• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne pick

That thought did cross my mind at one point, but I operate heavy equipment and at the end of the day i just want to put it in gear and go. It is a great idea though. A lot of fab work is a downside. I'll be borrowing a friends shop to swap out the 700. a quick in and out job as not to tie up his shop. If it was summer I would consider it. It's too cold to start a project like that now.

That thought did cross my mind at one point, but I operate heavy equipment and at the end of the day i just want to put it in gear and go. It is a great idea though. A lot of fab work is a downside. I'll be borrowing a friends shop to swap out the 700. a quick in and out job as not to tie up his shop. If it was summer I would consider it. It's too cold to start a project like that now.
Truth... :?

:lol:

Armorsolutions

Did it a couple weeks ago, but here is my 12v accessory power I installed. Put a 12v fuse block under the 24v service bus in the back and re wired original 12v cig lighter , added 2 more 12v accessory power ports, a dash wired USB power port and a switch to run power to my hard wired rechargeable flashlight. I have POWER now. Haha

Attachments

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

After work, I ran my M1009 down to Advance auto parts, disconnected both batteries,
so they can test them individually and get accurate results.

About 13.5 volts came out of each battery, with roughly over 900 CCA coming from
each battery..

So I guess they are in good shape, thank God.

Funny thing though, when reconnecting the batteries in the auto store parking lot,
one of the battery post clamps would not tighten, so I ran inside and got a new one,
and replaced that too, (the old one looked pretty bad..)
And replaced all the felt washers on all 4 battery posts while I was at it.

So now it starts, runs, and drives good again.. So I am good to go, again..

Good day, Merry Christmas..

CJ

P.s. When I get that GP card from CUCV Electric, I will post an update,
and let you know what if anything happens.

P.s.s. I like the double power outlet and usb port panel, ArmorSolutions,
I may consider that for my M1009 too..
As my cigarette lighter hangs from the bottom of the dashboard,
right next to the STE/ICE port, so it looks kinda ugly and unsafe there..

O.D. Fever

My service call was canceled, so I had another wrenchfest on the 1009. New valve cover gaskets, and injectors. No more oil leak and the low speed blubber is gone, its still a dog so I might turn up the fuel.

ryan77

I pulled the dents from the roof, Cut out a rust spot on the drivers rocker, removed about 3 gallons of sand from the rocker panel, welded in a patch panel!!!!!

chief1983

Had a neighbor help me with creating some brackets for mounting my new power inverter on the wheel well and patched up a hole in other wheel well. Also got the rings in the back bent up for a Draw-Tite hitch install I'll be doing. Now to just get the inverter wired, and my cigarette lighter installed, and I'll have some power available too. Went with the PowerBright 1500W 24V inverter, I'll be wiring it to the bus for the radio with an inline fuse. Hope it can handle that kind of juice, that's 60A at full sustainable load.

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I did not have a chance to work on it yet today.
But I did just order a solargizer from a reputable seller on ebay.
Using their "buy it now" option.
Looking forward to getting it in a few days, so I can keep my batteries topped of,
and make them last longer..

Will work on it tomorrow or this weekend, to replace the old battery cables,
I have not replaced yet, and hopefully my GP card if I get it by then.

Good day,

CJ
P.s. I am enjoying doing this work myself, and learning in the process..

cpf240

So, yesterday I'm trying to unplug the headlights so I can clean the connectors and put dielectric grease on the terminals. Driver side, no problem. Passenger side? The terminals break loose from the glass, but still wouldn't come out of the connector or the glass.

Today I bought some Wagner H6054BL headlights, the local place didn't carry the Sylvania Silverstars, and said these were the Wagner equivalent. Finally got the passenger side headlight out and installed the new headlights. Now to find a place and figure out how to aim them properly. Everyone seems to have a different method.

While under the hood, I decided to disconnect the firewall connector and clean and grease the connections there. No problems, but I did notice that it looks like something got hot there at some point, as the wires and connectors looked a bit "melty" though there are no exposed wires, etc. Wonder what happened?

Everything went back together without a problem, and everything seems to work just fine. I suppose I'll need to keep an eye out for some wiring harness sets. Anyone parting out an '84 M1009 with good harnesses? :razz:

M1008, 39,000 miles:
Chassis saver paint on, under, beneath, between...
Exhaust,
Aluminum Radiator, heater hoses, solderd heater core inlet / outlet.
headlight relays and terminals.
Accessory fuse boxes.
Air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter.
Sealed w/ chassis saver and wrapped w/ roofing tape fuel tank.
Brakes.
Rubber halogen utility lights w/ the high beams.
New weather strips on doors and door windows.
Saddle blanket seat cover.
Fixed the tailgate latch.
Epoxied the broken side marker lights.

To be done:
700r4
U-joints through-out
Find and fix the rattle behind the gauges.
Fix my fuel gauge, reads full at 1/4 tank.
Install temp gauges for coolant, transmission, oil.
Install oil pressure gauges.
Maybe find an unbroken grill.
Replace the bent rim with the spares rim, (spares tire tread is falling off).
Pay to have put on lift and resprayed underneath with chassis saver and then rust proofed.

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hi all,

Just got mine towed home from where I had to run an errand to today.

When I came out, while cranking the engine, there was a little clank,
and the familiar sound of the starter spinning.. Darn...

It has been running so well lately..

At least the starter is under warranty, so I will get my truck looked at asap.

It even started and drove just fine when I left to go run my errands..

Hmmm, frustrating..

Good night,

CJ

wayne pick

Bad tranny

Pulled the trans out of my 1031 today to save some $$$, won't shift out of 1st. When it does, No OD, Inconsistent shifts. It's a 700r4 swap by the previous owner. I have only had it for a few months-400 miles. It's a good thing I took it out, Seeing as I could have used a 1/4 in ratchet to remove it, Sooner or later it would have fell out. Everything was loose. Lots of iron fuzz on the pan magnet. Also found black RTV gooberd all over the leaky rear main seal. Am I bitter? No. Dissapointed? Hea, Im going for a stage three type rebuild. High $$$$ just to be over and done with it. Ask questions. I didn't assuming it was one of a few high dollar upgrades to this truck, I thought it would have been done right for the money I paid for it, Six grand, I don't want to have to rebuild the tranny again for some time. Well, At least I can start the new year with a fresh HD trans. Happy new year to all at Steel Soldiers.

jets1959

Pulled the trans out of my 1031 today to save some $$$, won't shift out of 1st. When it does, No OD, Inconsistent shifts. It's a 700r4 swap by the previous owner. I have only had it for a few months-400 miles. It's a good thing I took it out, Seeing as I could have used a 1/4 in ratchet to remove it, Sooner or later it would have fell out. Everything was loose. Lots of iron fuzz on the pan magnet. Also found black RTV gooberd all over the leaky rear main seal. Am I bitter? No. Dissapointed? Hea, Im going for a stage three type rebuild. High $$$$ just to be over and done with it. Ask questions. I didn't assuming it was one of a few high dollar upgrades to this truck, I thought it would have been done right for the money I paid for it, Six grand, I don't want to have to rebuild the tranny again for some time. Well, At least I can start the new year with a fresh HD trans. Happy new year to all at Steel Soldiers.
Sorry, this had to be so costly for you, but at least now you will know what you have!

Abbylind

Did the doghead relay change, installed a new CDR, cleaned the return fuel flow valve and replaced the rubber hose. Put in a relay to control my radios (ignition on turns battery power to the radios) I was getting real bad alternator whine when I had the radios hooked up through the ignition port on the fuse block. Next Im going to replace the GPs, then its off to get the springs redone and add a leaf...

IROC99

No mechanical work, but did install front seat covers from Smittybuilt with molle pack system on sides and back of seats. Used velcro tape to make covers form fitted. Look great and are very functional for storage.

Abbylind

The relay powers the AM FM and one of my two way radios. The AM FM doesnt have a clock or presets, Most AM FM radios nowdays have two power sources One for battery (Clock and presets) and one for ignition (radio control} Im powering both radios through the battery. The relay uses the ignition source to turn that (battery power) on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.