• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threw more garbage in it to haul off to the dump eventually...

I might even crank it sometime this week.

natemccabe

After replacing the thermostat I noticed I seem to be missing the sheet metal piece that protects the upper rad hose form the belts. I have no idea what it looked like. If some one could maybe take a photo of one I could make something up.

jets1959

After replacing the thermostat I noticed I seem to be missing the sheet metal piece that protects the upper rad hose form the belts. I have no idea what it looked like. If some one could maybe take a photo of one I could make something up.
Take a thin piece of sheet metal (stainless steel or second choice aluminum), about three inches wide, bend it about the same shape of the radiator hose and use a hose clamp to install it. Piece of cake!

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I just had the cooling system in my M1009 overhauled/redone.. etc..
New copper/brass radiator, heavy duty, correct for my M1009...
New copper/brass heater core...
New tranny cooler....
New hoses, etc...
Topped off with Fresh Anti-freeze (Of course)...

The gentleman at the shop that did the work said, he found a thicker radiator with a built-in oil cooler of some sort, etc.
They were also nice enough to double-check the belts and do some tightening, etc.
Now all is well and good with my cooling system, and if I pull a trailer at any point, the cooling system will be ready to handle
any heat from doing that. So I am pleased...

Now I can move on to next on my list of things it needs done...

Just my $0.02 cents..

twlinks

Congrats CJ. Care to share how much all of that cost? Not trying to be nosey, just may want to do some of those things in the future myself and/or others may be interested in knowing as well. Thanks

unaffiliated

@cyclejay. Did you have Marietta radiator do the work? Just curious. I know we had discussed them a while ago. They are good people and have taken care of all my radiator needs for many years.

CycleJay

Hello Twlinks,

Here is the information for the shop I went to.
They are great people, and did a wonderful job at a fair price:

[h=1]Marietta Radiator Distributors[/h]
Call 770-428-5900 for Wholesale Cooling System Parts or TOLL FREE at 1-888-428-5901.
Call 770-428-7120 for Complete Cooling System Service or Repair.

[h=3]Wholesale Parts located at:[/h]501 Glover St.
Marietta, GA 30060
770-428-5900

[h=3]Service is located at:[/h]487 Glover St.
Marietta, GA 30060
770-428-7120

I plan on going there in the future, if I ever have any other cooling system issues again.
My bill for everything I needed done came to: $1,000.94... That is the grand total, the amount I paid.

Yes, unaffiliated.. I did go to them, based on the advice I got from you and others.
Thank you.

rsh4364

Installed headlight wireing harness from LMC and new headlights from Hella,awesome lights and replacable hb2 bulbs,also added batt. bolt extender into previously unused pos. sidemount to hook accessories to.took about an hour,and pretty easy..

twlinks

Got the back half of the '09 primed Friday and Saturday. Using rattle can Rustoleum primer and it seems to be working out really well. I don't have a lot of time to spend on it right now, but in another week, it should be ready to paint...assuming there will be another 60 degree day, no wind and low humidity in Dec...lol. I'm painting it Olive Drab with a little bit of sand tone to it, then doing a big white star on the hood and stars on each door along with some other stenciling.

My plan for the "re-purposed" trailer bows is to attach camo netting at the cab and then stretched back over the bows. In addition to that, there will be a metal plate attached to the top of the bows that will become a bench rest (with the netting pulled back obviously). I'll mount a decent tractor seat from TSC or someplace on a pedestal that can be raised to the proper height for the bench rest. I'll be able to lower it and spin it around for my grandson to ride in at other times.

005 (Large).jpg006 (Large).jpg

CycleJay

Installed headlight wireing harness from LMC and new headlights from Hella,awesome lights and replacable hb2 bulbs,also added batt. bolt extender into previously unused pos. sidemount to hook accessories to.took about an hour,and pretty easy..
Hello Rsh,
What do you mean.. "sidemount to hook accessories to..."? Any pics of it?
Sounds interesting...

MarcusOReallyus

Hello Rsh,
What do you mean.. "sidemount to hook accessories to..."? Any pics of it?
Sounds interesting...
He's got Optima Red Tops, Jay. They have both the regular top mounted posts, and the GM-style side-mount connectors. Like this:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/products/redtop/

I'm guessing he's means he's put a post extender/replacement on one of the side-mount connectors, and uses that for accessories.

Like one of these:

http://gm.battery.post.dealdiscount1.us/

It's a post that goes into the side mount connectors, and holds the regular GM battery cable in place, PLUS has another, smaller terminal that gives you a place to mount a terminal for accessory power. There are a couple of different styles.

rsh4364

CJ I have optima redtop batts. which have both top mount and side mount connectors, I added a side mount bolt just to the positive side mount to hook accs. to .my KC lights and new headlight harness..bolt extender part #07050 @ autozone,and its brass for better conductivity..It was just easier and looks better..imo..

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Okay, I grasp the concept and look now...
Sounds good...

Since my batteries are top post only, I would have to figure out some safe way to hook accessories directly to it too.
Maybe mount a small bus bar or fusebox, etc. near the batteries, and run a positive to it, then hook all accessories to the bar,
that way there are not multiple accessories hooked to the battery..

But I would like to know...
Would it be possible to hook accessories directly to the bus bar on the firewall? If so, how many volts would I get out of it?
Or the bus bar next to the passenger seat in back, how many volts would come out of that?

Thank you, good day....

rsh4364

Scottladdy, Hella 003427291, from Summit Racing 46.95 each,I put a set on my 79 Malibu and loved them,then discovered same ones fit 1009,had to do it..a little pricey but its worth it to me, im 48 and eyes are not what they used to be..and the sylvania high end headlights are nice and half the price,but at 150 hr. life not worth it,with the Hellas you can replace bulb,not whole unit,also you get many more bulb choices with the hellas which use a hb2 bulb..deff. do the headlight harness upgrade tho..If you can get the DogHead headlight harness upgrade I would go that route as my LMC harness was made in Taiwan....LOL...

MarcusOReallyus

Hi guys,

Okay, I grasp the concept and look now...
Sounds good...

Yeah, it's pretty slick. I used to install cellphones (back when they were carphones) and business two-way radios, and this was the best solution for a GM style battery. It's very popular with stereo installers for the same reason.

Since my batteries are top post only, I would have to figure out some safe way to hook accessories directly to it too.
Take a look at this. If you want the best, this is it.

http://www.hivolume.com/en/select.php?aftermarket_part=7372

Maybe mount a small bus bar or fusebox, etc. near the batteries, and run a positive to it, then hook all accessories to the bar, that way there are not multiple accessories hooked to the battery..
That's a very clean way to do it. [thumbzup]

You can also install a fuse block right there in the engine compartment that uses standard ATC automotive fuses. Very clean, neat, and easy to troubleshoot.

http://www.delcity.net/store/8!way-ATC®-&-ATO®-Automotive-Fuse-Block/p_10823

(I'm not recommending the dealers linked above - just found them with a quick search to show what I'm talking about. I don't know them at all.)

CycleJay

Scottladdy, Hella 003427291, from Summit Racing 46.95 each,I put a set on my 79 Malibu and loved them,then discovered same ones fit 1009,had to do it..a little pricey but its worth it to me, im 48 and eyes are not what they used to be..and the sylvania high end headlights are nice and half the price,but at 150 hr. life not worth it,with the Hellas you can replace bulb,not whole unit,also you get many more bulb choices with the hellas which use a hb2 bulb..deff. do the headlight harness upgrade tho..If you can get the DogHead headlight harness upgrade I would go that route as my LMC harness was made in Taiwan....LOL...
Hello Rsh,

Can you tell me more about this "Doghead headlight harness upgrade"?

Thank you

CycleJay

Yeah, it's pretty slick. I used to install cellphones (back when they were carphones) and business two-way radios, and this was the best solution for a GM style battery. It's very popular with stereo installers for the same reason.

Take a look at this. If you want the best, this is it.

http://www.hivolume.com/en/select.php?aftermarket_part=7372

That's a very clean way to do it. [thumbzup]

You can also install a fuse block right there in the engine compartment that uses standard ATC automotive fuses. Very clean, neat, and easy to troubleshoot.

http://www.delcity.net/store/8!way-ATC®-&-ATO®-Automotive-Fuse-Block/p_10823

(I'm not recommending the dealers linked above - just found them with a quick search to show what I'm talking about. I don't know them at all.)

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for the post, information, and links.
All will be duly noted, and considered.
I was planning on mounting the bus bar/fuse box, in the engine compartment, near the batteries. (I think I know exactly where).
And I would only use an automotive fuseblock meant for something like that. To keep it neat, clean, safe, and work well.

Thank you, good night...

forest522

Replaced all four shocks with Monroe's and the steering stabilizer. Changed the front and rear differential fluids...tightened the power steering belt - what a pain!

Used the grey gasket goo on the diffs. Really good stuff. Steering stabilizer went on pretty easy - had to soak the mounting bolt that runs through the stabilizer bar with PB blaster penetrator. Next morning a good solid wack with a hammer and out it came.

Bolts for the rear shocks were pretty rusted too...penetrator good! Shocks made a real difference in handling as did the steering stabilizer.

After all this - off to the mountains for the family Christmas Tree! Next year maybe I'll string some lights on the grill guard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks