• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARYankee

Replaced all four shocks with Monroe's and the steering stabilizer. Changed the front and rear differential fluids...tightened the power steering belt - what a pain!

Used the grey gasket goo on the diffs. Really good stuff. Steering stabilizer went on pretty easy - had to soak the mounting bolt that runs through the stabilizer bar with PB blaster penetrator. Next morning a good solid wack with a hammer and out it came.

Bolts for the rear shocks were pretty rusted too...penetrator good! Shocks made a real difference in handling as did the steering stabilizer.

After all this - off to the mountains for the family Christmas Tree! Next year maybe I'll string some lights on the grill guard!!
You don't happen to have some part numbers by chance? I need to do all of mine at some point.

rsh4364

drove 1009 to work and it was a little misty out,noticed windsheild wipers would run normal speed sometimes .then very slow at other times,at speed not idleing,they also dont return to bottom of windsheild when turned off..

Keith_J

I nearly broke 20 MPG in my 1031. Doing 60 MPH for over 200 miles. Tail wind most of the way, 20 MPH tail wind. 19.1 MPG.

forest522

You don't happen to have some part numbers by chance? I need to do all of mine at some point.
AR Yankee - Sorry for the delay. The Monroe SensaTrac for the rear is 37041 and for the front is 37040. The steering stabilizer is Monroe - SC2913.

All except the rear was easy. But maybe my rear top bolts were pretty rusted. Enjoy!

stranger75

drove 1009 to work and it was a little misty out,noticed windsheild wipers would run normal speed sometimes .then very slow at other times,at speed not idleing,they also dont return to bottom of windsheild when turned off..
I experienced the wipers malfunctioning when I first got my M1009. I pulled the plastic cover off of the wiper motor (driver side of firewall up in the corner), removed all wires running into it, and cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner. There was a lot of gunk that had built up over the years. This fixed my wiper issues.
Try this to start with and see where it gets you.

Roboskid

1031 - Changed out the Glow Plug Relay and the GPs from 070s to AC 60Gs. This solved the starting problems the previous owner had, she started right up. Also changed the oil and oil filter it was nasty black. Ran it awhile still nasty black. Any suggestion on how to flush the oil?

1009 - Tried to repair the broken driver's side vertical headlight adjuster. Picked up the wrong part. Got the universal one instead of the GM part. Next time I will take a pic of the original and be sure to read the packaging on the new part.

Last edited:

Vhyle

On my '86 M1009... I've owned the truck for a week and I've had to put a new radiator in it. The OE radiator had a horrible internal ATF leak. The trans was about 4 quarts low as a result.

Cooling system and tranny - good to go. Now onto the electrical gremlins this coming weekend.

richingalveston

I installed the front seats from the 87 suburban I parted out. Still need to shampoo/steam clean, We had a cold snap here in texas so I need to wait for it to warm up so they will dry with out mildewing .We have that problem here at the coast, things mildew overnight when left wet.

The seats are wider at the base by at least 3 inches and have armrest on both sides. The armrest on the seat and the door have about an 1/8 inch between them.
I will recover with leather at a later date when my wallet recovers from the drivetrain build I am currently working on.
If you look closely you can also see the pics of the tilt steering that was installed last month but I did not post it.

I also installed the LMC heavy duty light harness. Did not change the headlights, just the harness made them at least 20% brighter.

Attachments

Vhyle

I installed the front seats from the 87 suburban I parted out. Still need to shampoo/steam clean, We had a cold snap here in texas so I need to wait for it to warm up so they will dry with out mildewing .We have that problem here at the coast, things mildew overnight when left wet.

The seats are wider at the base by at least 3 inches and have armrest on both sides. The armrest on the seat and the door have about an 1/8 inch between them.
I will recover with leather at a later date when my wallet recovers from the drivetrain build I am currently working on.
If you look closely you can also see the pics of the tilt steering that was installed last month but I did not post it.

I also installed the LMC heavy duty light harness. Did not change the headlights, just the harness made them at least 20% brighter.
Nice! I'm assuming the seats bolted right in?

Racallahan1

I like those seats! Yet another item for my wish list!

richingalveston

10 X's better than origional seats, they actually have padding in them. Only one bolt hole lined up, I had to drill and install nuts and bolts for the other three on each seat.
These seats have metal plates in the bottom of them for mounting so it was really easy to put them on the 1009 seat base's. These were the stock seats out of an 87 suburban. I am sure they ran these for a few years so maybe there are still some out there. I don't like the cloth and eventually they will get recovered in leather (the good fake leather).

rsh4364

Drove mine to work again,3weeks now and no problems,thats about 70 miles per day..and thanks to this site I have learned how to start it correctlyand it starts well in 20-25 morning temps..Im in awe of how this 5000 lb. plus thing trucks down the road at 60-70mph.What a lovely beast !

ARYankee

AR Yankee - Sorry for the delay. The Monroe SensaTrac for the rear is 37041 and for the front is 37040. The steering stabilizer is Monroe - SC2913.

All except the rear was easy. But maybe my rear top bolts were pretty rusted. Enjoy!
Have you noticed a considerable difference with those? I know mine are shot and anything would make a difference but I want to get a good quality set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks