• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXTAC

Have done the following over the last week or so:

replaced front leaf springs (now slightly smiling and not frowning)
replaced steering gearbox
replaced front u-joints
replaced sway bar bushings
replaced eye bushings
replaced leaf spring U-bolts
replaced spindle seals
replaced grease seals
inspected, cleaned and lubed front and rear brakes (fronts have a couple months left on them)
had a custom, not a rack, alignment done
changed oil and lastly
Ordered and received my new rear floor pans.

Almost time to hit the rattle cans and give Mongo a "custom" camo job. Mostly to hide some of the surface rust that is getting out of control!!

Tha'ts it for now! Time to drive!!!

JSF01

I replaced a wheel stud and and nut so I can pass VA's vehicle inspection. It was one of the four things that i failed on. the other things are a head light has moisture in it, which I'll replace tommorrow, the passenger side marker light lense is cracked, so I am awaiting a new one that I ordered, and the stupid orange needle for the gear shift indicator (not sure what it is actually called) broke. well the needle is fine but I am guessing by the looks of it there was a plastic guid that broke for the wire. If some one does not mind could some one post a picture of how the whole thing is suppose to look like. I am going to have to think of a way to rig it to make it work.

True Knight

I replaced a wheel stud and and nut so I can pass VA's vehicle inspection. It was one of the four things that i failed on. the other things are a head light has moisture in it, which I'll replace tommorrow, the passenger side marker light lense is cracked, so I am awaiting a new one that I ordered, and the stupid orange needle for the gear shift indicator (not sure what it is actually called) broke. well the needle is fine but I am guessing by the looks of it there was a plastic guid that broke for the wire. If some one does not mind could some one post a picture of how the whole thing is suppose to look like. I am going to have to think of a way to rig it to make it work.
Wow, and I thought California was bad...

hunderliggur

Vehicles registered as "historic" in Maryland are exempt from inspection. Not that mine would not pass, but they may abject to the antenna mount "someone could get hurt".

willey10

I had an oil leak since I put my cylinder head back on a few weeks ago,the leak got worse so I pressure washed the engine stated my way in and low and behold the gasket didn't make it to it's proper place, an easy fix this time !! Plus my yard is getting green this spring !! OD Green that is !!

Attachments

Last edited:

JSF01

Wow, and I thought California was bad...
Its not to bad all things considering. $30 worth of parts (well $40 since if I am going to replace one headlight I figure why not replace the other.) and my tuck will pass inspection, besides that needle problem. I am thinking that if i just glue a piece of plastic to act as a guied for the wire it will hopefully fix the problem.

Well.. after much planning and research, and $ in parts so far. It was time to replace the 4th Broken Steering gear box.. upon removal, had found frame was cracked.. ( Lower Left bolt hole.) Ordered and installed ORD Frame repair/upgrade kit. Once wleded, primed and painted. began reinstallation of new REDNECK Ram modified Steering gearbox. Changed bolts to Grade 8 and washers. Installed power steering lines, and the Hydro Assist lines. had to stop, Will have to make trip to Metal shop for some 1/4" plate Steel to make extra long tabs to mount ram on tube. Once installed, All is left is to push hubs to lock tack weld other side of Ram to high Steer Draglink. and test for clearance. Once everything is good, remove ram and buzz in the tabs. prime, paint, reinstall ram.. connect lines.. and begin the fun, fun task of purging Air from the power steering system.

Attachments

bshupe

I had some time to play a little today. Installed a new 2m mobile radio and antenna. Cleaned up and adjusted the cab doors so they open and close smoothly now and dont flop half open when you go around a corner and lean on the door.

chevyCUCV

Today my truck shifted from 1 gear to 3rd gear. By the time i realized what happened, it was downshifting into 2nd gear.

Checked my trans fluid and it was barely above the twist at the end of the stick. Added almost 2 quarts to get it up to proper level:shock:

I think that is the cause of my decorated driveway, believe the cooler lines are almost done.

Matt65

I think that is the cause of my decorated driveway, believe the cooler lines are almost done.
I had a huge leak near the radiator that left me roadside one night with a huge white cloud of smoke trailing. Luckily it didn't catch fire and I had plenty of fluid, and could show the leak enough to make it home. I ended up making my own lines from a coil of tubing from summitracing.com

chevyCUCV

Ya mine is at the trans, i didnt have time to snug the lines again, maybe they will be loose like they were before.
I could fix it, or put in the sm465 i have in my yard... choices choices

rwoods

Looks good, do you have a lift on that or just bigger because of the increased tire size?
It has been lifted by a prior owner. Appears to be a 4" to 6" Rough Country lift. Personally I wish it was about 2" lower, but I don't know how to do it on the cheap without affecting my load rating (rear would be easy, but front???).

Ron

chief1983

New d-hook tow strap, and a Smittybilt Jeep MOLLE-style seat cover in OD. Went on easily enough, finding locations for the lower elastic strap hooks was the tricky part. The seat is kept in the fold of the chair via a velcro strap that goes through from the front of the seat to the back and attaches at the base of the back. Also, not pictured, I mounted a universal CB mount on the front of the center console, it seems like it should barely be enough room to mount a big Uniden CB without it getting in the way of the shifter or cupholders.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.