber across country to erect the house . No trees on a high plains desert to cut , mill , build with and post & beam timber kits are very over priced In my opinion.
the house there is up ,the downstairs is finished as well as the garage .the sale of the house in NY will provide the funds to finish the upstairs .
last year i finished the solar electric system and is the biggest improvement since a flush toilet 5 yrs ago !
shuting off the lights at night when going to bed used to involve a pair of shoes to kill the generator , come to think of it a trip to the bathroom 5 yrs ago required shoes also !
composting toilet outside to flush toilet inside / kinda like generator to alternator ?! I guess i was born 100 yrs to late.
And whats more exciting than living on the most active hotspot volcano on the planet ! We are real close to livin the dream.

wild fires out there seem to plague the region we had one close to us last yr when we were there , which leads me to my 2nd deuce build ,
m35a2 beat up parts wagon mostly ,but with a bad motor ,solid frame and gearboxes intact , a project is born.
jatonta is the best , he is transplanting a 5 ton multifuel engine into it to get her moving ! I ll do what i think i need ,to build a prairie fire fighting rig 6x6 on super singles . 1200 gal tank and high presssure pump should at lease help in a bad situation . THe nearest fire company to us out there is 45 -60 mins away . There are 26 mailboxes on the paved road where the dirt road leads to 8400 acres we all live on , so the truck can also help keep a house fire at bay til the professionals get there .
im building this truck hoping to never use it !
ok i deff rambled on about my life to long ,my thumbs are tired and its almost daylight , time to finish my coffee and take the mutt for a walk.
good day to all you MV patriot types !

Bulletpaluza

I replaced the coolant manifold hoses and gaskets. My hoses had sprung a leak also put a new radiator cap on.

Got my emergency brake brake freed up I do need to order the cable for it but it was stuck slightly on.

I poured a few gallons of gas into the tank onto 25ish gallons of deisel that is God only knows how old it didn't smell like any kind of fuel so I wanted to liven it up a bit with that I added 1 fresh quart of ATF just for its cleaning and lubing properties.
20220129_092637.jpg

Dipstick

I replaced the coolant manifold hoses and gaskets. My hoses had sprung a leak also put a new radiator cap on.

Got my emergency brake brake freed up I do need to order the cable for it but it was stuck slightly on.

I poured a few gallons of gas into the tank onto 25ish gallons of deisel that is God only knows how old it didn't smell like any kind of fuel so I wanted to liven it up a bit with that I added 1 fresh quart of ATF just for its cleaning and lubing properties.
View attachment 857481
Hello Bulletpaluza. Nice Picture. I had to replace my coolant manifold hoses too. It's not too bad a job. My biggest fear was snapping a stud off in the head. It didn't happen thank goodness. I did put anti-seize on the threads when I put it back together. I also put a thin coating of Perma-Tex on the gaskets.

Some thoughts on fuel. Fuel injection components are lubricated by the diesel fuel they use because diesel fuel has a high wax content. That's why diesel fuel can gel in low temperatures. Gasoline has no lubricating properties and therefore it's reducing the lubricity of the fuel system rather than helping it. I don't really think adding ATF is a good idea either. The best thing for a multifuel engine is straight diesel fuel with a small amount of readily available anti-gel compound added to it. It has all the diesel fuel conditioner you will ever need already in it. It's designed for diesel engines. I know that some members use refined cooking oil and such, but the design of the multi-fuel engine was really made for emergency capability in a war zone where diesel fuel might become scarce. I think the Deuce Operators Manual even states that diesel fuel is the preferred food for multi-fuels.

Sorry to bore you with my opinions, but I learned about fuel systems in Navy Engineman School and I rebuilt fuel injectors aboard my ship as a member of the boat shop. It was 10 degrees outside when I started Brutus yesterday. He started right up. Anti-gel is the reason why. The only time I ever used a mist of either to start my truck was once in 2013 before I knew about anti-gel. It was -4 degrees on that day.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Bulletpaluza. Nice Picture. I had to replace my coolant manifold hoses too. It's not too bad a job. My biggest fear was snapping a stud off in the head. It didn't happen thank goodness. I did put anti-seize on the threads when I put it back together. I also put a thin coating of Perma-Tex on the gaskets.

Some thoughts on fuel. Fuel injection components are lubricated by the diesel fuel they use because diesel fuel has a high wax content. That's why diesel fuel can gel in low temperatures. Gasoline has no lubricating properties and therefore it's reducing the lubricity of the fuel system rather than helping it. I don't really think adding ATF is a good idea either. The best thing for a multifuel engine is straight diesel fuel with a small amount of readily available anti-gel compound added to it. It has all the diesel fuel conditioner you will ever need already in it. It's designed for diesel engines. I know that some members use refined cooking oil and such, but the design of the multi-fuel engine was really made for emergency capability in a war zone where diesel fuel might become scarce. I think the Deuce Operators Manual even states that diesel fuel is the preferred food for multi-fuels.

Sorry to bore you with my opinions, but I learned about fuel systems in Navy Engineman School and I rebuilt fuel injectors aboard my ship as a member of the boat shop. It was 10 degrees outside when I started Brutus yesterday. He started right up. Anti-gel is the reason why. The only time I ever used a mist of either to start my truck was once in 2013 before I knew about anti-gel. It was -4 degrees on that day.
The diesel the deuce was designed to originally use had a LOT of sulfur in it, and that sulfur acted as a lubricity enhancer. The stuff nowadays has almost no sulfur and thus needs a lubricity enhancer for those who want a long life out of their engines. YMMV.

Bulletpaluza

The diesel the deuce was designed to originally use had a LOT of sulfur in it, and that sulfur acted as a lubricity enhancer. The stuff nowadays has almost no sulfur and thus needs a lubricity enhancer for those who want a long life out of their engines. YMMV.
Yeah I am a mechanic for a living. I run my other diesle trucks and tractor (2002 ford excursion 7.3 with 300k and 1962 ford powermaster tractor) off of a 75% used filtered atf I get for free from the shop I work at to 25% diesle. Unless I know I'll be towing a heavey load. This truck is a 1985 and I think the fuel is probably from 1990 came to me with a half tank I need to burn through it so I can change my filters and put good fresh fuel in it. This fuel has zero order and the truck barley wants to run on it. The atf was to help lube what the gas was not and I have no clue how much this old diesle is lubing anything either. At any rate 3 gallons of gas to 25+ gallons of old diesle really isn't doing anything and neither is that 1 qt of atf other then it all makes me feel better while I run this truck as low as I can.

I do like reading stories of service members who worked on these thanks for sharing that and your knowledge.

Dipstick

Best Diesel Fuel Additives (motortrend.com) You are correct on several points Bulletpalooza. I stand corrected. Thank you. I did some research after I read your post concerning low-sulpher content diesel fuel. It not only doesn't lubricate well, but it also attracts water which can lead to rust in the system. I included the above link to show that there are great diesel fuel additives that have many advantages. The first one "Diesel Extreme" boosts the cetane level, helps remove moisture from the fuel, and lubricates the injectors. I will be looking for this at AutoZone or Napa. It might be expensive, but the Deuce's fuel tank is pretty small and so it probably won't need very much. In any case, using it will be much less expensive than a new injection pump or injectors. My Deuce is an '84. I only wish it had the more modern dual circuit brake system.

Dipstick

IMG_0514.jpg
Well...this is what I've been using. It contains cetane boost, Slick 50 injector lube, and anti-gel. I just noticed it's on the Motortrend top 5 list. It's also endorsed by Cummins. It's probably expensive, but I can treat about 6 or 7 tank fills (given that I never let the tank go below 1/4 full). Small price to pay for the protection.

Dieselfitter

1643807348805.jpeg1643807348805.jpegThis has been awarded a best additive for low sulfur diesel fuels, there are a few recipes for what your abjectives are for the fuel your running .
its hard to find in local store here. ,so i order through amazon , the gal is a good buy compared to smaller bottles.
i have used power service for many years before finding this product . I have not noticed any difference in either use , both are good at anti gel . I use my diesels trucks all winter and sub zero temps will test your fuels.
jatonka has a full write up on his site for fuel additives and is quite informative if you have time to read it. It is more expensive than power service ,but the dose per gal is small, So a gal will last a while .
generally in my time on this planet i have learned that you get what you pay for ,so this is my choice.
power service is very easy to find on shelves to buy and convenience can win the day. !

bottom line you need an additive in your low sulfur fuel in any older diesel motor ,and if in warm climate the anti gel properties are not as important .

ok i gotta get my lazy butt up and start my truck and my day !

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
View attachment 857698View attachment 857698This has been awarded a best additive for low sulfur diesel fuels, there are a few recipes for what your abjectives are for the fuel your running .
its hard to find in local store here. ,so i order through amazon , the gal is a good buy compared to smaller bottles.
i have used power service for many years before finding this product . I have not noticed any difference in either use , both are good at anti gel . I use my diesels trucks all winter and sub zero temps will test your fuels.
jatonka has a full write up on his site for fuel additives and is quite informative if you have time to read it. It is more expensive than power service ,but the dose per gal is small, So a gal will last a while .
generally in my time on this planet i have learned that you get what you pay for ,so this is my choice.
power service is very easy to find on shelves to buy and convenience can win the day. !

bottom line you need an additive in your low sulfur fuel in any older diesel motor ,and if in warm climate the anti gel properties are not as important .

There is more of them too

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 857698View attachment 857698This has been awarded a best additive for low sulfur diesel fuels, there are a few recipes for what your abjectives are for the fuel your running .

5 gallon buckets brings down the cost per gallon to $54.50 or about 10.6 cents per gallon of diesel treated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks