• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR7985

Just finished fixing my mirror as it started to snow. My passenger side mirror was hanging on by one screw. The other two pulled through. So I used three 1 x 1/4" hex head bolts, six 1/4" washers, three 1/4" lock washers, and three 1/4" nuts. After taking off the door panel two of them were fairly easy to put in, but one was a rather large pain. However it is done now, and needless to say the mirror that has been hanging since I bought it two years ago is now fixed.

wayne pick

Threw both alt belts this morning, had bought new ones when i first got the truck and lazilly threw them behind the seat. At first i thought, OH NO, the vibration dampener let go by all the racket it made. I cut them off the fan clutch hub with diag cutter and replaced the belts. A 20 min roadside repair with the help of a $15.00 step stool i got at harbor freight- handy. I keep a tool bag w basic wrenches and sockets, wire, fuses, zip ties ect for emergency repairs behind the seat. No big deal. Just glad it didn't happen 40mi from nowhere w no tools or parts, been there, done that. :oops:

txmytx_catahoula

Replaced the weather seals on the hardtop this weekend, plus went ahead and snaked wire for a dome light in the front and cargo area. Getting it off was easy enough, with gravity's help. A couple of pieces 3/4" PVC conduit placed across the bed really helped slide the top back into position. It also took my 200+ lbs on top to seat the new rubber into place. All else went well.

edpdx

Wayne pick,

good to hear there were no greater roadside issues. Got me thinking about working so high up. I usually step on top of one of my ammo can tool boxes. I have seen those steps that hook over the tire, and the ones that double as the front plate frame. They may give too much elevation though. I'll have to look into this. At 6'1" I can barely remove the back air filter wing nut. I definitely will get some type of step for these roadside jobs.

Put in a freeze plug heater. Tightened to spec and went to work. I put it back in this am, at work. Tightened it in and the bolt stripped. Drove it home with water in it and it held. Drained and filled with coolant, seems ok. Replaced the t-stat, still sucky heat. Have had the core out, seemed ok. Checked the mix door then, seemed ok.
Best mod: A heater fan elbow hose clamped onto the radiator petcock and through a hole in the inner fender made w/ a step drill. No messy, wasteful fluid drains!

wayne pick

edpdx, Im just shy of 5-9, so other than climb into the eng compartment, that step came in handy. I can reach just about everything with it. I was thinking of fabbing a step and bolting it onto the bottom most portion of the grill guard or lower on the lifting shackles, a bolt on setup w no drilling or cobbing it up. As far as the repair went, I always keep tools and stuff onboard so i can MacGiver it back to where i can make a proper repair, I have done that w all the trucks i have owned, not just this one. These trucks seem to have sat for long periods of time judging by the low mileage most of them have. Things go bad, so ya gotta be prepaired. Thanks for the shoutback, WP.

Anubis8472

I hang my tow chains acrost the lifting shackles front and rear.
They make for great steps.
Never had them come loose, but if you're concerned about it you can always use a zip-tie as a safety catch.
You can tighten/loosen them to the height you need.

Draco-87

well i was going to replace the engine oil cooler lines. and noticed radiator fluid comming from the back of the engine block. the passenger side of the valley is wet with radiator fluid so now i have to replace the head gaskets aua But i love this CUCV!

Kats freeze plug heater let loose again. Really heated the engine this time as the thing dumped the fluid under the truck and I didn't know. Hoping, but don't know yet, that everything survived. Sweating about cracked heads, cooked transmission, ruined water pump. Ran ok in the yard.

DanR7985

Kats freeze plug heater let loose again. Really heated the engine this time as the thing dumped the fluid under the truck and I didn't know. Hoping, but don't know yet, that everything survived. Sweating about cracked heads, cooked transmission, ruined water pump. Ran ok in the yard.
Man, that sucks. Have you thought about using a product other than Kat's? I want to put a freeze plug heater in mine, but I just haven't done it yet. I am very skeptical about getting heir brand after all the troubles you have had with yours.

Red_506

I drove my 1009 just under 300 miles to Camp Roberts and back this past weekend with no problems averaging about 75 MPH. Great truck, other than the extreme road noise.

wayne pick

corelokt, On your previous thread you said u stripped the bolt, u may have broken the tin wing nut on the back of the heater that clamps it to the block. You don't have to crank down on it, just tighten it so it's snug, make sure the freeze out hole is clean and free of rust or scale, use sand paper, smear some orange RTV on the o-ring but let it setup on it's own witthout heating it by running the engine to operating temp and u should be fine. Hope u didn't bake anything. After hearing what happend to u im thinking about putting a high temp alarm on mine. Just somthing to think about. Hope it works out. WP

rednckii

Just put on new rotors and calipers figured while i was at it do no wheel bearings to. Well in my infinate wisdom i figured now is as good as any time to go ahead and put on my drw hubs. Put them all together and looks pretty good just need to bleed brakes tomorrow and get all the tires swapped over to the duals. Went to check and think my bearings are a little loose so gonna check the tm see what they need to be torqued to. Oh welll figure i would just share what i did in the rain pics be up when get alll done. Wife wont let me near camera when covered in grease not sure why?

camp9

Put a tilt steering wheel in the 1009 today, went pretty good. Everything works except the washer fluid pump. The new column I got has wiper delay and cruise so that might have something to do with it. If I can't trace it down I'll put the old switch back in it. And I'll do some reading here and see if I can run across something about it. :tin hat:

Status
Not open for further replies.