• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

zout

I went and actually looked at mine for the first time since purchasing it a couple weeks ago. About pee'd my pants when I saw it because I knew it was going to be the perfect truck for that RV box to get swapped off the 109 and magically turn it into a M909 (as Ferro would say).

battlecr

Took a break from working on my halftrack and finished hooking up my M52A2 up to my goose neck trailer. Built a box with relays for the 12volt lighting and used a battery equalizer for the 12v tap. Did electric trailer brakes and all. Fun project! Don G.

Attachments

One step closer to getting the bed finished. Pulled the center, cut piece out and moved the ends together. Just need to grind a few spots and start welding. Overall length is now 10' 7", I think that'll work well.
It stinks that work keeps getting in the way of my hobby projects.

Attachments

BigWill1985

So, I just returned from an overseas deployment with the Navy, and did a once-over inspection of my truck today (1971 M817). Looks like someone helped themselves to the battery boxes and batteries, and cut the battery cable where it comes past the cab to top it off... Gah, so frustrating! It's going to take me another 2-3 months to afford to replace everything, unless I can find a decent deal on a set of battery boxes... I guess I'll just run new cables (was needed anyway, as the originals were starting to heat up during hard starts), and probably run two Optima batteries in series to get her rolling until I can find a reasonably priced set of 6TL's. It's just insanely ironic that I was giving up my freedoms overseas and came back to find that someone stole from me....

Oh well, I guess it doesn't do any good to complain. Time to get hunting for replacement parts!

~Will Courtier~

battlecr

Will sorry to hear what happened to you that sucks. I hope you find your parts. I took my 5 ton out on it's first road trip. It ran well although my steering has a tight spot in the center. feels like a bearing in the column as it seams to turn just fine. Don G.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
-I have put everything back together after changing the front seal on the transmission...jackshaft, clutch linkage, sprag air, etc...then decided to upgrade all air lines (fwd, rev, and supply) for the sprag to 3/8"OD DOT push-to-connect.
SDC12047.jpgSDC12048.jpgSDC12049.jpg

-New return spring on brake pedal...
-Custom installed 2-way adjustable HMMWV seat and base on passenger side...
-Currently fabricating a center seat frame for a FMTV seat.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NICE fittings Brian! Are you getting those local or do you have a URL for me?
McMaster-Carr down in Norwalk. Search air brake fittings on their website...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-brake-tube-fittings/=ne4n6j link on that page for tubing.

The prices are decent and I can get them in two days shipped or one day will call. Eventually I'd like to replace everything with the nylon tubing and push-to-connect fittings. They are a whole lot easier to deal with and versatile than the copper tube and decompression fittings.

BigWill1985

I got my truck running again today!

I Had to replace the battery boxes, battery cables, and batteries that were stolen while I was deployed. The battery boxes and cables were donated from two different members on the forum, and I just picked up two refurbished Group 31 batteries from Interstate Batteries. Got everything tossed in and the old girl fired right off. I figure I'll pick up some 6TL batteries as I am able to afford them.

Such a good feeling being able to drive the truck again!

~Will Courtier~

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Side blinkers to eliminate the blinker semi-blind spot. They are daylight visible and bright at night. With the 2 of them on each side the blinker can be seen from the side and from the left and right rear offset.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side blinkers to eliminate the blinker semi-blind spot. They are daylight visible and bright at night. With the 2 of them on each side the blinker can be seen from the side and from the left and right rear offset.
Porsche Cayenne style under the fender. Very nice[thumbzup]

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Thanks it makes it really visible if someone is on the side offset far back so they can't see the front or new side blinker but they are too far forward to see the rear blinker. Even the tractor is so long compared to most cars today. I am going to to the same to my 923 when I get around to it.

BigWill1985

So, today I put some foam in around the batteries in the M817, so the group 31 batteries don't just bounce around inside of the boxes. Once I finished that up, my wife let me know that I needed to get some groceries. So, I figured what the heck. I hopped into the M817 and drove in to get groceries at the Commissary in Norfolk. I got my groceries (not a ton of stuff, but enough to fill the seat and floor board and passenger seats). As the bagger girl walked out with my groceries, I pointed to where I was parked (far corner of the parking lot). She asked if I was parked next to that huge Army truck, and I quickly replied that I was driving the big army truck. You guys should have seen the look on her face... I had to help her get everything into the cab, as she couldn't reach the driver's seat without climbing up onto the battery box cover. :D

Ahhh, the life of owning a 5 ton....

~Will Courtier~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks