• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

AMGeneral

I finished installing the NEW box seat covers I ordered from John Tennis(thanks again!) on the M54A1C, I also converted all 3 5 ton front winches over to John Deere cornhead grease this weekend.( 5 gallons worth!)

BTW, It takes more than 5 gallons to fully fill both the worm gear and clutch sides on 3 5 ton winches,the other 5 gallon pail should be here next week.

NOTE, If the box seats on that truck look a little "plump" to be normal, I use 3 inch thick seat foam on top of the springs for a better cushion, this works well on every box seat I have done, they seem to ride better than the spring seat when recovered like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have done nothing due to I don't have any 5 tons no more.
And I am really starting to miss them.
Maybe I will have a HEMTT one day lol.

Another Ahab

Why not be the first on your block with some good old Russian iron instead.

Want to get all your neighbors talking?

- Try parking this 16x16 rig in your driveway.

Guaranteed to get a conversation going.

russian.jpg

machinist75

Got my injection pump back from the diesel shop and the truck runs like a champ. Big shout out to Will Wagner for all the help and the recommendation of a good shop he knows. They even cleaned up the pump and gave it a new coat of paint. Now I just need to order a new shutter stat, replaced all the orings and it still leaking like a sieve.

Attachments

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VERY reason I haven't been willing to move up. I just am not ready to let my 5 go, I love that truck. I really do. But I want a HEMTT.........

I did get a new O ring installed in the RF tire, sure is nice not to air up every day.

azteclizard

I changed the oil today. I went ahead and used Rotella 15/40 and added some STP zddp additive.
While i was at it I changed out the canister filters for spin on Wix filters. It looks sharp.

my blood flows OD

I just got the filters to do my fuel and oil. I was thinking about changing to spin on but I got the Napa 3401. Thru work I got it for $24. I got my Napa oil filter for $8.
is there a parts list for doing the spin on filter upgrade. Making the braket is easy I just looking for part #'s for the spin on filter prodject.

machinist75

Installed some NOS lollipop lights today. I already had the brackets and some one sided amber lights, but the new ones are amber on one side and red on the other. I think I'm going to take the leftover brackets, lights and mount them and the lights on the rear just under the brake lights and wire them I'm as turn signals.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed some NOS lollipop lights today. I already had the brackets and some one sided amber lights, but the new ones are amber on one side and red on the other. I think I'm going to take the leftover brackets, lights and mount them and the lights on the rear just under the brake lights and wire them I'm as turn signals.
I also did the same thing. You can replace the red lens with a amber lens easily so you are DOT complacent. Tractor supply has the yellow lens or any HD parts as they are common. Front turn signals have to be amber on the front both sides. I really like the extra visibility of the amber lolipops both sides so traffic can see better.
I got a plastic one sided set and use them in the back as my "3rd" brake light/turn signal. Just a small hole and I did not need the bracket. I just swapped the red lens I took off the front and used it on the back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Plane Fast

Airing up my front tires. I always have time to look the truck over. I noticed one of the front air brake lines looked funny. Moved it with my hands and it broke off!!image.jpg I've had no problems with the brakes, no leaks or dragging. We all know that the lines are old on these trucks, but man they deteriorate fast. I went ahead and took off all the lines. I'm going to have new ones made. Really the only way to see if they are bad, is to take them off and flex them.image.jpg
With the truck being down, it gave me a chance to fix the only leak on the truck. The power steering pump.
I found a few more lines that are rubbing. Fixing that as well. The back side of the power steering pump, hide the leak. (Was not even a drip)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airing up my front tires. I always have time to look the truck over. I noticed one of the front air brake lines looked funny. Moved it with my hands and it broke off!!View attachment 612126 I've had no problems with the brakes, no leaks or dragging. We all know that the lines are old on these trucks, but man they deteriorate fast. I want ahead and took off all the lines and I'm going to have new ones made. Really the only way to see if they are bad, is to take them off and flex them.
If that is the line going to the brake chamber, they are stock civy items available at any hd store including NAPA. They will also have the DOT air brake certified collar on them.
They are very reasonable priced.
Some shops can make them out of hose and crimp on fittings but might not carry the certification.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks