• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGTskully

New steering wheel, roadside flares mounted,

Changed the steering wheel for a little more style and comfort as this is my daily driver. Still need to change the center cap w a bowtie one. Mounted the roadside flare kit behind the Jerry can in the back.

Attachments

Last edited:

SGTskully

Sorry I havent been on much lately. I'll look and see if I can get you the Man & pt #. I found them on ebay. they fit great and are just the right size
TX
CHad

twlinks

Seat belt install with pics in my M1009

Well, this was about the easiest and cheapest upgrade/mod I've done on the M1009 so far. I bought a "rear" seat belt kit from member "humslr" for $24 plus shipping ($15). The reason I ordered the "rear" kit is because someone else said they had put them in a M1028 with bucket seats, so I figured I could make it work in the 1009.

It really could not have been much easier. I already have the interior pretty well gutted out, with rear seat and passenger bucket seat removed. I popped the covers off the mount points of the factory belt on passenger side, held up the new belt and couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work with some very slilght modifications.

The kit comes with a couple of heavy duty brackets and a slug of nuts and bolts...I used NONE of that. You can use all four existing bolts (3 on the carriage/ top/bottom of cab and the other on the floor, they all work. (You will need to drill out the carriage bolt hole to 1/2". This bolt is a #47 torx head.) You will also need to measure
the distance on the back of the carriage from the bolt hole to the tab and drill a new hole/slot for that tab to fit into. It's just like the original, only in a lower location. I didn't measure, I just bolted the carriage in and let the tab scribe a mark on the cab wall, drilled it out and it set in place perfectly.

I'm getting ready to paint the interior so the pictures don't show anything mounted tight. I will add fender washers probably when it is time to install it after painting.

These units are all black and to me they look perfectly fine the way they are so I'm leaving it that way.

Hope the pics and explanation helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

junkyardog

sorry to ask a question this way i dont know how to post a question . i have a 86 cucv 1008 pickup. 6.2 diesel. it sat about 2 years. i did get it going but when i shut it off and let it sit 1/2 hour or so it wont start.it ran like crap when i first started it but i dumped 5 gallons of good fuel and change the filter then it ran nice. i shut it off 1/2 hour later went to start it up about 1/2 hour after i shut it off and it wouldnt start. a sniff of either and it starts. 50,000 miles or so on the eng. runs good no smoke. do the glow plugs have to worlk in 90 degree weather. im not sure if they do. thank you and i truly am sorry about posting this way. mabey someone can help me with that also

True Knight

Sounds like the fuel filter base is leaking allowing air into the fuel system. Many people have fixed it by changing to a spin on type filter. Use the search to find the posts. And do not use staring fluid! It can and will cause instant engine death. Just a matter of luck that it hasn't so far...

I havent had my m1028 but 8 months and put maybe 15 miles on it i just drive it to take my daughter to our towns park to play.Well im allways playing around trying to find the best way to crank it up.Everybody knows all trucks aint the same and i found the best way not to crank it i killed the batts yesterday>:evil:.So what i did to my cucv today well since its sunday ill charge my batts tomarrow :cookoo:

GreggVA

Tried to install my new 2-3 accumulator pump so that I can put my transmission back together and maybe more the Oh-9 out of the driveway. Need a special tool of course!

Keith_J

Yesterday's sweat session was fixing small stuff on the M1031 SECM. I replaced the screws holding the vise jaw faces, the holes were rusty so I ran a 1/4"x20 tap into the holes.

I thought the 100 PSI cut-out on the compressor was a bit low so after verifying the gauge worked and the pressure relief valve will trip, I adjusted the set point on the switch to 125 PSI. The storage tank is good for at least 200 PSI per the current ASME pressure vessel code.

The transmission vacuum lines were leaking, easy fix with new hose.

Found a bunch of #8 machine screws, split lock washers and nuts under the seat. Nice find, many are corroded on the box so I have a use.

The coolant expansion tank was a bit low so I topped it off with distilled water.

twlinks

My brake lights quit working. Cleaned fuse block and installed new fuse...new bulbs...still nothing for brake lights. Flashers worked, turn signals worked so I knew there was juice getting back there. Finally pulled the "commutator/acuator" at the brake pedal and replaced it...HOORAY, I have brake lights again. Still don't have tail/parking lights though. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

a68cudas

replaceing 6.2 with remanufactured 6.5

Have a buddy whose a diesel mechanic and replaceing the 6.2 with a 6.5 remanufactured engine from a hummer cant wait to get back. as soon as its done getting body work done on some rust spots cutting out old and replacing with new metal then painting will post pics when done

chevyCUCV

Truck almost died today!
Cruising down the highway lost all power, truck barely would do 55, 45 up hills. I felt very unsafe. Was nearly 30 miles from home, on the way to meet up for a cl deal. Made it there, and got to work pumping out a heating oil tank, loaded my truck and headed home. Ran great for 10 miles or so before it started again. Pulled over, checked for leaks, drips, air, didnt find anything. I got it to stall by revving it in park, when the revs came down it shut off.
Made for the worst ride ever in my cucv!:(
Expect a fuel issue, either LP, Filter(not that old) or a collapsed line(one from filter to IP), just have not had time yet to repair. Work tomorrow so no truck for a day or 2

okconcealed

1986 M1009
Past few weeks:
New battery
New fuel pump (pain in the butt)
50 cal ammo can tool box back
Dash mounted accessory plug

This weekend.....so far:
Receiver hitch (also a pain)
20mm ammo can console. (still have to pick up cup holders)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342828915.065236.jpg

soldierman79

Fixed Alt.

Thanks to the collective knowledge from the experienced professionals here and a few parts from CUCV Electric, I just rebuilt my alternator in my M1009 and now my GEN 2 light now illuminates! :)
Thanks y'all!

I'm all about the little victories!

Keith_J

Today was cleaning time. Took the floor mat and pad out along with sill plates and transfer case boot/bezel. The mat had a few tears, I buffed the back side around the tears, then applied contact cement and once dry, affixed rubber sheet patches, also coated with dry contact cement.

I cleaned the top side after the repair, waiting on the pat to dry as it had some spots wet with antifreeze.

The floors got a good cleaning, mostly sand and dust. The floor looks great, nearly new.

Glass, dash and gauges are now clean too.

Red_506

Truck almost died today!
Cruising down the highway lost all power, truck barely would do 55, 45 up hills. I felt very unsafe. Was nearly 30 miles from home, on the way to meet up for a cl deal. Made it there, and got to work pumping out a heating oil tank, loaded my truck and headed home. Ran great for 10 miles or so before it started again. Pulled over, checked for leaks, drips, air, didnt find anything. I got it to stall by revving it in park, when the revs came down it shut off.
Made for the worst ride ever in my cucv!:(
Expect a fuel issue, either LP, Filter(not that old) or a collapsed line(one from filter to IP), just have not had time yet to repair. Work tomorrow so no truck for a day or 2
Might be the IP. Possibly the check valve going into the top of the IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks