• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt65

Looks good, but gotta ask, do gas stations sell bad diesel? Water in the fuel, sand, grit or what ever can creep into the stations tanks? I picked up a replacement to the box filter but don't have a pre filter. My 2003 Duramax doesn't have one either and haven't had any fuel problems except one recalled filter batch.

Attached is what I installed
I run low %s of WMO to offset fuel cost. It is filtered to 5 microns before use and I have never had any problems. Should I ever, the pre filter will clog first due to size and being in front of the main filter. I can remove it from the loop, and bleed much easier vs. pulling the canister on the highway. If I had an electric fuel pump and no WMO, I would probably not run the prefilter.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything you can do to protect your fuel injection system is money well spent. Fuel does get contaminated and the injection system is the most expensive part of your engine. My cousin manages a refinery and tells me that when the fuel suppliers get ready to change over between summer and winter blends they run the tanks down, especially in the fall, and in spite of their best efforts sometimes the trucks picking up fuel will pick up moisture and debris. Then the tanks at the gas station heat and cool with the weather and take in air as fuel is pumped out of them so get moisture in them from the air. I've seen dirt and gravel dumped into the tanks accidentally as the fuel truck was dumping into them. If you let your truck sit and the tank isn't full you're getting moisture from the air as well - and accelerating microbe growth. Plenty of opportunities for moisture and debris to get into the fuel along the supply chain and an ounce of prevention is certainly worth a pound of cure.
Sounds like my prefilter that came with the junk yard set up needs installation. I'll figure out the plumbing and get a new filter. Going to look like Frankenstein rigging but thats the fun of owning a CUCV!:driver:

mtn man

Finally got my hi-lift jack mounted this past weekend. Chose the rear wheel well as location... not my favorite, but should work find considering jack can be removed easily. 1st I measured with detail, then drilled the holes for all 8 bolts. I then sanded, prepped, and painted the drilled areas with the green up top and under coating on bottom for longer protection. Once I mounted the brackets I used washers on the bottom for more surface area and used another nut up top on the ends to level the brackets. I then used a few peices of old innertube to help de-rattle the jack and make things a little more secure. Once all was mounted I under coated the fender again. I used a trigger lock that came with a gun for security and treated the lock with some anti sieze. Seems to be holding strong and rattle free. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Brent.Cain

Sorry no pix but I have changed the brakes on the rear to disk with the use of blue torch fab kit, tilt steering column, new tires "cooper AT3's", new inner and outer front fenders, power doors, electric delfi fuel pump, just got the alternators back from being rebuilt, new belts,

Sorry no pix but I have changed the brakes on the rear to disk with the use of blue torch fab kit, tilt steering column, new tires "cooper AT3's", new inner and outer front fenders, power doors, electric delfi fuel pump, just got the alternators back from being rebuilt, new belts,

How has that improved your braking power? As i have the brackets,( havent pulled trigger on getting the rotors and elorado calipers...) but debating if i will have to get a new proportioning valve as well....

re centered my steering wheel, touched up a few paint areas and attempted to mount my tow chain to the rear schakles, only to realize my quick link was far to big. also cut a whole in the ac vent dash area for my cb radio to sit. fabbed up a little mount for the radio and bolted it in. oh also cut some stencils and painted it up.

Attachments

twlinks

re centered my steering wheel, touched up a few paint areas and attempted to mount my tow chain to the rear schakles, only to realize my quick link was far to big. also cut a whole in the ac vent dash area for my cb radio to sit. fabbed up a little mount for the radio and bolted it in. oh also cut some stencils and painted it up.
Haha...wth are you wearing on your feet in pic 2???

got an old surplus axe and knocked off some rust, re sharpened and painted O.D. Be the blazers first piece of pioneer gear. Anyone know of any good mounts for that kinda stuff?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a Brand new OD green Super Maxx pioneer kit today for hardly nothing:jumpin:, Looking for a place to mount it as well.... thinking of Driver side rear over wheel hump on my M1009..
Sounds like a good spot to me. It'll tuck right in there between the fuel can and the truck side. Good find! You wouldn't happen to know if there are any more of those good deals out there would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.