• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleJay

re: What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Well I finally got around to Duralining the interior. It was my first time using a DIY bedliner. It wasn't too bad. I ended up barely using the roller, instead I used the paint brush for most of it. Here are some before and after pictures.
Hello ARYankee,

I would like to do the same thing, but what brand liner did you use,
where did you find it, and how much was it for enough to do the entire floor,
front to back?

Thank you, good day,

ryan77

Hello ARYankee,

I would like to do the same thing, but what brand liner did you use,
where did you find it, and how much was it for enough to do the entire floor,
front to back?

Thank you, good day,
I did mine with the herculiner kit and one kit did the whole truck! It was $79.00 dollars and had a $20.00 mail in rebate at Farm and Fleet.

dirtroadoutlaw

X2 on the hurculiner with one minor exception but that, solely, is based on personal taste and the level of abuse that the finished surface will be exposed to. It is too thin if applied as directed. I have a gallon on my floor pans from in front of the back seat forward.... I will be spraying the back portion with my undercoating gun. Also, it does not adhere to bare metal very strongly at all so primer is necessary on bare metal.

ARYankee

jeffhuey1n, Thank you. I did the floor from front to back. Prep work depends on how you want to do it. I didn't tape anything off so in some spots it looks like my 3 year old daughter painted it which by the way she actually did some painting but not those spots :) For me I just ripped out the rubber lining along with the insulating mat. I hit the passenger & driver sides front with a sander and wire wheel to get the bad rust spots. I had to vacuum and wash it out several times due to all the sand in it. I didn't do any prepping to the back or tailgate because it was already scuffed up good.

Cyclejay, It just depends on how much you want to spend. I bought the Duraliner from Autozone just because it was a kit that came with a brush, pan, stirring stick, and roller. I bought an extra pint which I didn't use. The one gallon did the whole interior flooring. What I did was a somewhat thin first coat, then a second coat. Now in the areas with high traffic I really layed it on thick for the second coat. It just depends on how thick you want it. With it being my first attempt I tried to follow the directions somewhat. I rarely used the roller though. I will be using this on the floors in the deuces along with the side steps and areas that you step on the bumper and fenders.

CycleJay

Hello ARYankee,

Thanks for the tip.
I called my local autozone, and I cannot get the duraliner kit. (They do not have it..)
But I can get the Dupli-color/1 gal. black bed armor with Kevlar, for about $99.00.
Part #: BAK2010

So when I am ready, I think I will go with that.

Now I am just wondering what the best way to clean the floor front to back,
of dirt, grime, etc.

But I read your description, and I will try it that way.
Then paint it myself, since I do not have access to 3 year old child slave labor (LOL, kidding).
But since I would like it done right, I will do it myself, and leave our kids out of it.

Thank you for the information, Good day, Happy Memorial weekend.

SRB1976

Removed the instrument cluster, replaced all the bulbs. Installed a new speedometer cable. Got the blackout lights/service lights working. Cleaned the fusebox and replaced all the fuses and changed the oil and filter. It's been a busy day!:shock:

ARYankee

Hello ARYankee,

Thanks for the tip.
I called my local autozone, and I cannot get the duraliner kit. (They do not have it..)
But I can get the Dupli-color/1 gal. black bed armor with Kevlar, for about $99.00.
Part #: BAK2010

So when I am ready, I think I will go with that.

Now I am just wondering what the best way to clean the floor front to back,
of dirt, grime, etc.

But I read your description, and I will try it that way.
Then paint it myself, since I do not have access to 3 year old child slave labor (LOL, kidding).
But since I would like it done right, I will do it myself, and leave our kids out of it.

Thank you for the information, Good day, Happy Memorial weekend.

Yeah that is what I used, Dupli-color. I have no idea why I keep calling it Duraliner.
As far as cleaning out the dirt and debris, I used my water hose and just hosed it out real good. I would park it on a slight incline and spray toward the back. Well that was after I used my shop vac to get the big stuff.
Now it really isn't child labor, well we call it "chores" :) I got all the kids involved when it came time to clean it out. They had a big bucket and each one had a brush :) I like to think of it as using what "resources" I have available. rofl Plus they really like helping me out so we get to spend some quality time together.

Good luck and if you need any pointers or help, I'll do what I can to assist.

Dave87

My weekend started out by swapping my GM-3 Turbo to the GM-8 Turbo. Then spent the next day hooking up my home made manual vacuum boost controller, works great and looks factory ish. Its fully adjustable. Replaced the vacuum pump after discovered that at idle I only have 3 inches. Also put a bigger air cleaner on.

CycleJay

ARYankee,,

Thank you for all the information and advice..

It all has been duly noted and considered..

If I have any more questions, etc... for you, then I will contact you.

Good day,

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I found out on friday that the chinese starter died, and took the starter relay and some wiring with it.:mad: Changed it out for an american gear reduction starter that evening in time for the parades that weekend.

Also finally found some grommets for my antenna and convoy light wiring, so I installed those, as well as the rear buss bar and some more wiring.

Attachments

RBA44

Today...just looked at her and investigated the issue of blowing the fuse each time I turn the fan on - any ideas! Over the past month or two I have re-done the brakes all the way around- new shoes/pads, drums; put in a new master cylinder; dropped the front diff to replace the leaking seal on the pass side wheel, replaced the yokes front and back on the drive shaft. Earlier this week the tailgate window was giving me grief so I took the panel off....what a mess. So now I'm looking for a new tailgate; the window mech. is falling apart and ultimately will not be able to get the window up and down . Looked into replacing the guts through LMC but will likely get to be a bigger job than I want - parts that work today will likely come apart during dis-assembly. Any one parting out their old 1009?

Draco-87

Got the solargizer on, just need to clean up the wiring. And got the 700r4 in the cucv. MAN what a difference! I can now cruise the freeway and not have to worry about IEDing the motor. I,ll see about posting some pics of it.:driver:rofl

GreggVA

Changed my glow plug relay and battery terminal connectors to marine type with wingnut. Still diagnosing my intermittent starting issue where it does not like to start when I have run it and let it sit for about an hour. Transmission shuddering and non-shift to 3rd will be after that. Oh boy!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today...just looked at her and investigated the issue of blowing the fuse each time I turn the fan on - any ideas! Over the past month or two I have re-done the brakes all the way around- new shoes/pads, drums; put in a new master cylinder; dropped the front diff to replace the leaking seal on the pass side wheel, replaced the yokes front and back on the drive shaft. Earlier this week the tailgate window was giving me grief so I took the panel off....what a mess. So now I'm looking for a new tailgate; the window mech. is falling apart and ultimately will not be able to get the window up and down . Looked into replacing the guts through LMC but will likely get to be a bigger job than I want - parts that work today will likely come apart during dis-assembly. Any one parting out their old 1009?
Pull the fan out of the heater shroud. Same thing happened to the wifes car. The fan is either internally seized and shorted or something is blocking it from turning. Either way, too much juice is getting drawn and you'll never get a fuse to hold. Also, I completely removed the entire guts of the tailgate on my 1009. I cleaned and straighted everything. Put it all back together and it works better. The felt slides are shot and are binding the window. Once I replace them it should fix my problem. Opening up the panel and looking in can cause concern but it aint that bad. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.