• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the room and the money for a running truck AND a parts truck that is a smart way to own these things, however air brakes are vastly superior .

But if that one truck has a dead engine and about to have no winch, it isnt going to be worth much to him or anyone else, sounds like good deals are about to be had for you !

Hope they both have hardtops, that's a major factor in my personal selections .

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t seem to find any info on TMS about towing a vehicle with another one maybe I’m in the wrong forum. But I did get a price for both M818 which is reasonable. But the shipping was not so. I have a military tow bar that I could flat tow them. But not sure about brakes and lights on the non running M818 it would be around 250 miles. Do you rely on the the pulling truck to stop and use a chase car for lights. Any info would be great or point me to the right TM thank you

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can’t seem to find any info on TMS about towing a vehicle with another one maybe I’m in the wrong forum. But I did get a price for both M818 which is reasonable. But the shipping was not so. I have a military tow bar that I could flat tow them. But not sure about brakes and lights on the non running M818 it would be around 250 miles. Do you rely on the the pulling truck to stop and use a chase car for lights. Any info would be great or point me to the right TM thank you
Towing and Rigging TM's are here

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read all the towing TMs I could find until my eyes bled, I have never found where it says what to do with the shifters of the towed vehicle .

All these rigs are different, some have auto trans, manual trans, two speed T-cases etc.

I'm sure someone will say just put everything in neutral ya big dummy, but it doesnt always work that way on some rigs .

I "assume" that when towing my Deuce I should put all levers in neutral, but in doing so ALL of my drive axles (front and rear) are going to be turning and there for the drive lines will be turning bearings and probably gears inside the trans and T-case .

Are they going to get properly lubed in this scenerio ?

Because it is definetly not the same as when the vehicle is cruising down the road under its own power with the gears engaged and slinging oil all over the gears and bearings .

Now I'm sure that these trucks (my Deuce 1/2 in particular) where towed around lots by soldiers back in the day, but how far ?

Can you tow it to Alaska from Florida with zero problem or damage ?

We all can speculate, but I'd really like to actually know, and I know I'm not the only one .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have read all the towing TMs I could find until my eyes bled, I have never found where it says what to do with the shifters of the towed vehicle .

All these rigs are different, some have auto trans, manual trans, two speed T-cases etc.

I'm sure someone will say just put everything in neutral ya big dummy, but it doesnt always work that way on some rigs .

I "assume" that when towing my Deuce I should put all levers in neutral, but in doing so ALL of my drive axles (front and rear) are going to be turning and there for the drive lines will be turning bearings and probably gears inside the trans and T-case .

Are they going to get properly lubed in this scenerio ?

Because it is definetly not the same as when the vehicle is cruising down the road under its own power with the gears engaged and slinging oil all over the gears and bearings .

Now I'm sure that these trucks (my Deuce 1/2 in particular) where towed around lots by soldiers back in the day, but how far ?

Can you tow it to Alaska from Florida with zero problem or damage ?

We all can speculate, but I'd really like to actually know, and I know I'm not the only one .
Well, I waited on somebody with more experience to answer up.

Didn't happen, so here goes:

If it was my truck and my money paying to replace everything that might be ruined if we did it wrong, removing driveshafts solve that problem. Yea, it's a pain if you are laying in the mud. If you have a chunk of cardboard, the weather isn't too hot or too cold and a few wrenches, removing the front drive shaft and the shaft that connects the intermediate axle to the back of the transfer case solves that problem - if you are flat towing.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the windshields on my M813.
Both had delaminated, one had a large chunk taken out right where the inspection sticker would have gone, pretty sure the inspectors would have caught that one...
Removed scale with a wire brush. They came apart rather easy, that is once I figured out that the parts riveted on didn't need to be removed, wasted a lot of time machining two brackets off one frame. Window prices in Central Mass range from about $165 - $175. Replaced the old brittle gaskets with new ones from Big Mike. Bedded the glass in the frames with clear silicon. Masked the glass and painted with Rustoleum Camouflage, which comes pretty close to whatever color 47 years of weathering has turned Army green and Air Force blue.

Windshield replacement

winda1.jpgwinda1a.jpgWinda2.jpgwinda2a.jpgwinda3.jpgwinda3a.jpgwinda3b.jpgwinda3c.jpgwinda5.jpgwinda5a.jpg

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was able to get both M818’S , I should get them next month. One is a parts truck I bought for the winch, was told the injection pump was removed by the military so it might run remain to be seen. I’m sure this topic was covered before how difficult is it to swap to super singles. Do I need MRAP wheels and buy spacers and flip hubs etc etc . Not concerned about gaining MPG here in PA with antique tags I can only drive 1 day a week. I was thinking 395/85/20. Just wanted your guys thoughts. I also might have parts when the trucks arrive. Thank you guys

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m sure this topic was covered before how difficult is it to swap to super singles.
Technically it's not too difficult, but man-handling those mounted tires takes some effort. At the minimum the consensus is HEMTT wheels in the front and A2 5-ton super-single wheels in the back. Some folks opt for HEMTT wheels on all 6 positions for consistency and spare tire considerations. You'll also need front wheel lug nuts for the rear wheels.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*also, the HEMTT wheels have a thicker center and require either the longer 939 A2 lug studs or special offset lug nuts

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody told me today that I could use 939 super single wheel on all 3 axels and has NOS wheels for 200 a piece. Any truth to that?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, IIRC the HEMTT wheels are only needed for 16.00s to keep from rubbing at full lock in one direction.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Burned all but one of the pins out of the hinges on the tailgate of my M813 until I ran out of gas. Only buggered one of the hinges, hey it was only my second time with a torch.
One of the previous owners used the rig as a salt truck and pretty much never washed it. When I bought her the tailgate moved, but what I thought was hinging was actually metal fatigue. Eventually the tailgate fell off in my arms...oy!
Punched the slag out with a chisel and reamed with a pyramid drill.
Product review; Beware the torch kit sold by Ruita Goodday on Amazon! Mine was shipped with tanks that had neither a DOT or ISO stamp and can not be legally filled in the US. When I complained and asked to send it back the company sent me literature on why they can be filled and to try again! My complaints to Amazon fell on deaf ears. After buying new tanks from AirGas the O2 regulator died after about 10 pressurization's...Caveat emptor!

Burn.jpgBurn1.jpgBurn1a.jpgBurn1b.jpgBurn2.jpgBurn3.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I used mine to test the limits of my phones screen .

Found it .
Oh... Bad deal. I had the same thing happen as I clamored into my MK23 about six months ago. Took it to the "fix it store" and it was a couple hundred bucks. Could have bought a used replacement for about the same money. Only advantage was that my data and all my settings were untouched. That made it worth the difference to me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks