• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Got the alternators back and installed them and fixed the wiring harness. For fixing the 12 ga wiring, I used butt connectors instead of the parallel ones shown in the wiring harness thread. I could find the parallel ones so I restored to butt connectors.

Anyone know if a 6.2 HMMWV water pump will fit into the M1009?

Anyone have a very good or NOS CUCV radiator out there?

I've got a used injector pump and I'm thinking of doing all this stuff in the near future. IP is barely leaking, radiator is developing an issue and summer is coming.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was planning to do oil changes to the M1009 and two jeeps today, and remembering the frustration of trying to find the proper filter using the list in the stickies, I did some research and compiled this list. If anyone sees a problem with it just let me know. The sticky list has filters I am not seeing locally.

CUCV OIL:
· Oil is 15W40 for diesel. Rotella is available in gallon jugs and quarts at just about any convenience store or truck stop. Engine capacity is 7 quarts.
· Oil filter is FRAM# PH13
NAPA# FIL1092
ACDELCO# PF1218CL
K&N# HP-3002
Purolator PL34631 or L34631 (preferred)
WIX 51060XP (preferred)
Mobil 1 Model M1302 (preferred)
A63180 Foam-Wrapped version air filter or A63181

Hasdrubal

I think that Wix number is 51061. Its sold also by Napa; Gold 1061. Apparently they also have a Two Quart Version -51794

Did some searching, appears the 51060 will fit the 6.2, but it is the lower quality filter, sold as Napa Silver line. Info from Wix web page ;
Filter 51060 Beta Ratio: 2/20=17/41
Filter 51061 Beta Ratio: 2/20=11/27
the 061 is finer. With the numbers on the right of the = ..lower is better.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that Wix number is 51061. Its sold also by Napa; Gold 1061. Apparently they also have a Two Quart Version -51794

Did some searching, appears the 51060 will fit the 6.2, but it is the lower quality filter, sold as Napa Silver line. Info from Wix web page ;
Filter 51060 Beta Ratio: 2/20=17/41
Filter 51061 Beta Ratio: 2/20=11/27
the 061 is finer. With the numbers on the right of the = ..lower is better.
Well, I ended up at wal-mart and got the Purolator anyway, but that's good info for my cheat-sheet.

Five hours, three oil filters, two air filters, and 21 quarts of various oils; the PM at my motor pool is complete.

I did the M1009 last, and wouldn't you know it- the oil filter was dented when I took it out of the box. Dang. Sent the wife back to wal-mart while I worked on the coolant bottle.

EDIT to add: The 'big jug' of oil for the gas-fed vehicles is FIVE quarts, but the 'big jug' of oil for the diesels is only FOUR. Sneaky bastards...

Last edited:

shaker

I am having a on going issue with my m1009. The problem is on the fuel filter housing and it seems that nobody knows what is wrong. I was poring fuel out of the bottom plastic screw that is suppose to remove the water from the system. I searched around the local part stores with no such luck, I was told a dealer item only so I went to the local GM dealer and their head tech told me my plastic screw was leaking.... (Like I did not know) So I asked what was the problem and he said I needed to buy a screw which did not seem right. So we searched their computers and he finally pulled up a picture of the housing and sold me a plastic vent screw that appears to be one for the top to let off the air in the fuel system but assured me that would fix the problem. Well it slowed down the leak but still is leaking. I was told that the plastic screw that was originally in there was not bad but there is suppose to be a o-ring in the housing that the plastic screw fits in to and shuts off the fuel from going out and you unscrew the screw and water will come out when water is in system. My question is can anyone e-mail me the size of o-ring and or part number so I can buy the right stuff to fix my fuel issue. Everything is working perfect besides the leaking fuel issue.

Durango_USMC

Apparently I have a stuck caliper or drum on one of my wheels.... I want to say driverside front. Tried to drive it the other day put it in gear, didnt roll forward freely. Felt like the parking brake was on... but I had already released the parkimg brake... rolled backwards just fine, but it seemed to be held back in forward. Hmmmm. Hope its not a transmission issue.

AceHigh

Apparently I have a stuck caliper or drum on one of my wheels.... I want to say driverside front. Tried to drive it the other day put it in gear, didnt roll forward freely. Felt like the parking brake was on... but I had already released the parkimg brake... rolled backwards just fine, but it seemed to be held back in forward. Hmmmm. Hope its not a transmission issue.
A stuck caliper should have the same resistance forward or back. I bet your parking brake cable is stiff from winter salt.

Durango_USMC

A stuck caliper should have the same resistance forward or back. I bet your parking brake cable is stiff from winter salt.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pull the TM. I was told that the reason it didn't have an issue with reverse was because reverse was a lower gear so it wouldn't have as much preceived resistance going in reverse as it would forward. But I will definitely take a look at the cable as soon as I can.

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pull the TM. I was told that the reason it didn't have an issue with reverse was because reverse was a lower gear so it wouldn't have as much preceived resistance going in reverse as it would forward. .

There's some truth in that, but you are still going to feel it. It really sounds more like parking brake to me. It's worth checking, anyway.

hodgeb

TechnoWeenie, nicely done! Did you stretch the carpet, or did you have pre-shaped/stretched pieces to install? I really need to get some sound dampening into mine, but I'm not sure what I'm going to for carpet yet and I'm hesitant to try stretching myself.

swinters

??? The ignition key did not work in the door locks?
The first thing you want to do when you get your CUCV is change the ignition cylinder and the door locks - unless you want everyone out there with a CUCV key to have access to your rig. They're all keyed the same, which is why they had a big chain bolted/welded to the floor or seat frame to padlock around the steering wheel. I got mine from a late 80's Chevy Astro at a local wrecking yard since they're the correct fit and they're the correct black color. I did the same on my M1009 but took the rear window lock to a locksmith to have the tumbler set to the door key. Cost was around $10.00 for that.

Militia1776

image.jpgimage.jpgWhile driving home from work my speedo needle started to jump and the became possessed and started doing circles and making a terrible noise. Pulled ove and determined the truck was still running right. When I got home I looked at the speedo cable and I had been sitting on the exhaust pipe and the thing had completely melted! So took the oportunity to rip the dash completely apart and clean the 27 years of rush and dirt out of it. When putting it back together I have loosed light up so now pain stackingly going thought each one and getting them to work.

Attachments

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TechnoWeenie, nicely done! Did you stretch the carpet, or did you have pre-shaped/stretched pieces to install? I really need to get some sound dampening into mine, but I'm not sure what I'm going to for carpet yet and I'm hesitant to try stretching myself.
I've never done carpet before, FYI.

The pan is fairly flat. I did nothing but trim to fit.

There is a little extra around the trans hump, as you can see in the pic, but not a lot.

Home Depot exterior carpet 18$ for 6x6, 25$ for foam padding 6x8, and 2.5 rolls of peel and seal, about $40

haven't taken it on the road yet...

hodgeb

TechnoWeenie, I'm interested in hearing how well (eg. related to a 'normal' modern vehicle, maybe) it dampens sound. I've heard/found that most of the road noise actually comes from the rear...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TechnoWeenie, I'm interested in hearing how well (eg. related to a 'normal' modern vehicle, maybe) it dampens sound. I've heard/found that most of the road noise actually comes from the rear...

Hood - engine noise. still need to insulate.

Back, still need to insulate, dunno but carpet or not.

A few posts I've seen have said that carpet front/rear and hood insulator took it down to 'normal' diesel truck levels, Ie F350, 3500, etc. I want it to be quiet, and well insulated. Hence the isolator + foam + carpet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks