• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, I'd had to remove a couple of injectors to extract swollen GPs and then the injectors looked OK. That was before I started running the truck on WMO mixture. Couple of months into using WMO the truck substantially lost the power, but having had problems with the clogging of IP return valve, I [FONT=&quot]attributed [/FONT] that to the failing IP.
If you have a clogged return valve on the IP of a 6.2. That commonly happens with diesel fuel as well. The EID ring basically decomposes and makes "coffee grinds" in the return valve plugging it up.

baddy3

If you have a clogged return valve on the IP of a 6.2. That commonly happens with diesel fuel as well. The EID ring basically decomposes and makes "coffee grinds" in the return valve plugging it up.
I knocked out the glass ball in the return valve two years ago and installed a small fuel filter to catch all "coffee grinds". I made over 15k miles with that setup, 10k on WMO, so definitely the injector clogging was due to WMO. It would be great if some of the guys, who run their trucks on WMO, removed a couple of injectors and checked them up... I'm really curious, maybe I might've done something wrong, WMO %, filtering, who knows???

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe I'm confused, but you seem to be contradicting yourself. The first quote said the IP return had the plugging problem. But now it ran for 15K miles?

IDI diesels are a lot more tolerant of "dirty" fuel by the injector/pintle design. The pintle actually moves in and out of the orifice. Something like my Dodge or Liberty with a pencil tip injector won't handle trash that well at all.

It's more of a discussion for the alternative fuels section. But I'd suspect improper filtering most likely.

SRB1976

Did the Doghead starter relay mod today. No more worrying about a stuck relay burning up my starter and wiring:shock:

Thanks Doghead:beer:

Last edited:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed fuel pump in M1028a1 (only took about 2 hours), changed driver fender and inner fender on new M1008 (took about 4 hours)

chevyCUCV

I knocked out the glass ball in the return valve two years ago and installed a small fuel filter to catch all "coffee grinds". I made over 15k miles with that setup, 10k on WMO, so definitely the injector clogging was due to WMO. It would be great if some of the guys, who run their trucks on WMO, removed a couple of injectors and checked them up... I'm really curious, maybe I might've done something wrong, WMO %, filtering, who knows???
I ran it for 4 or so tanks of over 50% wmo, even up to 100% Wmo. it was thinned with gas first, and filtered through 4 times.

Then i took it apart to do overhaul and found all my injectors looking like yours.

My camera is missing, but your pics are a match.

I am going to try running 50/50 and hope the injectors stay clean. Also i am looking into water mist injection in hopes it would clean them all the time

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well we have been humping like all he!! to get jeremyk5's k5 done in time for the haspin trip and we are getting down to the end of the list, a seven year build is nearing an end (thank god). Here's a preview. Its a 1976 k5 frame, 1978 k20 axles, cucv rear bumper, indy4x4fab shackle flip kit on the rear, 6.2 tuned na diesel, sm465 four speed, np205 t-case, a 4 inches of lift in the front and 5.5 in the back, four wheel disk brakes, 36'' super swopper,s with a land mine prof 3/16 thick tread plate floor from fire wall to tailgate.

All that's left is the exhaust, a rear drive shaft, replacing a driver side front caliper, a little wiring work, weld up the passenger side rear cab corner, and to put electric fans on the radiator.

Oh and paint it 686 tan.

Attachments

Last edited:

1StumpJumper

Got my M1008 tile & registration. I bought it in January, JUST got the SF97 last Thursday. They had sent it to the wrong address, then moved at a snails pace to get it to me.

Picked up a gear reduction starter, need to do the Doghead mod before I install it though.

jets1959

Got my M1008 tile & registration. I bought it in January, JUST got the SF97 last Thursday. They had sent it to the wrong address, then moved at a snails pace to get it to me.

Picked up a gear reduction starter, need to do the Doghead mod before I install it though.
Where are you at in Washington? Just finished replacing my wheel bearings, u joints, brakes, king pins, steering linkage etc on mine last year. Have a lot of tools and recent experience if you could use either.

True Knight

Well we have been humping like all he!! to get jeremyk5's k5 done in time for the haspin trip and we are getting down to the end of the list, a seven year build is nearing an end (thank god). Here's a preview. Its a 1976 k5 frame, 1978 k20 axles, cucv rear bumper, indy4x4fab shackle flip kit on the rear, 6.2 tuned na diesel, sm465 four speed, np205 t-case, a 4 inches of lift in the front and 5.5 in the back, four wheel disk brakes, 36'' super swopper,s with a land mine prof 3/16 thick tread plate floor from fire wall to tailgate.

All that's left is the exhaust, a rear drive shaft, replacing a driver side front caliper, a little wiring work, weld up the passenger side rear cab corner, and to put electric fans on the radiator.

Oh and paint it 686 tan.
Sounds awesome! I would like to see a few pics of that tread plate of possible.

1StumpJumper

Where are you at in Washington? Just finished replacing my wheel bearings, u joints, brakes, king pins, steering linkage etc on mine last year. Have a lot of tools and recent experience if you could use either.
Thanks for the offer! I am up in Bellingham giving all the hippies something to talk about. I will PM you comtact info.

jets1959

Thanks for the offer! I am up in Bellingham giving all the hippies something to talk about. I will PM you comtact info.
Good going on hippie control!!!! LOL glad to be of any assistance. As you already know this hobbie can be a little expensive, but you just have to have the proper tools to do the job right. I am currently working on setting my M1031 contact maintenance truck up to do the job it was intended to do. It will be the tail end Charlie in all our local convoys, to assist in any break downs. If you know of or learn of any special tools for any military vehicle please let me know and I will try to add it to my inventory. You are off to a good start with the Doghead mod. If you don't know the last time it was PM'd you need to do the wheel bearings. Mine were all bad and the last time it was done they didn't clean the bearings and just added more grease and filled the hubs so the bearings couldnt turn. The trans should shift by itself from first to second at about 15 mph indicated and from second to third at about 25 mph indicated. If it doesn't check for vaccuum leaks and the vaccuum from the pump. My hose were rotten and the pump was dried out. New pump and lines and in shifts so smooth.

Gave up on putting in my own window tint. Got the vent windows back in, but waiting on the different seals. Got my gauges installed. 3 temp gauges, oil pressure and volts in gauge pods above the dash. Waiting on a cheapo tach. I have to move the oil and trans temp sending units as they don't get enough fluid in the fittings I used at the radiator. Installed a trans cooler, second hand eebbaayy special. Waiting on a remote filter, also second hand eebbaayy, for the power steering. Got the new power steering pump in, huge improvement. Put in a clock, from a ford Ka, off eebbaayy as well. Got my interior back on the dash. Changed the injection timing a tad to make it quieter. Advanced the fuel a 6th. Sprayed my running and turn signal lenses w/ black tint to see how it looks, looks good. Second time was a charm, luckily the stuff removes w/ carb cleaner. Ordered a firebird steering wheel, all black and a bit smaller. Ordered pre-cut window tint to have installed, limo black on the rear and 20 percent on the doors. Ordered a rear window graphic for my business. Waiting on a few more parts to build an upgraded power distributuion / relay center for lighting, horns, auxiliary fuse-box's power. Still need to spend a little more time on my light wiring, as the headlights come on w/ the running lights. Not a big issue as it has to do w/ the controlling feed from the light switch to the relays.

donalloy1

Finished adjusting and tightening repaired power steering pump bracket. What a pain in A**! Readjust new belts and off to races. Anyone have a salvage PS Pimp Bracket for sale? DMLII sends...

natemccabe

Took the top off the 1009, then it stated to rain:sad: I also picked up a new air cleaner and resonator box, no more 6.2 drone for me. Should make the drive to Wasilla a little more bearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.