• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Carlo

Took the truck to the local nursery and got some top soil for my wife’s flower bed for mother’s day- the cashier looked confused when I purchased four scoops—she told me that one scoop “would fill your truck up”… I just smiled, and she asked if I had a trailer to haul it with and I just smiled again and said nope, just my truck, and walked out. The final look she gave me was priceless- it said you are an idiot. I don’t know if she saw me pull away—with room to spare! Then I unloaded it by one shovel at a time…. I need a M929! At least my wife can’t say “what in the %&#@ are you going to do with that?” anymore!

View attachment 427684
View attachment 427685View attachment 427686View attachment 427687
These wifes seem to think we collect these trucks as toys! Good show!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locomotive Air Horn

Installed a big noise maker! Slipped a Nathan Airchime P-3 locmotive air horn under the hood nicely out of sight. It fits perfectly in the area forward of the air intake behind the headlight. I chose the P-3 because I am a fan the Southern Pacific, who used them extensively on their motive power out west, and they have a great sound.
SDC11933.jpg
I mounted a the real deal Graham-White metering valve under the driver's seat pulling air from the trailer emergency air behind the cab. Connected everything up with DOT 1/2" inch push to fit air brake fittings and tubing and a bulkhead fitting through the firewall.. I plumbed a cut-out valve behind at the metering valve so it can be disabled. The inner portion of the fender is reforced with 1/4" plate steel for mounting. The horn can be removed quickly for ease of engine compartment maintenance. It's a blast, no pun intended, playing around with it. I am planning on powder-coating it.
SDC11930.jpgSDC11932.jpg

Last edited:

Welder Sam

Installed a big noise maker! Slipped a Nathan Airchime P-3 locmotive air horn under the hood nicely out of sight. It fits perfectly in the area forward of the air intake behind the headlight. I chose the P-3 because I am a fan the Southern Pacific, who used them extensively on their motive power out west, and they have a great sound.
View attachment 428049
I mounted a the real deal Graham-White metering valve under the driver's seat pulling air from the trailer emergency air behind the cab. Connected everything up with DOT 1/2" inch push to fit air brake fittings and tubing and a bulkhead fitting through the firewall.. I plumbed a cut-out valve behind at the metering valve so it can be disabled. The inner portion of the fender is reforced with 1/4" plate steel for mounting. The horn can be removed quickly for ease of engine compartment maintenance. It's a blast, no pun intended, playing around with it. I am planning on powder-coating it.
View attachment 428050View attachment 428051
Great job! Hey, i was talking to one of the guys that unstuck my wrecker about putting a train horn on. He said he used a trailer brake valve/handle and put it where its supposed to be so it looked right if he were to get stopped.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job! Hey, i was talking to one of the guys that unstuck my wrecker about putting a train horn on. He said he used a trailer brake valve/handle and put it where its supposed to be so it looked right if he were to get stopped.
The "shelf" right behind the left headlight keeps mine nicely out of sight.

I just tapped off the existing horn solenoid and added a fire engine horn. It sounds a heck of a lot meaner than the stock ones.
What I like about the Graham-White valve is you can meter out the sound...give a little or the whole shootin'-match. Certainly does grab peoples attention. I had a guy, he was making an illegal left turn, pass me on the right while I was making a left turn. Needless to say he got a flow blast of the horn.

Welder Sam

No, i meant the trailer brake control valve on the tractor steering column, in cab. Sounds like a great idea as far as looking right and accessibility.

You did a great job with yours and i mean no negativity.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, i meant the trailer brake control valve on the tractor steering column, in cab. Sounds like a great idea as far as looking right and accessibility.

You did a great job with yours and i mean no negativity.
None taken:-D The hand brake set up is a great idea. Air flow can be metered.

ARYankee

I fired up the 813 that has been sitting in my front yard for the first time in almost a year. I took the 923 camping last weekend....... I think it had a good time :)

HASSON1911

Started painting my 923 whoever said this is fun is DEAD wrong! Bumper is the start I got one side of the hood done and the tailgate primed....hitting the worst rust firstResizedImage_1369674439032.jpg

ares1986

this week got the fording kit, a 6707 6044_10200227952994389_1213975634_n.jpg306887_10200498650761664_249340274_n.jpgantenna asseymbly , two new 14.00r20s and a air pre cleaner. pulled the troop seats out and painted them and rhino lined the inside of the bed,heres a before and after pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks