• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started my big changeover to the M915 Battery box. Had to work out exactly the right distance to offset from the frame so the step would fall under the door correctly, without having the bottom step stick too far past the body. 3.5" was the magic number. 3.5" just happens to be the short edge of the only piece of stout steel I had laying around (7/16" angle 3.5 x 5). Had to move the exhaust bracket over a little. Next is removing the current battery box (toolbox) and mounting the new MRAP air tanks, then remounting the tool box, which will finally be used for tools!

IMG_6172.jpgIMG_6173.jpgIMG_6174.jpg

Am really happy with how solid it feels. We'll see if I still feel that way after 200lbs of battery get loaded in, then jump on that step with my 280lbs.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started my big changeover to the M915 Battery box. Had to work out exactly the right distance to offset from the frame so the step would fall under the door correctly, without having the bottom step stick too far past the body. 3.5" was the magic number. 3.5" just happens to be the short edge of the only piece of stout steel I had laying around (7/16" angle 3.5 x 5). Had to move the exhaust bracket over a little. Next is removing the current battery box (toolbox) and mounting the new MRAP air tanks, then remounting the tool box, which will finally be used for tools!

View attachment 666304View attachment 666305View attachment 666306

Am really happy with how solid it feels. We'll see if I still feel that way after 200lbs of battery get loaded in, then jump on that step with my 280lbs.
I'm literally in the middle of doing this upgrade. Do share pics of the tanks, location, etc! Good work!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished making my overhead console. Just have to do the final paint and wire up the lights. The hole in the last picture, to the far right, is for the 4 channel camera monitor.

20170213_190236.jpg

20170213_193619.jpg

20170213_222205.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an excellent build-out, Swamp Donkey.

Did you fabricate all the pieces; and how did you make the radius cuts on the sheetmetal corners, a grinder?
The bottom is actually an old sign, hence the rounded corners. It happened to be the perfect length and width that I wanted. Since it's aluminum, holes are easily drilled for new additions without removing the whole console from the truck. I made everything else.

MCSFBN

Ordered up some new gear for my 925.
Have in hand:
Locking gas cap
Locking door handles
Keyed ignition
24 to 12 V inverter
XL RAM air intake
New brighter headlamps
red LEDs for "tactical" interior lighting
white LEDs for "not so tactical" interior lighting
2x2" LEDs for rear external work lights
2x2" & 1x32" LEDs for forward takedown lighting
6 switch custom rocker panel to wire it all in

Waiting for them to arrive:
New GI anglehead flashlight for toolbox
New heavy canvas "US" stamped tool bag
New green 5gal/20ltr water can

Most came from TMG the rest from various places on the interwebs

Just gotta get busy

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Met up with the gimpy one and we got all of G's stuff loaded bound for eastern north Carolina. 5 ton rollin .IMG-20170215-WA0001.jpgIMG-20170215-WA0005.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............. There is all kinds of room left in that container, not to mention your empty truck bed.
There simply wasn't more junk of mine left there, to fill that box up to the roof. Still, it is heavy enough already, as it is - for a long-distance, 10h-ride to follow.
And yes, there was enough other heavy stuff going in the bed.
Those trailer ramps are looking pretty sad.
Not sad, just funny...! Called "semi-elliptical, load-tested ramps"...:mrgreen:

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Come on Wes
There is all kinds of room left in that container, not to mention your empty truck bed.
Those trailer ramps are looking pretty sad.
My truck bed has two 16.00s. Two 9.00s. And a 14.00. A engine in a crate. Hmmwv doors and other assorted junk.
I am sitting at 55,780 gross.

Everyone picks on my ramps but until they can't hold anymore ill use em. They held that 35,000lb mini ex the other day.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my battery box on yesterday and relocated the 2nd air tank to inside the frame. In fact it could almost pass as stock! Now I just want to put something in the "gap" above the battery box to flesh out the area some.

2017-02-15 17.07.25.jpg2017-02-15 17.07.34.jpg

Ford Mechanic

There simply wasn't more junk of mine left there, to fill that box up to the roof. Still, it is heavy enough already, as it is - for a long-distance, 10h-ride to follow.
And yes, there was enough other heavy stuff going in the bed.

Not sad, just funny...! Called "semi-elliptical, load-tested ramps"...:mrgreen:
Hey where at in eastern NC are you moving to? We live in eastern NC maybe your close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks