• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Ajax MD

What I'm saying, is that I'm the guy who spends $65 on LED headlights and gets stuck with the crappy counterfeits that die in a couple of months. I'm also the guy who spends over $200 on LED's... gets the counterfeits and they die in a couple of months.

Sure, inexpensive LED's are out there but if I'm going to install them, I want them to last for years.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Topped off the Differentials, the fitting appears to be a half inch square socket. Spent a day looking for an SAE square head wrench key set, could only find metric. Then I realized my half inch ratchet tool has a square head, could it be that simple?...YUP!
The outer diffs were down about a quart, the middle was full but had a little back pressure. Cleaned the pressure relief fittings.
Are they designed to relieve all pressure or is it normal for a diff the retain a little pressure?

20230919_102900.jpg20230919_103812.jpg20230919_103902.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Topped off the Differentials, the fitting appears to be a half inch square socket. Spent a day looking for an SAE square head wrench key set, could only find metric. Then I realized my half inch ratchet tool has a square head, could it be that simple?...YUP!
The outer diffs were down about a quart, the middle was full but had a little back pressure. Cleaned the pressure relief fittings.
Are they designed to relieve all pressure or is it normal for a diff the retain a little pressure?

View attachment 906336View attachment 906337View attachment 906338
it'll work in a pinch but the head is rounded and will eventually round out the square hole.

Get the proper socket/bit

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'm saying, is that I'm the guy who spends $65 on LED headlights and gets stuck with the crappy counterfeits that die in a couple of months. I'm also the guy who spends over $200 on LED's... gets the counterfeits and they die in a couple of months.

Sure, inexpensive LED's are out there but if I'm going to install them, I want them to last for years.
screws are standard 1/4-20. I used stainless security screws in mine. Prevent the casual thief from walking away with them.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

@TechnoWeenie .

You may have already posted it - but where did you find the Code Reader?
And the silly question is does it come with a Super Secret Decoder Ring to know what those numbers mean?
Brand new in box. Came with full manual and install guide/kit. Still had that offgassing fresh plastic smell.

:D

Ebay.

Guy had it listed for ~200 and I offered 180.

Not cheap, but if I took it to a cummins dealer or anyone who might have one, I'd be looking at 2x that in fuel and hourly costs.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where? Everything I found was metric,the biggest 10mm
That's a damn good question.

When I bought mine back in January or so, they were all over Amazon. Now it's like they don't exist... and searching isn't working, since 1/2" is a standard drive profile, everything I'm finding is for that, and not the actual square bit.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

@TechnoWeenie .

You may have already posted it - but where did you find the Code Reader?
And the silly question is does it come with a Super Secret Decoder Ring to know what those numbers mean?
I can post the manual if you want?

Also, probably best money I spent in terms of troubleshooting. I know smaller agencies have a 'cut the wires, so the lights don't flash' way of removing equipment from emergency vehicles, and this was a former FD truck, so I suspected it was a cut wire. Well, the reader told me exactly where to look (drivers side sensor), and when I went to inspect the wiring, you'll never guess what I found.

20230921_152759.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can post the manual if you want?

Also, probably best money I spent in terms of troubleshooting. I know smaller agencies have a 'cut the wires, so the lights don't flash' way of removing equipment from emergency vehicles, and this was a former FD truck, so I suspected it was a cut wire. Well, the reader told me exactly where to look (drivers side sensor), and when I went to inspect the wiring, you'll never guess what I found.

View attachment 906440
Having the Manual would be great!

Ajax MD

I hosted a beach party for my old unit this weekend. We parked my 5-ton and HMMWV at the beach with some unit memorabilia for nostalgia/trauma.
Everyone thought it was great and had a good laugh.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks