• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR7985

Went to put on a new wiper motor. Turns out in my 1985 M1009 they used the older wiper motor. So the one i bought won't work. Picking the other up tomorrow to switch it out.

Jeremiah_Johnson

Turbo for 6.5 Diesel

Anybody needing a turbo for a 6.2 diesel , There is one listed on Atlanta craigslist Turbo for GMC Diesel--- 6.5 Lumpkin co GA is the complete set up off of a 1996 GMC... hope someone grabs this one ...

Went to put on a new wiper motor. Turns out in my 1985 M1009 they used the older wiper motor. So the one i bought won't work. Picking the other up tomorrow to switch it out.

You can make it work. The previous owner of my 1009 put the newer style of wiper motor on, intermittent wipers, and the newer type of windshield washer pump.

DanR7985

You can make it work. The previous owner of my 1009 put the newer style of wiper motor on, intermittent wipers, and the newer type of windshield washer pump.
I know I could make it work. I compared the two side by side and they look identical, save the pump parts. I just don't want to go through the hassle of putting on a separate pump.

DanR7985

Just put the correct wiper motor on and tested it. It runs much faster now, the wiper pump still works, and the blades will park instead of playing the timing game. All in all other than freezing to death I think it turned out rather well. This also might be a first that I do mechanic work and don't bleed

Last edited:

epitts

My local shop was running a facebook special, safety inspection for free. Owner is former Army Motor pool, so I stopped by with my M1009 for the free inspection. Only a few minor leaks and all was in good shape.

DanR7985

what kind of motor, parts, type so on and so forth....want to do the same thks
The motor series ended if I remember right in 1984. Make sure it comes with the washer pump. Starting in (I think) 1985 GM started using new motors that did not have a built in washer pump. It's actually a very easy swap.

Abbylind

Repaired the windshield washer. I put in a repair kit for the pump previously...no joy. The pump would work intermittently. I messed with the cannon plug which plugs into the wiper motor assembly...hit or miss. The rebuild on the washer pump began leaking so I was going to replace the entire assembly. A friend was parting out an 87 K30 dually so I bought the washer bottle (mine was cracked too) This washer bottle has the motor attached to the bottle. I jumpered the cannon plug to the new washer bottle motor...Viola! It works! I took the output fluid tube from the new bottle and put in a plastic barbed Y connector to the 2 nozzles that spray the windshield. Rerouted the cables from the old washer pump to the new bottle and now I have a working windshield washer! :D

chevyCUCV

I moved a couch,
Then i played in the snow, i went sideways down every road i was on. I love that i leave 2 distinct tire marks and fishtails down the whole road.:) :driver:

Found a rad, front springs, and fan+clutch on CL for 200.. Thinking about grabbing it for 100-150.

K9Vic

M1009 #2 my restore project did allot of mechanical work today inspecting the drive line to make sure it is all OK. I checked the front bearings and repacked them and found that they were all OK and had recent work done. I broke two bolts on the lockout hubs, but was able to get them out and had spares. Hubs were fine, did not need to be replaced.

The rear brakes were all good and the passenger side had the wheel cylinder recently replaced. Changed out the front and rear axle oil and inspected the gears, that all checked out OK. After all that painted the wheels flat black and finished the day just before the sun started to set.

Allot more to do to restore this truck with the hardest part being the interior work. When it is done it should look like a new truck, well at least a really clean used one LOL :D

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.