• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalloy1

added 2 qts atf and ran to briones and back. i think she likes it! many down trees and landslides encountered along the way. glad i took beast. made it back home with flying colors! swapped out oem heater core with new unit. hopefully no more green fluid on floor fro here on. tomorrow r&r front pads on explorer and install dogheaD RELAY ON BEAST BEFORE sight in new savage.:driver:

TJ's Minion

Hello all,
I joined ss about a week ago and bought a 87' m1009 (1st one / 1st diesel) about a month ago. since then I've installed a new exhaust, spin on fuel filter, 2' ball reciever, ammo can console, bear cat cb and a xantrex inverter on its own battery that will be charged from a solar panel mounted underneath a sun roof installed in the cap. It's been difficult finding an old school un-tinted/non power sun roof though.
I've learned a lot from this site and look forward to learn and share more.

Attachments

edpdx

Received a roll of Tygon to replace the injector lines. Also soldered in a diode on my starter relay. Until I can figure out why my relay sticks sometimes until I give it a whack, it couldn't hurt.

edpdx

Marty G, that looks good. Was it hard to do? I have never done any kind of lift; but that does give it something alright.

mtn man

Able to snap a few pics today... been working on truck for about 6 months. Picked up at a local used car dealer that bought entire lot of them from GL... I got a great deal on a 'fixer upper' that the dealer had put a 12v starter on and was having 'starter trouble'... guys, I couldn't have done it w/o this site! From flywheel and started to fuel fliter and wiring this site has been helpful.

scranch18121

Able to snap a few pics today... been working on truck for about 6 months. Picked up at a local used car dealer that bought entire lot of them from GL... I got a great deal on a 'fixer upper' that the dealer had put a 12v starter on and was having 'starter trouble'... guys, I couldn't have done it w/o this site! From flywheel and started to fuel fliter and wiring this site has been helpful.
Where are your pics..... i'd like to see em'

mtn man

interior mods

Added a 12v fuse block (posted in past) I picked it up at a chain parts store and wired it to bat1 for 12v power. Has 6 circuits. So far I have 12v outlet and my CB wired to it. Hope to add my rechargable light, driving lights, and maybe a radio. I will use a relay for the heavy drawing things... I picked up a jack and handle and got those back in place. Bought a junkyard seat that was in good shape but took a cover and put it on it by using metal flex tape and self tapping screws to attach the seat cover... fits tight as a drum and has been good for several months now. I painted the dash and door panels with some high temp black... they had bad overspray and I had the gloss black. I also have bought a thick rubber floor mat with jute backing. I will be putting this in later once it warms up... still too cold for this work.

Attachments

mtn man

other electrical

Rebuilt Gen 1 and added new plugs to both Alternators... these were OTS at the parts store and with the old broken ones replaced I got good voltage. Use the dielectric grease on all connectors and things seam to work great. Picked up a 'boat trailer' LED light and wired this in to tail lights... got to have lit tag in NC... works great even after a trip into a snowy ditch... gotta love LED's. I have a 101 trailer but regular trailer as well so I did a pintle hitch and wired a 4-way plug so I can use military plug or 4 way depending on trailer.

Attachments

mtn man

trailer

Picked up a great 101a2 trailer the other week. Mint condition... until I start to haul wood, mulch, and some rock... Not even a scatch on it and all the lights work great, parking brakes, and surge breaks really help. :D

Attachments

mtn man

other fixes

No pics but I have done a few other things:
- new door pins
- door seals
- dash lights
- changed all fluids and filters
-tool box
- under coated
- radiator
- manual glow plug conv (switch next to amp meter)
- cleaned about every connector.

Couldn't have done it with out the help of the site!! I am likely #1 searcher and reader of post, just don't post much. In laws have a 1028 that is really nice. Take care of it and is has same tires and most of the other things. We share the trailer so its a good deal. The 1028 doesn't even have a crack in the dash and the seat is perfect... if it wasn't for the forklift operators it would be mint truck.

chevyCUCV

Couple weeks ago did new kingpin springs and bushings

Yesterday replaced tie rods with new Moog
Did rear shocks with Rancho RS5000, fronts did not come with correct spacers
And a new steering stabilizer

Truck drives much better now, the steering wheel is much firmer and no death wobble anymore

Thanks for all the info i gather from this site

mtn man

ohh yeah, that death wobble is a B.... I did the same thing with a steering stabilizer and I also put in a 'slightly used' steering box and that really helped. Picked it up at the junkyard. No play in steering now. I still have to get shocks, just now sure which ones.

QuickSilver

My M1009 Had some crappy rubber pad under the seats in the front. I took the front seats out, tore out the pad, tore out all the nasty padding that was under it, and cleaned all the floor boards up with a lot of CLR, a water hose, some elbow grease, and a lot of help from my sister. Looks much better now! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks