• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

Sprayed saltwater all up under it! That is the bad part. Good part is it ran like a champ on a 250 mile round trip pulling an M1082 trailer loaded on the return with 3700 lbs and snow covered roads. Had to lock in the front differential coming up from the valley close to my house on an unpaved road. It had a couple inches of snow and a 100' drop off with no guard rail. Thought it best to not wait til it was too late to lock it in.

big block 88

Plugged the block heater back in for the nasty cold coming again. I see there is coolant leaking from somewhere by the oil cooler. I see a small pool of coolant on the ground under the truck also in the same area.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? Its too **** cold to go try and hunt down the leak.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plugged the block heater back in for the nasty cold coming again. I see there is coolant leaking from somewhere by the oil cooler. I see a small pool of coolant on the ground under the truck also in the same area.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? Its too **** cold to go try and hunt down the leak.
I would check your hose clamps.

big block 88

Hose clamp is what im hoping for. All i felt like doing in the cold was grabbing it and checking the hose for tightness. It "seemed" tight. Supposed to warm up in the next week i should be able to get out and check it out.

Its been exposed to - temps several times this year im hoping the oil cooler didnt crack or somthing a long those lines.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hose clamp is what im hoping for. All i felt like doing in the cold was grabbing it and checking the hose for tightness. It "seemed" tight. Supposed to warm up in the next week i should be able to get out and check it out.

Its been exposed to - temps several times this year im hoping the oil cooler didnt crack or somthing a long those lines.
Have parts in stock sir!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

big block 88

If i can ever move all my **** deuce parts i will get the barn cleaned up again and start piling parts for the 5 tons. Issue this year was we got our 925 running and a friends 923 running so the few parts i had have been exhausted.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got tired of changing heater blower motors, this is the 4th ruined motor between 2 trucks. Used a mrap vent fan, will do a write up when I get to building the 2nd motor. 2nd photo is a comparison between old and new motor sizes

View attachment 661205View attachment 661204
I'd appreciate a write-up. My surplus guy has one that I planned on picking up for the same purpose. The data plate showed it pulls 28A though. If it creates much better heat and volume I'll give it a shot.

therooster2001

Might also be the petcock down there.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd appreciate a write-up. My surplus guy has one that I planned on picking up for the same purpose. The data plate showed it pulls 28A though. If it creates much better heat and volume I'll give it a shot.
you are correct on 28 amps, the heater CB is 30 amps, so just squeaked under. I only run mine on low, high speed sounds like its going to eat through the fire wall, but this is also the first run, so there will be upgrades.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks