• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished installing my new engine about two hours ago. It runs great, But the passenger side freeze plug behind the motor mount is leaking water. Looks like i've got alot more wrench turning to do.

Patattack

last week i finished putting a new flywheel in it, cuz i almost got stuck in the burger king drive thru. today i cleaned all the trash out and reorginized my back now its all clean.

Red_506

Ok So just a few more things to add... I have replaced my rear window crank, mounted a 5 Litre fuel tank in the rear, jimmy rigged a wing nut for the spare using misc parts from the hard ware store. I also have a new center console and a power inverter I plan on plugging accessories in. I added a couple of exterior pictures for fun. Enjoy.
Get a funnel and a Military Fuel Spout for that can. You will absolutely loathe that nozzle.

isaacucv

Dodged Bullets! My girlfriend and I were driving in an old reclaimed coal mine area, where we stopped to look at an old burned out excavator. As we are crawling around she turns to me and says "do you hear missiles or something?" To which I replied "no, you're hearing things" of course. Two minutes later I can hear them snapping through the air! I sounded like they were hitting theground around us it was so loud. We could here someone shooting but we couldn't see them. We sat in the bucket until the shooters reloaded to jumped in the truck and get out of there. That was a first for me. All this on my maiden voyage of my M1008!

Replaced some dash lights. Removed the gas can mount in back. Installed inside rear view mirror. Wednesday new bushings, body mounts and 3" body lift.
How has the lift worked out? Was thinking about a 2" lift but most manufacturers don't make one for diesels - say the rad will not get enough airflow when the cab gets lifted.

Did you use a custom shroud or an electric fan or ??

McCluskey

Replaced Fuel Filter, topped off fluids, basics like that.

Been having hard starting issues, did my tracking and I believe I narrowed it down to the Glowplug relay, so I swapped it out with the nice pricey Napa one. Real test tomorrow morning to see if it works.

Last edited:

PDePauw

Helo, This is one of my first posts. I bought a 1985 CUCV about 10 days ago. This is what i have done so far.

Inspected all the glow plugs
Pulled the frontand rear original shocks off

Does anyone have any shock suggestions?

Reconfigured the battery holdong bracket with better threaded rod

changed the 8 rubber lines on the injector pump

changed some rubber fuel line connections following the fuel line to the tank.

changed the fuel filter and some other vacuum hoses and fuel lines

bought a new air cleaner

The day after i bought it the seller was flying out of the country for 10 days. He gave me the wrong title from a vehicle he sold 4 months ago. I have been waiting for him to return.

The glow plug relay had been changed 2 months ago. The starter stuck on the seller, so my buddy who has three CUCV's is helping me trouble shoot some things to try and prevent a re sticking of the starter. So far, i really like it but i only drove it 20 miles.

Would anyone have any suggestions on commonly used shocks. I have been shopping around but i am still unsure of wwhat to get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

NCBloodhound

Replaced Fuel Filter, topped off fluids, basics like that.
:ditto: I also learned the hard way that my fuel gauge is off. I had the wonderful opportunity of learning how to bleed the fuel system. Not a big deal, but I had to go into town to get a pump to help with bleeding.

Front end alignment and new tires are next.

DIESELGREEN

Installed auto meter coolant temp and oil pressure gauges, waiting for trans temp gauge to come in. Installed my kennedy glow plugs too...one step closer...next up is a perfect fuse block from a donor 1008 found in a local salvage yard!

IdahoPlowboy

In the last few weeks I have changed all the locks,Rearched springs with new greasable bushings and 4.5 ORD shackles front and rear,new transmission braces,Splash panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks