• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you buy all your brake lines and fittings? I need to replace all of mine as well. Just picked up a 1970 M818 bobbed. After a few weeks the brake lines all leaked out and no brakes. I want to replace them all. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The 5 brake hoses were purchased from Memphis Equipment. Really any vendor that sells the hoses are good for that. The Hard lines I bought from 2 places. Fedhill for the 1/4" copper/nickel lines, and the 5/16", and 3/8" steel lines I bought from Eastwood. The hard lines came in 20ft. and 30ft. reels. I also got the fittings, the flare tool, and the 1/4" stainless rock guards (just a long coil spring sleeve that covers the 1/4" line) from Eastwood too. The Flaring tool was expensive, but very well worth it as it can make a factory double flare on all three sizes of brake line with little effort. I really recommend getting this flaring tool. It comes with dies for 45 degrees, but you can also get dies for 37 degrees flares. I found some tubing benders, P-clamps, tubing straighteners, and other tools at harbor freight for cheap. Just don't skimp on the flaring tool. Bad flares on the new brake lines can leak just as bad, or even worse the old worn-out brake lines.

Since you recently bought you truck, I recommend going thru all the hubs too. You never know what you'll find.

Burnt Bearing 1.JPG

But it's well worth it when you know it has been done right. Don't forget to read the tech manuals before do anything.

Hub 1.JPG

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A perfect specimen from the Ft Riley rebuild facility. 2011 rebuild all the way through and never issued to a unit. She, along with a few of her sisters, were given to a city where even they didn't follow through with their plans to utilize the trucks. This one in particular needed a cab cover, steering wheel, brake diaphragms, air lines, and valves.. all typical dry rot from the Arizona sun. The engine is so nice I'd eat off it. The new owner is picking her up tomorrow so hopefully a forever home.

2021-12-09 17.17.56.jpg2021-12-09 17.18.03.jpg2021-12-09 17.09.13.jpg2021-12-09 17.09.06.jpg

Superthermal

No CTIS and tires are about 65. The XZL loaded up like a set of 177 (pun intended). At least with the trailer unhooked, I came out forward under my own power, once going. This was intended to be a joy ride through the field for my wife and her women friends. They probably took some to remind me of it later.
Are the XZL tires that crappy in mud? Do they make a 16.00 XML? I have seen a listing of a 475/80R20 XML
A perfect specimen from the Ft Riley rebuild facility. 2011 rebuild all the way through and never issued to a unit. She, along with a few of her sisters, were given to a city where even they didn't follow through with their plans to utilize the trucks. This one in particular needed a cab cover, steering wheel, brake diaphragms, air lines, and valves.. all typical dry rot from the Arizona sun. The engine is so nice I'd eat off it. The new owner is picking her up tomorrow so hopefully a forever home.

View attachment 852810View attachment 852813View attachment 852814View attachment 852815

Fuzzytoaster I would love to buy one of these units. How much did they pick it up from you for? Let me know as I have been looking for a while for something like this. I did notice you have quite a collection from the weekly What have you done to your 5 ton... (only back into the page 444 but still reading) and was also considering a M813 or M814 do you have any of those in your bucket of cool toys you would want to part with for someone looking to get into the fun? Let me know :)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the XZL tires that crappy in mud? Do they make a 16.00 XML? I have seen a listing of a 475/80R20 XML

Fuzzytoaster I would love to buy one of these units. How much did they pick it up from you for? Let me know as I have been looking for a while for something like this. I did notice you have quite a collection from the weekly What have you done to your 5 ton... (only back into the page 444 but still reading) and was also considering a M813 or M814 do you have any of those in your bucket of cool toys you would want to part with for someone looking to get into the fun? Let me know :)
The guy paid $16,500 for it. He drove it home 3 hours away being giddy as a grown man could be. I do happen to have an M814 in my motor pool. I just started on it today should have it done by next week and yes it will be for sale. I also have access to a super nice M923A2 with M105. I'd hop in it and drive across the country literally right now if I needed. PM me and I'm sure we can find something that fits your needs. I've got a few things handy. :beer:

Attachments

Superthermal

The guy paid $16,500 for it. He drove it home 3 hours away being giddy as a grown man could be. I do happen to have an M814 in my motor pool. I just started on it today should have it done by next week and yes it will be for sale. I also have access to a super nice M923A2 with M105. I'd hop in it and drive across the country literally right now if I needed. PM me and I'm sure we can find something that fits your needs. I've got a few things handy. :beer:
I would be driving back to Utah so that is perfect! Can you send me a few more pics of the M923A2 when you have time? SIMP feels I should be buying one of the 5 tons with the removable hump in the floor of the cab to make a Big cam 400 swap with a manual trans a bit of an easier ordeal. I could care less of needing to hack and then fab a floor kit that fits whats left but he seems very knowledgeable and I think I should be paying attention and giving his advice great consideration. I did find a pic of someone who apparently had done what I was considering a couple of weeks ago who had swapped the drive train of an MTVR onto a M923?? or the cab of a M923 onto an MTVR since it looks like it has an MTVR bed on it too... Not sure. But if I am not going to go hog wild on modding a rig that M923A2 you have there is looking like my favorite choice and would be set to be a good rig for many years. BTW Thanks for the quick reply. I already showed my wife your pic and she said it is a long drive. LOL If I was able to buy either rig and choosing to ship the 814 what price to buy and what price do you see me paying for the shipping way up to UT? Thanks again. I am off to bed and am going to have a long work day tomorrow so will not see what you have back until 10 or so my time. Peace out!
1639202875962.png

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would be driving back to Utah so that is perfect! Can you send me a few more pics of the M923A2 when you have time? SIMP feels I should be buying one of the 5 tons with the removable hump in the floor of the cab to make a Big cam 400 swap with a manual trans a bit of an easier ordeal. I could care less of needing to hack and then fab a floor kit that fits whats left but he seems very knowledgeable and I think I should be paying attention and giving his advice great consideration. I did find a pic of someone who apparently had done what I was considering a couple of weeks ago who had swapped the drive train of an MTVR onto a M923?? or the cab of a M923 onto an MTVR since it looks like it has an MTVR bed on it too... Not sure. But if I am not going to go hog wild on modding a rig that M923A2 you have there is looking like my favorite choice and would be set to be a good rig for many years. BTW Thanks for the quick reply. I already showed my wife your pic and she said it is a long drive. LOL If I was able to buy either rig and choosing to ship the 814 what price to buy and what price do you see me paying for the shipping way up to UT? Thanks again. I am off to bed and am going to have a long work day tomorrow so will not see what you have back until 10 or so my time. Peace out!
View attachment 852929
Shipping to Utah would be in the 2500 range.

The bed in the picture is called an ISO bed. Been on Navy and USMC 5 tons for years. It is what sets them apart.[/QUOTE]

Allen Ayres

I've replaced the headlight module/controller and am currently searching for the source of a leak of a reddish fluid found dripping through the driver's side front wheel well cover Christmas eve :/ In the daylight the engine looks clean (ish), I'll check more later.

dmetalmiki

After the party last week..everyone (With no idea! (bless them)) steered the trucks back into the barn, out of the bad weather...
No gaps to walk through..all higgeldly piggly..

So..with only the latest young helper..and because the M62 wrecker don't start'
He sat in the wrecker wile I pulled it forward coupled with my M54A2 camper..with a very SHORT rope!'
Can you imagine "steering" a wrecker with no power steering?!
Goes like this...lift the wrecker with the fork lift..Turn the wheels..drop it (Get it out of the way)..REVERSE into the wrecker, n' shove it back...
lift..steer..drop..You get the drift

Put all the trucks back in after they were taken out to facilitate all this
(OCD! ),monkeying about..

The 'kid' drove the GMC135 jeep, fork truck, M35 A2 while'st I guided him back in.
ARMY style 'driving tuition!
He lapped it ( The driving bits ) up.
Prepared the M62 for full filter changes.
next weekend.

m715mike

@dmetalmiki , I’ve seen pictures you’ve posted of the vehicles packed tightly in your shop. (Side note, more pictures are always welcome.)

I marveled at your use of space and the skillful driving needed to get them inside.

After recently buying the Alvis Stalwart, I now have first hand experience. The Stolly and M936A2 park in my shop with three fingers to spare.

2AAC90C2-B79E-4D0F-BE37-88717064CFBA.jpeg55B59C7C-E803-4F88-9B01-2D59362F9F9F.jpegD9DECCFE-CD9C-406C-81C0-C8828E54E3BA.jpeg

dmetalmiki

(>Laughter<),,,Yep! you just have to breath in a little..(Like I do)..to squeeze through those gaps.
People do mention when being shown round my collection..summat', like.." OH! this is not a..FAT MANS Garage is it...
But I have managed to make a "Space" ? between all the vehicles to allow..getting through all round behind and in front to fit battery chargers etc.
Folk are totally 'gobsmacked' when they 'observe' the kids reversing the stuff in!.

Ajax MD

A full foot of heavy, wet snow in mid/southern Md today.

I do so want to try the M813 out in the snow but I'm a gutless baby. Got no winch and I'm too worried about flattening some dummy in a minivan out buying bread and toilet paper for the storm. I sat there thinking "I wonder how long it'll take me to air down all the tires for snow running?"

I also want to see what it's like when the sprag engages the front axle.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A full foot of heavy, wet snow in mid/southern Md today.

I do so want to try the M813 out in the snow but I'm a gutless baby. Got no winch and I'm too worried about flattening some dummy in a minivan out buying bread and toilet paper for the storm. I sat there thinking "I wonder how long it'll take me to air down all the tires for snow running?"

I also want to see what it's like when the sprag engages the front axle.
Better safe than sorry I guess...

In Fredericksburg Son #2, his wife and their 6 month old are loading up the car headed to their southern Virginia in-laws since their power has been off for about 5 hours. Currently reporting power outages for 250,000 and no estimated up time.

Ajax MD

Better safe than sorry I guess...

In Fredericksburg Son #2, his wife and their 6 month old are loading up the car headed to their southern Virginia in-laws since their power has been off for about 5 hours. Currently reporting power outages for 250,000 and no estimated up time.
I can't believe we didn't lose power. Power lines and trees are drooping heavily everywhere. The power surged all day, lights flickering and whatnot.
The Tesla Powerwall will carry me for 24 hours if we conserve heavily. After that, it's propane heat. Temps are plunging tonight so it's not too late to lose power. We'll see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks