• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

162tcat

Left Memphis on January 18th. Got home the evening of the 2nd. Logged nearly 9,500 miles in that span. Was a long two weeks. Had an exhaust clamp issue that i fixed. Started having an oil leak from the head gasket it appears but it is intermittent. Had a loose connection on my alternator cable causing a spiking issue and a loose coolant hose clamp. Other than that she ran like a champ. She ran 3 trips from northern VA down to Albany and back. Then as far out as Fargo and back down. I left Hagerstown, MD about 2pm on Saturday and I was in Fargo at 1pm Monday to drop off. The temps were colder so i left her running. She ran continuously from 2pm Saturday until 5pm on Thursday. She did surprisingly well. Had to use my heater alot and even my air conditioning at some points. She had a headwind all the way west and coming back down mostly. Averaged around 6mpg loaded with 1600s. So imagine how much diesel I went thru. It killed my top end OD but did well in direct (15th)

Of course everyone likes pictures. As far as idle/burn time. At 8 hours idle she used about a gallon/hr.

On the one dozer pic she looks to be squatting pretty bad. I was actually parked in the middle of a low spot so it looks bad.

Did get home last night and this morning got the Wabco air dryer installed along with the measurements for the HEMTT case and I got some hydraulic cylinder mounts made up for my trailer ramps.
You my friend, are hard core. I did 60 miles round trip in my M817 dump with 8 tons of rock (only one way) and an 18k excavator on the trailer and was spent! Between the noise and constant shifting attempting to maintain any sort of reasonable speed on the hills, I couldn't wait to get out of that cab! Time for a turbo and more cab insulation.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t think Wes actually drives that much. I think either he has a twin that shows up in all these places, or he has invented a time machine and he just transports himself around.

He deserves props for the miles he puts in. And it’s not just the driving. He drives around and fixes his own truck and others as he goes!

Kudos my friend!

tobyS

Got rid of the M931 and dreams of a RGN trailer...now want one like Wes is using. Dam green disease.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got rid of the M931 and dreams of a RGN trailer...now want one like Wes is using. Dam green disease.
Grendel has his for sale. Member gofastboats has one for sale in Dayton as well. It just sucks with the deck height of 4'

tobyS

Grendel has his for sale. Member gofastboats has one for sale in Dayton as well. It just sucks with the deck height of 4'
Wes, Have you ever seen a lower height deck that will hook to pintle hitch? We need capacity for a Cat excavator about 25K#.

I have a frame 25' that I was going to build a fold down gooseneck, but now with the tractor truck gone, that plan is off the list.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, Have you ever seen a lower height deck that will hook to pintle hitch? We need capacity for a Cat excavator about 25K#.

I have a frame 25' that I was going to build a fold down gooseneck, but now with the tractor truck gone, that plan is off the list.

You can switch the tires from 425/65/22.5s or 365/85/20s (44" tall) to a dual tire setup with 255/70/22.5s (36" tall) that will drop the tire height by almost 4 inches (8inches overall) You can also cut the wheel wells off the rear of the trailer and level them out. That drops 3 inches from anything sitting on top of them. Most of my 5 ton trucks sit on top of those things and anything with steel tracks is not a fan of them either.

Pintle has a higher adjustment so the tounge can slope down. And as far as anything you put on it the truck is going to squat atleast 2 to 4 inches.

With 1600s and 385/65/22.5s mine sits about level.

Last edited:

6x6hammerdown

New guy

Hey fellas , new to the page here . Was recommended here by a few guys on the M939 FB page . In the process of doing my boot seals and just wanted to say hi and i look forward to all the good info this page can provide ! Thank you in advance for any help or constructive criticism you may be able to provide me with !

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it got some water in it and set for sometime. I would replace the bearings and race. My M936 was like that when I got it, it was so bad it was starting to make some noise.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Hey fellas , new to the page here . Was recommended here by a few guys on the M939 FB page . In the process of doing my boot seals and just wanted to say hi and i look forward to all the good info this page can provide ! Thank you in advance for any help or constructive criticism you may be able to provide me with !
As per recommendation it’s good to see you aboard

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Free of grease? Ain't it all supposed to be grease packed including the boots to a extent?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If there is any grease in the grooves at all, you will need 30 hands to get the boots to stay in place. Imho the 939 trucks should have grease on the bearings and thats it. Will it hurt to have everywhere? No. Is it supposed to be there? No. Will it help fight rust? Sure.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If there is any grease in the grooves at all, you will need 30 hands to get the boots to stay in place. Imho the 939 trucks should have grease on the bearings and thats it. Will it hurt to have everywhere? No. Is it supposed to be there? No. Will it help fight rust? Sure.

You sound like an expert sir. My axle boots need replacing as I have never done it. I just add more grease haha! So I will have to keep your entertained with axle boots and a case of beer one weekend.

Hkx3

Is there any accepted practice to prolong the life of these boots?

I have a 923A2, and wont drive the truck in mud or whatever. I just drive it on pavement and gravel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks