• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikerBi11

Today..... Installed the under dash peices missing form my truck ie. heater core and ducting, put intake manifold back on, bled fuel system, Started my M1009 to make sure everything was a-ok. Put in antifreeze, filled tranny, replaced a rear broken brake line, then...... took it for a drive around the block for the first time. WOO HOO. forgot to hook up the vac lines for the tranny though, DOH. oh well, there will be more time.

MarcusOReallyus

Unlike Ford and Chrysler, GM had process called parts bin manufacturing if im not mistaken, building few parts that makeup many vehicles. many parts will Interchange between the GM brands from the 70s and 80s.
Yeah, I know about that. It makes good sense. The company my Dad worked for went with Chevy pickups for their fleet just for that reason. Made parts inventory a whole lot easier. They did their own repair work, and kept trucks quite a while.

Nissan started that way before GM did. I was amazing what kind of swapping you could do between old Datsun cars up into the 70s, at least. Maybe still that way.

wayne pick

Yeah, I know about that. It makes good sense. The company my Dad worked for went with Chevy pickups for their fleet just for that reason. Made parts inventory a whole lot easier. They did their own repair work, and kept trucks quite a while.

Nissan started that way before GM did. I was amazing what kind of swapping you could do between old Datsun cars up into the 70s, at least. Maybe still that way.
I didn't know that about Datsun. The GM V8 engines were the best, small block and big block, thats it.

True Knight

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

I nearly ran it out of fuel today. Well, I kinda did... I pulled into the gas station knowing that it was about to run dry. After filling up I started it up and a few seconds later it died. Ha ha. So I had to crack open the injectors and after about half an hour of cycling cranking and letting the starter cool it came back to life. What a pain! I won't let it get quite so empty from now on. Ha ha.

amilowmechanical

WELL- I startet the overtaking of the intieror dash first. tore all out includeing the dashboard pad. custom install of 3" pioneer speekers. cut hole for din type stero in dash where A.C. hole just off center, installed Starter relay. also used hole for factory radio to install stainless plate for switching of lights etc. Also installed Calipers and pads. found some water in brake fluid.
Next will be removeing bench seat and installing leather buckets from chrysler tovn & country all electric includeing heat.
Will post photos when all done. THANKS for the post about the Vega stearing wheel . :grd:

Durango_USMC

Cleaned aformentioned fuel cans... kinda... I'm assuming its black algae of some sort living in those things... So swished some gasoline around in them pretty good and let them sit. I haven't check them in a few days. Attempted to install slave cable recepticle cover... I thought it would be simple but despite several minutes of ratchetting I was unable to get a single screw off and I didn't have time to see why that wouldn't work, I figure theres a nut somewhere I need to get at, I'll check the TM.

Looked around under the truck, I think I could use a new rear brake line its hanging down past the axle and makes me paranoid. The line appeared pretty brittle where it connects into the drum when I went to move it out of the way and I didnt feel like crack it. Discovered the drive shaft may be dented but not neccesarilly bent, as it appears to still be straight minus that one spot. It was GSA surplus not GL... Found a small leak around the transmission, nothing dripping there. Found two small oil leaks that I'm still hunting around for the origin. I really need to get my garage cleaned out so I can start working on it a little more and change all the filters, belts, and fluids. I also need to get a grease gun and start servicing everything I can on it. Spare tire and wheel may be a lost cause, pretty sure the spare is too dry rotted to use and the wheel seems awfully dang rusty.

Still trying to track down the voltmeter and Gen 2 light issues. Pretty sure its a bad voltmeter and/or the gen 2 bulb is burned out. The batteries have good voltage and both alternators are charging fine from what I can tell. I'm probably going to start a thread for my little truck.

fireman5199

Did the 12 volt conversion on my glow plugs. Added the headlight relay harness and Sylvania Silver Stars 100% better. Replaced the rear end yoke which took care of my vibration at 25-35mph. Discovered that I am 95% sure that my glow plug card is causing them to constantly cycle on/off while driving. Replaced rear output shaft seal. Found blown shock. Found that the jack legs who put the cigarette plug in have got 29 volts going to it (flashlight charger loved that)...Got warning light bar working (new buls and ground) and filters changed over to red.

Still trying to track down the voltmeter and Gen 2 light issues. Pretty sure its a bad voltmeter and/or the gen 2 bulb is burned out. The batteries have good voltage and both alternators are charging fine from what I can tell. I'm probably going to start a thread for my little truck.
Just FYI...if your Gen 2 lamp is not working, neither is your alternator. That is how the system works as it needs the bulb resistance to start the charging. I thought my system was working fine for months until I put new bulbs in the dash and saw it start charging. If your back battery is strong, it will last a long time without an alternator charging it for the limited use it sees.

wayne pick

I changed the engine oil today, and looked into a locking hub issue I had after last weekends storm. I thought I lost a hub after I helped a friend plow some item 4 roads. It gave the truck a pretty good workout. I dissasembled the hub in question to find it bone dry, same thing with the other side. I lubed up the hubs and reassembled them, and installed new o-rings. It turned out the transfer case linkage needed to be adjusted.:oops:

Durango_USMC

Just FYI...if your Gen 2 lamp is not working, neither is your alternator. That is how the system works as it needs the bulb resistance to start the charging. I thought my system was working fine for months until I put new bulbs in the dash and saw it start charging. If your back battery is strong, it will last a long time without an alternator charging it for the limited use it sees.
Well crap... Well at least I got it into the garage and start taking a more indepth look at it.

My old V8 inboards are the same way only the resistance is in the volt gauge. If the gauge stops working you need to splice a peanut bulb and socket into the alternator wiring to "tickle" the regulator to start the charging system.

Vhyle

Picked up a new mechanical fuel pump and hose today. Need to replace it because it's leaking so bad, it steadily drips fuel while it's running. No bueno That's just one thing on the list of work that needs to be done.

ramcatdoc

I have had problems with my Cobra CB radio drawing down the batteries to nothing if I don't fire up the M1009 at least once every week or ten days. This is despite a new trickle charger on the hood. So I put an in-line toggle switch on the steel plate that I have my radio mounted to the dash with. I can cut the power off the radio completely now, and voila! No more dead batteries.

Simple fix for an annoying problem. It was getting so I knew I would have to jump the truck whenever I wanted to use it.

Durango_USMC

My old V8 inboards are the same way only the resistance is in the volt gauge. If the gauge stops working you need to splice a peanut bulb and socket into the alternator wiring to "tickle" the regulator to start the charging system.
I'm going to start a thread for my little M1008, I'm not gonna lie, I'm more than a little lost with it and this way I won't clutter up this thread with questions.

As for what I did with mine today... just admired it in the garage for a while and noticed the drivers side seems to be tilted down a bit, aired up the tires still tilted. So I think I need to look at the suspension a bit closer... and put a level on my garage floor to rule that out as a problem. I also need to get one of those creepers for sliding around under it.

tankie88

Repaired my my fuel filler cap flap.The bottom hole on the flap rusted away causing the flap to hang.Removed the complete flap,welded a piece of plate on it,filled it flat and redrilled the hole.Job done.

Vhyle

Swapped out the mechanical fuel pump last night. I got it bolted up and the rubber line connected, but the steel line has about a 2 to 3-degree difference between the line and the threaded inlet on the pump. The easiest thing I could do would be to gain superhuman strength and attempt to twist and bend the fuel line to match up, or I can loosen the pump from the block and thread it up that way. Since putting the pump on was kind of a pain, I really don't want to do that but I guess I don't have any other option.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Yesterday (Sunday 02/18/2013) I replaced the front passenger side turn signal/parking lamp socket.
The old one was broken. So I replaced it with a new one.
Now I have a working passenger side turn signa/parking lamp again.

That is all...

Good day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks