• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottladdy

Wilson Electric Alternator - Field Report

Would a continuity test between the negative terminal and the alternator housing be sufficient for checking the rebuild before install? Would be a good tip to spread around if so.
The short answer is, not quite. Circuits inside the alternator will allow some current to flow to ground that will be picked up by your meter depending on the polarity of the ohmmeter. Plus, you really have to open it up to put the fan and pulley on the rotor shaft properly as they don't come provided, so you might as well poke around and make sure physically.

I just replaced the drivers side alternator in my M1008A1, err, sort of.

Back story
At some point in it's life, the drivers side alternator was replaced with a brand new (as in a few years newer than original) alt. Correct part number, but clearly a much newer casting. Then, it looks like the alt was hacked up a bit. It worked OK though.

Last Fall I took it apart to freshen it with parts from CUCV Electric. Well, I knew something was up when I looked at the rotor winding. It clearly had been overheated (over current) at some point. Not having the time to deal with it then I decided to button it back up. Hey, the brushes were barely worn. I figured I could go with it until it got warmer in the Spring and I could figure out what to do to it then.

Well, my cousin Murphy said no to my plans. One night on the way home from a troop meeting I heard a pop, headlights dimmed, and Gen 1 light came on all bright and shiney like. I took the alternator apart to find the rotor was now open. Clearly, the over current she suffered in the past had taken it's toll.

So, instead of buying a new rotor for about $120 (cheapest I could find). I decided to pick up a Wilson. Refurbed in Mexico. Heeding the concerns I read here about them not being properly rebuilt, isolated ground and all, my plan was to scavenge the good bits from the Wilson and rebuild the original. Success on this front.

What did I find out about the Wilson?
Well, when I got it apart, it was clear that this was more of a refresh than a rebuild, and certainly not a re-manufacture. It was tested and had a cert in the box that "proved" it was good. But, corners were cut.

The good
New bearings
Clean housing (mostly)
New battery and "r" terminals
New brushes (but one of them was cracked near the tip)
It was isolated ground, sort of.
New hardware (mostly) was used
Nice packaging

The OK (functional but re-used components)

Voltage Reg
Diode Trio
Rectifier (made in China sticker)
Capacitor
Brush Holder
Stator (expected this)
Rotor (expected this, out of a cadi and has an SAE thread, but aside from that appears identical to the original)
Front Housing helicoiled to SAE equivalent (not a bad job, and they provided a bolt, but would have been better if made metric as original)

The Bad
Insulating washers for the rectifier weren't "right". The correct pieces are fairly flush, these were a little too thick.
The negative terminal is now a large head screw. It should be OK, but clearly a lower cost option than the "proper" negative terminal.
The insulator for the negative terminal is a hodge podge of fiber washers (not correct thickness as noted above) and a small section of vinyl tubing for the through case insulator.

So, I think the Wilson alternator would work. But given the fact that some of the more failure prone items weren't replaced, coupled with the improvised hardware, I'm not sure about longevity. Would I buy one again given my circumstances? Sure. Got it mail order for about $150. I have a lot of spare parts now, and my drivers side alt is functioning just fine again. Overall I spent less going this route than if I had replaced the failed parts with new. And, since I did the re-build, I am certain of the job.

I hope this helps others.

bshupe

I finally was able to put together the time to mount the contact box from my 1031 to the surplus trailer I bought a while back. Next: extend the PTO to the bumper and build my connecting shaft and wiring cable. Click the "Build Thread" link in my siggy to see pics etc.

Oh, I also received my CUCV Electric parts in the mail (less my Doghead relay) so I will now be able to rebuild my alts, GP circuit and a few other little things.

howardc

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Rear window would only go up, not down, so I had to remove the access panel and help it down. Took the regulator and handle out. Waiting for payday so I can buy replacements...

cpf240

Got it a playmate! No, not that kind...

IMG_0082[1].jpgIMG_0083[1].jpg

Picked up the M101A3 from Camp Pendleton this morning. It seems to be in pretty good shape overall, and the hubs were nice and cool after about 200 miles. The tires are not new, but look good, and should last a little while. The tarp looks to be in decent shape as well. The truck pulled fine, though it sure took some of the hills slower than I expected.

It is missing a few parts for the bows, namely the sleeve things that go over the ends of the bows to fit into the side rails. And one bow is missing. One hinge pin for the gate is too small, and the crank handle for the landing leg is missing. Oh, and it seems I have two of the same side rails on the trailer, as the bow storage brackets are on opposite ends.

I planned on replacing the 24v bulbs with 12v before pulling it home, but the light housing cover screws are way tight!

Since the data plates for the bed are almost sandblasted clean, I'll have to figure out what to put on the SF97 form for an S/N. Maybe use a combination of the M116's S/N and USMC numbers?

ARYankee

Soldier "B" and I replaced the leaking heater core with a replacement from Autozone. I did purchase and install some weatherstripping around where the heater core and damper are. I should get a good seal there. I also bought some new batteries since I have been using old suspect batteries.
IMG_0296.jpgIMG_0314.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0316.jpgIMG_0318.jpg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Pulled the mold mobile out today to clean it! Nuked it inside and out with bleach and pressure washed it! Next will be body work and paint!View attachment 412342View attachment 412343View attachment 412344View attachment 412345
Ryan,

Why is it that you get the most contaminated vehicles in the history of mankind. My skin still crawls from that white pimp mobile that I picked up for you in GA. Heck, I have to go take a shower now just from thinking about it. I'm scared for life. EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

ryan77

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

The one you picked up was the worst! Because of the wet shag carpet! I had to put a tyvex suit to strip it! I feel bad for the people at office depot where i dumped the carpet in their dumpster from that thing! My said why does everything you buy from georgia moldy????

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It is missing a few parts for the bows, namely the sleeve things that go over the ends of the bows to fit into the side rails. And one bow is missing. One hinge pin for the gate is too small, and the crank handle for the landing leg is missing. Oh, and it seems I have two of the same side rails on the trailer, as the bow storage brackets are on opposite ends.
Nice trailer, you can flip around the top board and the storage brackets so they are at the front, its just tedious to do.

Starting at the front and trying to recall everything done:
New light sockets and bulbs to every light. Trans cooler, Radiator. Fact-spec 190 T-stat, Trans lines. Belts, Hoses, Adjusted fuel valve, Filters and fluids, Heads and Gaskets-twice, Glow plugs, Flex oil and trans dip sticks, Power and Relay box added, OOGA horn, Power brake booster, Batteries, Mil-spec battery clamps, Heavier battery cables, Freeze plug heater, Exhaust system, Painted frame and truck w/ chassis liner, Lined inside w/ rolled roof patch and insulated. Added acc. fuse boxes, Added a clock, Wired glow plugs to a switch, Removed all extra wires not used in the harness, Seat cover, Painted interior black, Window rubbers replaced (need to redo vent windows and have right rubbers on hand), Punched vinyl graphic for my business on the back window, coated and covered the fuel tank, 700R4, Level 3 transmission, replaced transfer case (have a just aquired NP205 w/ adapter on hand now to swap in), New U-joints in front axle and re-packed hubs (have other U-joints on hand for when needed), Ceramic coated the Diff covers Gun Metal grey, Replaced axle fluid, Added aux. Halogen Hi-beams, Removed cat-eye lights, Added a trailer hitch and wire connector (going to be adding a plow sub-frame to the front and putting a 2" receiver on that), Added a port to the trans pan for a temp sensor, Have gauges ready to install (2 voltage, oil press, oil, water and trans temp, and a tach) need to finish installing sensors, Put in an Aluminum Heater core (will be putting in a salvaged copper one asap), Replaced glow plug relay, Changed headlights to be powered directly from relays to reduce light switch load, replaced power steering hoses and pump, have electric fuel pump and new style factory filter to install, blacked out my running and rear lenses w/ spray tint, added little round reflectors over the 4 canvas cover holes in the tailgate, removed the bed when doing chassis liner - disassembled and did inside and out (then punched several holes through the floor doing a scrap run), Firebird steering wheel (smaller), carpet dash pad, roof mount rifle rack, window mount rifle rack, behind seat rifle rack (I am a gunsmith), have/will be adding power steering filter, removed 24v resister (glow plugs wired direct), round mirrors at the front brush gaurd corners for passing on the highway, air intake tubing to the fender, aux power ports, insulated the hood,

Things I'd like / plan: Aux fuel tanks, 2nd freeze plug heater, Oil pan heater, aux battery, hyd. lines for Mile Marker winch, fuel line heaters at the injectors, a gps mount that doesn't keep falling off the window, something to put in the radio empty spot, tinted windows, better / more firewall insulation, I'd like a dump box but I will never pay for it, Running boards or side steps.

wayne pick

Jerry can mounts.

I mounted two jerry cans I got with M1009 rusticle I bought a while ago. I got the mounts from Saturn Surplus yesterday. It looks OK I guess. I have to find rattle can OD paint to do the cans, and figure out some way to secure the cans with a lock. I don't trust the mutts around here.

Attachments

Vhyle

After installing the fuel pump and injector drainback tube, I'm have a helluva time getting the air out of the system. I spent about an hour last night trying to bleed the system. I followed the bleeding procedures according to the TM (the vent plug on top of the fuel filter base), and I have the injectors cracked, and nothing yet. I had to stop and put the rear battery on charge overnight, so I can try again tonight. But, someone at work said that I have to bleed the air out much like bleeding air out of brake lines. Crank it, then open the vent plug, and then close it once you stop cranking. Let it rest, and try again. So I'm gonna need a friend to help me out, looks like. I'd like to do it tonight but it's so wet and miserable outside, I'm really not up for it.

Is there a way I can prime the fuel pump? Can I remove the lines and perhaps fill up the pump with fuel with a turkey baster or something? Perhaps do the same to the fuel filter base (remove vent plug and drop some fuel in there)?

richingalveston

I have primed the fuel filter base by using a hand vacuum pump (same one for bleeding brakes) connect it to vent line, open valve and pump it till fuel flows without air bubles. If you stop pumping and have to remove the line to empty the cup just make sure you close the valve prior to removing the line. I still had to crack the injector lines to get the remaining air out of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks