• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
when you pull it out of the tire that is when it is easiest to put the ratchet strap on it since it is already compressed coming thru the bead. So you dont have to work so hard to get it back down to the fitable size. you want the strap more to one side of the insert so that the insert is oblong. slide it in one end and then the other is forced under with a prybar or tire tool. Similar to this video it is just not a runflat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2DT0kLKO8

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting it out isn’t the issue lol getting them back in is. Been takin me and a friend near to an hour just trying to get one into the tire.

since I have the crane mounted in the back of the truck I just loop a chain through the insert and lift with the crane and jump on it a little and it just pops out in a minute or so.
I understand you are trying to getting it back in. Just take a strap and put it around the bead lock and make a 8 out of it then use two tire tools and put it back in. 15min. job.
Be careful lots of force on the strap.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did I do to my 10 ton today. The front hubs are oil floating and the old axle caps did not have a drain plug. I am going to start to blend the old oil with the Lucas hub oil and do a couple of changes as I use the truck. Hope to get at least a 50/50 mix of the Lucas. My hubs have always run cool and no inner seal leaking so at this time I don't want to pull hub to do a good clean out of the old oil.

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suck it up Nancy. Sure, you got us beat by a couple degrees, but you should be used to it. We get out and work in this stuff and we are in Texas!

Weather at the ranch last weekend when we were working on the tractor, hunting and sunbathing. Actual temps down in the canyons by the river are always 5 deg colder if there is any wind and 10 deg colder if it’s calm.

1E5FF0EA-051A-4B94-ACBA-FF5CF7E1B2C8.jpg

Last edited:

Wagoneer

We actually participated in winter this year with a full week of this including snow. Only problem is we have 20 ton Air Conditioners and 5 watt heaters, Good thing it will be back in the 70's Monday
1-5-18.JPG

azteclizard

We are enjoying this weather.. yall should join us.
Tonight

Partly Cloudy

-- /58°

0%

Sun, Jan 7

Partly Cloudy

79°/57°

0%

Mon, Jan 8

Mostly Cloudy

76°/56°

0%

Tue, Jan 9

PM Showers

70°/49°

40%

Wed, Jan 10

Sunny

71°/49°

0%

Thu, Jan 11

Sunny

74°/49°

0%

Fri, Jan 12

Sunny

76°/51°

0%

Sat, Jan 13

Sunny

79°/53°

0%

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be like Newfoundland where they say, “We don’t want to refuse DST all together, but we believe an hour is too much, we will only spring forward and fall back 30 min. Heck, our days get so long and short anyway, why should we even bother! We are really only participating out of courtesy. You are welcome.”

Newfies are definitely a very distinct culture. Unlike most Canadians I have known.

There are 30 min and 45 min time zones in the Middle East and I think even some 15 minute DST time zones? Maybe in the Land down under? I forget.

Mos68x

Yes lol and it makes life much easier too!

Daylight saving time: Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.” -- Anonymous

therooster2001

I was just in CT where it was -5, and now back in CO, it was 68 today. Ahhh. I should have gone to see the truck. It misses me. We did plan its next camping adventure for the spring. A State park. Now, take the MKT or the Drash tent and trailer. Decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did a round trip to Ft. Benning and back the end of last week. Replaced two 279 U joints and Jackshaft seal on my transfer case. Fixed a few small secondary side air leaks. Replaced a spring can diaphragm that was blowing air. Replaced my pintle hitch assembly and Spray foamed a few spots in the cab that were letting air roll in.

Then I went for the fun part. My shop air compressor gave out on Sunday. Ordered a new one so it will be here soon. So i got stupid and decided to break down all 6 of my 395 XZL's with run flats, Swap the run flats to some 16.00s and mount them on the wheels I have been running. They are LMTV type wheels with the large bore MRAP valve stems. Then air them up using my truck's air system. All in all it took me about 6 to 7 hours total to do it all. I posted a new Youtube video on breaking down combat wheels. Being that it took a whole 3 mins to separate the tire and wheel. I also only used my Dewalt XR Brushless 20v impact. It is an extremely handy tool. But yeah I used the truck system to seat the bead and air the tires up. The use of a 1/2" air line using the large bore valve stems makes this a lot easier especially only using the single wet tank for supply. I only use dry spray lube on the tire beads as well. No tire soap. So I don't think a little more than 6 hours is too bad for this swap. A bit of advice on a run flat. If you are planning on swapping from tire to tire. You can use the shop crane technique you see. But then the run flat is a little over halfway out that is when you use your ratchet strap and cinch it down so it is not so much work. I mean it was literally slip it out of the 395 and into the 1600. Pretty simple. I do work alone cause I tend to throw things and cuss when things aren't going right.

But as far as the 16.00s go. I went ahead and swapped them over in preparation for the HEMTT case swap. With the 7155 transmission and HEMTT transfer case I will be looking at around the same ratio as an Allison with the T1138. So I went to the 16.00s to give me more road speed. But with the BC I swap it should not have an issue holding road speed. Now as far as the 7155 and T1138 with 16.00s. um yeah 1700 rpms running 72 mph is what i cruised at yesterday with my trailer behind me in OD. I found myself staying in 15th(direct) a lot hauling around a few XM818s yesterday.

74M35A2

Useful data, thanks. Throw a link to getting the tire off the rim in 3 mins, or describe it. Had my eye on a small portable hydraulic bead breaker for $50 that CARNAC listed in the classifieds, but he said it sold in seconds, rightfully so.

Thanks.

big block 88

Yeah... i dont see me being that quick. There was a time i changed those tires with the wheel on the truck. Well kinda 3 guys and a tire tool worked decent. But im not gonna be doing that anymore. I like my balls where they are...

you know what killed me is i watched Wes's vids and i saw him stand a rim and tire up on his own. Two days before that video i was in the bed of my truck with an ate up tire and went to stand it up and flip it to the ground. I bent over grabbed and either farted or tore my back out and said forget it and got the skid steer. Im 6' and 295 lbs and not a weak guy by any means. But yeah Wes punked me out. I did go out for redemption and flipped the heck out of a tire and rim that was on the ground. I had to make sure i could still hold my man card.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah... i dont see me being that quick. There was a time i changed those tires with the wheel on the truck. Well kinda 3 guys and a tire tool worked decent. But im not gonna be doing that anymore. I like my balls where they are...

you know what killed me is i watched Wes's vids and i saw him stand a rim and tire up on his own. Two days before that video i was in the bed of my truck with an ate up tire and went to stand it up and flip it to the ground. I bent over grabbed and either farted or tore my back out and said forget it and got the skid steer. Im 6' and 295 lbs and not a weak guy by any means. But yeah Wes punked me out. I did go out for redemption and flipped the heck out of a tire and rim that was on the ground. I had to make sure i could still hold my man card.
395 XZL with runflat is around 420. 16.00 with run flat on wheel is 587 lbs. Nothing to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks