• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

twisted60

Got a few items fixed on my 5 ton, Alternator changed out to civi and it's working. Fuel gauge and sender changed now I know how much fuel I have, got both headlights changed out to H4's so I can see better, next step to change out both temp gauges and both air pressure gauges on panel, fix or remove CTIS, install EGT and Boost gauges, install back up camera and last change out o-rings in 3 rear tires that leak slowly.

74M35A2

I don't use and take back, but I don't think what he did was theft either. He paid for it, he didn't have a buddy that works there throw it into the alley and pick it up after they close. That would be theft. I just checked, and Harbor Freight has a 90 day return policy, including for items used. They post a 20% restocking fee, which would generally cover their profit margin on it anyway, and is their option to exercise it. It could be questioned if it is morally correct and all that, and maybe that is what was meant here, but I don't see it as theft/stealing, if he paid for it and abided by their policies, which he seemingly did.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced two wedge/spring assemblies. Replaced a brake can tube. Snapped off some how. Few air lines took a hit. Slowly working my way thru getting rid of the flared compression air line fittings. Replaced my front shocks. Measured for adding shocks to my rear axles.
Ok So a few weeks ago I elaborated on replacing my plastic air lines from the little connection system on top of the axle to the spring/service cans. I didn't do them all at once just over time. I got a few more made up today for the rear bogie swap. Basically the secondary line from the service side to the T on the spring side along with the service line off the same T to the connection tree on top of the axle, As well as the red (primary line) off the tree to the spring side are all the same length or can be made that length with the cotton jacket line. It is DOT approved hose @ 500psi Parker # 293-6.

All of the fittings that screw into the air brake tubes and the chamber as well as the tree up top for ALL of the lines are 3/8" pipe thread. You will need I think 12 total for the top 2 trees. The larger air line on the spring side is a 3/8" air line but still has 3/8" pipe on both ends screwed into the bases.

The parker crimp fittings for the air hoses will be # 10626-6-6. These will be the correct female fittings for all of the smaller air lines. The 3/8" pipe to JIC thread is a male connector parker # 6-6 FTX-S. You will need 16 of these. You will need four 3/8" Street Tee's. These are for the spring side crossover to the service brake air line and up to the tree. Parker number #2225P-6

What is in the picture is what it would you would use from the Tree to the wheel side port on the spring side. The Tee would screw into the tube and then the other line goes over to the service side.

All of the other larger air lines should be JIC fittings anyways.

One thing I do and I strongly suggest especially in cold weather or if you go offroad in your truck a good bit. Grab a handful of 3/8" pipe plugs male and females and throw them in your toolbox or your mapbox. Just to have them in case you do rip a line or break one off. The Tree fittings are 11/16" socket size to get them out and throw a pipe plug in it or pull the elbows off the cans and put the female on it and a male in the hole. You may not have a brake working but you won't bleed off air pressure. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't use and take back, but I don't think what he did was theft either. He paid for it, he didn't have a buddy that works there throw it into the alley and pick it up after they close. That would be theft. I just checked, and Harbor Freight has a 90 day return policy, including for items used. They post a 20% restocking fee, which would generally cover their profit margin on it anyway, and is their option to exercise it. It could be questioned if it is morally correct and all that, and maybe that is what was meant here, but I don't see it as theft/stealing, if he paid for it and abided by their policies, which he seemingly did.
It is ok Clint. One thing i noticed was that noone that knows me personally or deals with me by text just being friendly or to help with problems Thanked him for the post. Maybe I shouldn't have my truck like he said if I can't afford it. Yet she makes money everyday.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My methodology for taking it back was that is was not safe to use again. The jack would not come down easily on it's own when you released the pressure off it's knob style release. The transmission fell off the jack several times. The top plate that is suppose to be adjustable would flop and fall forward almost 3inches when trying to adjust a small bit. Even with a strap on it the jack would become unstable and when you have any transmission, I don't care if its a 700R4 at 34 inches off the ground I don't want or need something moving around to a point to where I don't want to be anywhere near it while trying to align it up or put bolts into a transmission. The jack even resulted in an injury to a friend of mine when it wanted to drop suddenly and flop to one side. In the end it took 3 of us to get it all up and in there and manhandled into place. Next time I will just lift it up into the truck myself like its a bag of dog food.

Just cause I said I returned it when I got done didn't mean I was trying to scam someone out of anything. Everyone here knows that they aren't the best quality of tools when you go there. I had never ever pulled a transmission on a 939 and done it on the ground before either so I thought I would give it a shot. It is clear that the jack may get the job done in the long run but I wouldn't try to do it repeatedly with one. Especially not on these heavy things. Sorry I did not know that I needed to have the gracious opinion of someone I have never met to return something and be called a thief. Probably never need to cross that road. Anyone who had the remote clue about what was going on the replacing my transmission with the jack knows what was going on because I talked to them on a regular basis and not getting the opinion of someone who has or had no input in it at all. Not to mention it was not the same transmission going back into my 923 that came out so it was not a simple in and out procedure.

Maybe someone should ask me why I returned it when I said it rather than rambling off with their fingers on their own little rant thinking I was just trying to get one over on someone.. If you think that the big box store brands wouldn't try to get one over on you then maybe reality isn't in your future.
You are correct, Sir, in that I jumped to a conclusion - the only conclusion reasonably presumed from the brief details originally disclosed.
The old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words," is exemplified here. Conversely, those same thousand words would have allow us all a clearer picture all around. Brevity is not always our friend.

I apologize for not asking for the missing details before presuming anything beyond what you had posted.

gottaluvit

Got a few items fixed on my 5 ton, Alternator changed out to civi and it's working. Fuel gauge and sender changed now I know how much fuel I have, got both headlights changed out to H4's so I can see better, next step to change out both temp gauges and both air pressure gauges on panel, fix or remove CTIS, install EGT and Boost gauges, install back up camera and last change out o-rings in 3 rear tires that leak slowly.
Which seal is it? I just recently started having a tire go down in less than a week and no sign of where anything penetrated the tire. I will just change all of them out if nice weather ever arrives. Size and p/n greatly appreciated. I havn't researched it yet since the weather hasn't been kind enough up here for me to (want to) do the work yet.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which seal is it? I just recently started having a tire go down in less than a week and no sign of where anything penetrated the tire. I will just change all of them out if nice weather ever arrives. Size and p/n greatly appreciated. I havn't researched it yet since the weather hasn't been kind enough up here for me to (want to) do the work yet.
Dont forget, bad (leaking) wheel valve will also let your tire go down...

Amer-team

If you change the seals in the rims, be sure to wire brush and clean the daylights our of the area where the seal seats. I took it to the tire shop and had them do 4 wheels, two were still bleeding off, but slower. Took it back, stayed and watched and they had not done a real good job on cleaning the seat. I had taken my grinder and wire brush and asked if they minded if I took a shot at it. That one isn't leaking anymore. This one is an A2 so the CTIS is all over the place, in leaking hoses, fittings, does the CTIS module work. I am going to take take the valves off the rims. One less problem to deal with. Maybe will rebuild and reinstall at a later date.

gottaluvit

Sounds like a temporary deletion/bypass will eliminate if it is the valve or it's seals/o-rings or the large rim seals. I have the rim seals but most likely will not replace them until I replace the tires. Seems these old tires are wearing fast anyway.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran the kids around to see some neighborhood holiday lights... Made my own that caused more of a stir in most of the neighborhoods we visited. Could've been the roxbox in the bed that was pumping out Pentatonix Christmas tunes at 200 watts too. :p
IMG_5758.jpgIMG_5762.jpgIMG_5755.jpg

Josh

Got my "new" old transmission removed today. Got the new new one put in and most of thingies bolted too it. Reman transmission was so much smoother to do then the take out I wish I hadn't tried to cheap out in the first place. Hope to have the truck back on the road before Saturday. I've had the truck 3 months now and I have spent more time swapping transmissions then driving it. Hopefully I'll be able to make up the difference this weekend.:grd:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1088 drained the rear rear again to get rid of the milk job because someone thought these trucks are water proof. Removed both front axle caps and checked the planetary gears.

Josh

New trans is in. Took it for a drive. I got to get use to how it shifts. New trans shifts a much higher RPM and much smoother. I got a few things to address before I can road trip it. I can't tell right now if it has a leak or if some of the fluid I spilled is just dripping. Because my truck is a A0 truck but it has a turbo, we had to remove the exhaust to gain access to the torque converter bolts. I think it didn't seal all completely back up when we installed it so that is an issue I need to take care of. Also has a weird smell, it almost smells like a dragging brake, but its pretty faint when sitting still and cant smell it when driving. It might have to be that it sat for almost 3 months. More details and pictures to come in the day light.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year after changing out gladhand ball valve trying to run down leaks on my system I noticed when I was fueling up the other day inside the fuel tank at the entry point was pretty Rusty on that screen. I bought the truck it didn't look like this now 500 Miles later it has this rust buildup on that screen anybody have any input on what's going on? I'm surprised that diesel fuel sloshing around would create a rust on this filler neck screen.

Thanks

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When got truck tank was 1/3 full, and probably sat this way for quite a long time.
I was thinking maybe military was using a better quality fuel instead of weesle piss that we get from the local gas station.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking maybe they were using JP 8. I'd like to get some of that and blend it in with my fuel maybe that would solve my problem

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks