• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Valor

Been swapping tires around. Got some cracking ones so I wanted to change them out. Once I figured out the procedure to tear down and replace the tire, it was a lot easier. I used to lay the tire down flat but now I just lean it. I cross-threaded one lug nut so I'm gonna have to fix that. Only two more to go!IMG_20220720_144809.jpg

Ajax MD

Last weekend I hosted a beach party and reunion for my MIUW unit (see my avatar).
We have a tiny, community beach in my neighborhood at the end of my street which is sort of the venue that we used to operate in when my unit existed.

Around 20 people attended. I parked my M813 and M998 at the beach and set up some camo netting and other jazz I've had squirreled away. We grilled food and reminisced like veterans tend to do. Our unit has always had a strong, familial bond. Everyone loved the trucks and I took a few people out for rides in them.

Good times.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Last weekend I hosted a beach party and reunion for my MIUW unit (see my avatar).
We have a tiny, community beach in my neighborhood at the end of my street which is sort of the venue that we used to operate in when my unit existed.

Around 20 people attended. I parked my M813 and M998 at the beach and set up some camo netting and other jazz I've had squirreled away. We grilled food and reminisced like veterans tend to do. Our unit has always had a strong, familial bond. Everyone loved the trucks and I took a few people out for rides in them.

Good times.
Wow. That is what it's all about!
Wish you had a few pictures of the trucks - even if the guys didn't get pictured.

Ajax MD

Wow. That is what it's all about!
Wish you had a few pictures of the trucks - even if the guys didn't get pictured.
I've posted plenty of photos of my trucks in previous threads. They're very vanilla and haven't changed since the last time I posted photos so you're not missing anything.

I fire them up regularly to keep them exercised and lubricated but I don't drive them as much as I used to due to fuel prices and inflation eating into my discretionary funds. The M813 is really cathartic to drive. Something about running through the gears and listening to all of the separate noises that make up the symphony is enjoyable. I tell you, I wish I had another MV owner nearby. Every since Scrounger passed away, I'm kind of by myself here.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've posted plenty of photos of my trucks in previous threads. They're very vanilla and haven't changed since the last time I posted photos so you're not missing anything.

I fire them up regularly to keep them exercised and lubricated but I don't drive them as much as I used to due to fuel prices and inflation eating into my discretionary funds. The M813 is really cathartic to drive. Something about running through the gears and listening to all of the separate noises that make up the symphony is enjoyable. I tell you, I wish I had another MV owner nearby. Every since Scrounger passed away, I'm kind of by myself here.
I'm with you! Manual gearbox is just so nice. That is almost a lost art... At 62, I still enjoy stepping through the gears on a manual transmission. The left leg still works just fine and my hearing works well enough to hear the sounds that sync the driver with the truck.

Another Ahab

Good times.
Sounds like fun and good times for sure!

Don't know Mayo (but then there's a whole lot I don't know):

- Are you on the Bay or the Atlantic?

Micmada

Been swapping tires around. Got some cracking ones so I wanted to change them out. Once I figured out the procedure to tear down and replace the tire, it was a lot easier. I used to lay the tire down flat but now I just lean it. I cross-threaded one lug nut so I'm gonna have to fix that. Only two more to go!View attachment 873649
i could not find any studds for 5 ton combat rim halves , was told to get a Hemtt studd and solder it on when I messed one up. Anyone knows where to find them?

Ajax MD

"The Land of Pleasant Living"

- as quoted by Explorer John Smith (1605), and adopted by Carling Black Label Beer!!
Natty Boh.

I live on the very northern fringe of The Land of Pleasant Living. If I turn north on Route 2, it's deep blue territory and I am shall we say..."not appreciated?"
If I turn south, it's friendly waves and horn toots everywhere I go.

TheQuaker

Well...this post isn't so much about what I did "to" my big girl, but more what I did "for" her (and her "little" Deuce sister as well).

I've been planning, preparing and saving up for quite awhile (including deferring a new planned MV sibling addition to next year) and finally pulled the trigger on some permanent infrastructure improvements for the farm that also benefit the big girls.

To complete phase one of the improvements, we pushed a ridiculous amount of sand and clay around to build a new, flatter lane and large laager area for my girls and any future siblings that may arrive. After a month of earthmoving weekends and laying down 150 yards of crushed asphalt my 5-Ton seems to approve of the results and her new digs...

IMG_3172.JPGIMG_3173.JPGIMG_3174.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well...this post isn't so much about what I did "to" my big girl, but more what I did "for" her (and her "little" Deuce sister as well).

I've been planning, preparing and saving up for quite awhile (including deferring a new planned MV sibling addition to next year) and finally pulled the trigger on some permanent infrastructure improvements for the farm that also benefit the big girls.

To complete phase one of the improvements, we pushed a ridiculous amount of sand and clay around to build a new, flatter lane and large laager area for my girls and any future siblings that may arrive. After a month of earthmoving weekends and laying down 150 yards of crushed asphalt my 5-Ton seems to approve of the results and her new digs...

View attachment 877336View attachment 877337View attachment 877338
That crushed (ground) asphalt is pretty fantastic. I have a nice place beside our parking lot for my small green army. I wasn't really expecting weeds to grow up through it - so if you didn't think about that - you might want to keep some RoundUp or something similar handy next summer when it starts getting warm. Looks like you might be a farmer (Corn field looks pretty impressive!) so maybe you already have the tools to keep weeds at bay...

Last edited:

TheQuaker

I wasn't really expecting weeds to grow up through it - so if you didn't think about that - you might want to keep some RoundUp or something similar handy next summer when it starts getting warm. Looks like you might be a farmer (Corn field looks pretty impressive!) so maybe you already have the tools to keep weeds at bay...
Agreed. That can be a fight with anything other than hard surfaces. But I think we have a few things available in the arsenal to take care of that :unsure:;)

And yes, a good year for corn here all things considered...minus a tar spot breakout. Oh, well...normal life. :D

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Agreed. That can be a fight with anything other than hard surfaces. But I think we have a few things available in the arsenal to take care of that :unsure:;)

And yes, a good year for corn here all things considered...minus a tar spot breakout. Oh, well...normal life. :D
Best "natural" thing I have found for weed killing - that doesn't cause problems with my honeybees - is a table salt and vinegar mixture. If you have something better, don't hesitate to suggest it!

Happy to hear that the corn crop is doing well.
:)

Ajax MD

Best "natural" thing I have found for weed killing - that doesn't cause problems with my honeybees - is a table salt and vinegar mixture. If you have something better, don't hesitate to suggest it!

Happy to hear that the corn crop is doing well.
:)
I have a crushed gravel driveway and the weeds have been aggressive this year. I also have honey bees and chickens so thanks for the tip on salt and vinegar.

Another Ahab

I have a crushed gravel driveway and the weeds have been aggressive this year. I also have honey bees and chickens so thanks for the tip on salt and vinegar.
If you're already keeping chickens and some hives, you might want to consider adding in a goat to the mix:

- Those rascals eat EVERYTHING green, weeds included (just be sure to tether them away from any wiring)!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks