• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief1983

It was really easy to install. You just replace three of the screws just under the hood lip with screws that have snaps on them, and the cover snaps onto those. Then you just drill two small pilot holes in the grill for the twist connectors or whatever they are, and that's it. There's two loops at the bottom of the canvas, that I'm not sure what they're for. I think you could tie the bottom back if you wanted to, but there was no mention in the installation instructions, and honestly, it would hold fine with just the snaps I think, if you were averse to drilling holes in your grill. The loops could then still be used for securing the lower portion without modifications to the truck.

I'm just pissed it warmed up so much this week, I'm gonna have to take it off to drive anywhere or it'll run too warm. I put it on the day after we hit 14 degrees, and tonight the low isn't even freezing.

CycleJay

re; What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Hi guys,

Believe it or not, tonight I did the Doghead Starter Relay Mod. to my M1009.

But I do not know what will happen yet, as one of the ends on one of the positive cables snapped (probably age, because I did NOT overtighten),
as I was tightening it.

So I am waiting for my ride to the parts store to get another battery cable,
and see what happens.

I will give you guys an update once I get it all done..

Wish me luck, that I do not blow up my truck. LOL

Good night,

CJ

AceHigh

Fun day. I estimated 40 minutes to remove both rear wheels and drums to inspect the brakes. Well, the job ultimately involved a sledge, pbblaster, mapp gas, wrecker bar and many other usless tools. Finally got them both! The 40 minutes turned into a few rough hours though.

Still had enough time to change the auto fluid and filter.

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

Here is the update.

I did the Doghead mod..

I replaced the snapped battery cable..

And now with a "snap" coming from the new relay,
my truck starts, runs, and drives perfectly.
And I should be able to drive it anywhere I need to go.

Now I can move on to other repairs/upgrades on my,
list of things to do to this truck..

Thanks for all your help guys, I would be glad to help any of you out too, anytime now.
(as long as I am not at work that is... )

Good night,

CJ

Dock Rocker

I did the doghead mod. Took all of the interior out and ripped out all of the rubber floor Matt that was in the cab. All it was doing was holding in moisture. Put some new battery terminals on and got everything ready to bring some 12 volt into the cab. Next week I am steam cleaning the inside of the cab to and welding up all of the pin holes that have rusted through. I will prime them up and hit the whole interior with herculiner.

HOGGIN84

Fresh out of the Booth!!

Well i got my M1010 convert painted yesterday, added a spray on bed liner with the paint and camper, next is new 12 bolt HMMWV wheels and some radials!! and getting my bed done in line-x , a safari rack to hold my sparre wheel/tire and wherever the road takes me!!!!

What do you think???? Thoughts??? thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

jdeoliveira74

Well i got my M1010 convert painted yesterday, added a spray on bed liner with the paint and camper, next is new 12 bolt HMMWV wheels and some radials!! and getting my bed done in line-x , a safari rack to hold my sparre wheel/tire and wherever the road takes me!!!!

What do you think???? Thoughts??? thanks in advance!!!
I like the safari rack idea I am planing to do mine eventually for sure. How does your truck ride with the bias ply tires??
Jon

cpf240

My son and I changed the trans filter and fluid as well as replaced the fuel filter this past weekend.

The truck was also having cold start problems that turned out to be the GP relay. I replaced the relay today with a Standard SS608, which was a bolt on replacement for the old one. Well, old silver one from the military, not the original factory black one. The nuts from the old terminals fit the new relay perfectly. I bought the relay from a local independent auto parts house, so I'm sure I spent more then I needed to, but I like supporting the local guy.

Here are shots of the relay and today's assistant mechanic:

Attachments

jets1959

My son and I changed the trans filter and fluid as well as replaced the fuel filter this past weekend.

The truck was also having cold start problems that turned out to be the GP relay. I replaced the relay today with a Standard SS608, which was a bolt on replacement for the old one. Well, old silver one from the military, not the original factory black one. The nuts from the old terminals fit the new relay perfectly. I bought the relay from a local independent auto parts house, so I'm sure I spent more then I needed to, but I like supporting the local guy.

Here are shots of the relay and today's assistant mechanic:
Looks like assistant mechanic and co-driver!:smile:

Draco-87

Ok so the #2 alt. went bad pulled both off to get rebuilt. put them both on the 09 today started it back up and no problems! until i took it for a drive, as soon as i got to about 45 mph the gen #2 lite came on (dim) and the charge droped. as soon as the alt cools it charges again until it warms up and the lite comes back on, so i guess i,ll pull the alt off again and take it back to the shop and see whats up with it. By the way the spin on fuel filter works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.