• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis8472

Wrapped my steering wheel with 550 paracord.
After searching for a 'leather-like' steering wheel wrap like the one I had on my old Blazer, and finding most places no longer make/carry wraps for full sized wheels, I reviewed some of the other members posts on thiers and went that route.

Local army surplus didn't have 300+ foot rolls, just 100' sections. I read that it takes around 150' and wanted to do it with one peice, but figured I'd just pick up a few 100 footers and run with it.

I won't say it was 'easy', but it was simple. (even tying my boots up is painful for the moment)
Turned out better then I expected. I wrapped each loop as tight around as I could, to the point I was worried about putting too much stress on the wheel/column. In the end it is very tight, feels like it is molded to the wheel and not a wrap.
It took exactly 99' 4" of paracord.
I went with black cord, and I'm glad I did because it hides the small gaps here and there where my pain outweighed my desire to make it 'perfect'.

wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

combatmech

Removed and replaced steering damper. Leaking like crazy.
P/N from the -20 4993563 crossed over to several replacement parts.....
Monroe SC2913 ( My local NAPA had it for 34 bucks )
Rockauto.com also had these P/N's listed: ACDelco 509606, KYB 10325 and many more.
:beer:

SPCWarning

Well i got my M1010 convert painted yesterday, added a spray on bed liner with the paint and camper, next is new 12 bolt HMMWV wheels and some radials!! and getting my bed done in line-x , a safari rack to hold my sparre wheel/tire and wherever the road takes me!!!!

What do you think???? Thoughts??? thanks in advance!!!
HOGGIN84, your truck looks great! Send pics of the rack once it's installed.

wrex

Wrapped my steering wheel with 550 paracord.
After searching for a 'leather-like' steering wheel wrap like the one I had on my old Blazer, and finding most places no longer make/carry wraps for full sized wheels, I reviewed some of the other members posts on thiers and went that route.

Local army surplus didn't have 300+ foot rolls, just 100' sections. I read that it takes around 150' and wanted to do it with one peice, but figured I'd just pick up a few 100 footers and run with it.

I won't say it was 'easy', but it was simple. (even tying my boots up is painful for the moment)
Turned out better then I expected. I wrapped each loop as tight around as I could, to the point I was worried about putting too much stress on the wheel/column. In the end it is very tight, feels like it is molded to the wheel and not a wrap.
It took exactly 99' 4" of paracord.
I went with black cord, and I'm glad I did because it hides the small gaps here and there where my pain outweighed my desire to make it 'perfect'.

View attachment 294836

View attachment 294837

I did the same thing, but a little different. I used Gray foam pipe insulation to give it some cushion, then covered that with OD green cloth from Joanna's (lol, I know, I know) and then wrapped it with OD green Paracord.

Draco-87

Had the rebuilt alt. tested, still bad. Makes me think all they did was clean it up. but a 108 amp is only $99 at the parts store. Thinking i might flip the bill for that one!:?

wayne pick

M1031 buckboard ride

I did an oil change and had to make a tv cable adj on my m1031, wasn't shifting right. It has a 700r4 and a banks turbo installed by the previous owner. It also has a flatbed in place of the contact maint box. It's light. I took it for a 40mi ride from ossining ny to brookfield conn to the inlaws for dinner and gift exchange for the kids, that's where it get's funny, it's the first time my girlfriend has ever ridden in it. Of course the heat was not hot enough and the ride was well a bit stiff for her liking. I 684 just north of somers has not been resurfaced yet, it's a corduroy road all the way to brewster at that point and im doing almost 65. Well she is bouncing so bad she would have left the seat if not for the seatbelt, and when my tom tom- speedo-phone flew off the windshield and hit the back window she gave me that-you have got to be kidding me look. She hated it. She vows to never ride in "that thing" again. I had all i could do not to laugh out loud. - just thought you guys would get a kick out of this story.

Attachments

ryan77

Installed a power tailgate, dropped a 1/2' ratchet on my face when a bolt broke and busted my front tooth. Now i look like im on swamp people!!!! Going to dentist on thurs thank god for insurance!!!

tequilaiam

Installed a power tailgate, dropped a 1/2' ratchet on my face when a bolt broke and busted my front tooth. Now i look like im on swamp people!!!! Going to dentist on thurs thank god for insurance!!!
What's the throw on the actuator(s)? I rescued a 6-inch actuator from the discard pile at work and was wondering if I could use it for the tailgate.

one2boost

I used to have almost 30 of these in my fleet of vehicles. I believe I had more trucks than blazers though. Through the years I have done many different repairs from simple wiper blade replacements to engine/transmission swaps. I have also done many different mods to a variety of these vehicles from fabricating new battery trays for Optima batteries, 12 volt conversions, replacing the glow plug timer card for a simple momentary switch, etc... Now days I am lucky our fleet got downsized to roughly 8 or so.

wired1000

I installed rear seat belts (procured from Hawkman. Thanks!!!) Replaced my fuel filter thanks to a helpful video and some replies posted by some members here.

:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks