• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been busy... completely redesigning\fabbing new transfercase crossmember.. i have the 203/205 doubler instead of the ole NP208.. original setup was running 2 factory crosmembers.. but still gave to much flex while in double low... so much so.. it would rock and the floorpan would hit shifter linkage and knock it out of gear.. using .25 wall 2x2 sq tubing... making it so it will sit up further, gaining 2-3" of ground clearance and fully protecting the transfercases... this will be SWEET... muahahahahahahaha......:jumpin:

Skinny

About to tear into the IP for new throttle shaft seals.

Just finishing up rebuilding GEN2. Pulled the main bearing out, turned out to be a FAG which was made in Canada. Could have swore FAG was German bearings used on European vehicles (VW, Audi, Porsche, etc.) and that my US truck has Canadian internals...weird:shock:

Thanks CUCV electric for another great rebuild kit!!!

joediveguy

Safari Rack

I just got done mounting 1/8 steel decking on my M116A2 for my new MEP002 that I pick up from GL on Tuesday! Still have some minor things to do to it like mount the lights and license plate but that should not take too long.
Also…..Finally had some help and got my Safari Rack mounted! I think it looks sick!

Attachments

Rotis

I've been wanting to put a rack on my M1009 like that since the day I brought it home! tell me your secrets! they'll be safe with me! lol.. where did you find that/ where can i get one!! I wouldn't have to put bloody deer in the back of my rig anymore

Last edited:

KevinPD

What have I done to my truck lately.......

In process of fabbing mounts for my 10 k winch to go above the front shackles so I can still have them in place with the winch I got from a "New-to-You" store near Concord Nh(about 30 mins from where I live in Manch.). If I do it right my antique plate "OL IRON"(no space) will still be visible. Using 1/8ths steel 1.5 x 3 angle lron for the intemediate & 3/8ths 3 x 3 angle for the main mounts that the cross bar also wiil go on. previously had tranny rebuilt in May, have to do the ball joint and steering joints due to alot of sqeaking.
Also found some real nice leather power seate from a '99 Suburban that will fit on the "stock" rear mounts with some bench/bucket sliders out od a pair of donor 94 & 96 RAM trucks, just have some cuttin' n grindin' to do on the mounts on the searts and the brackets. The power supply won't be to hard, I have a full fuse panel from a loaded Suburban from a junkyard up in Laconia I got this past spring that has the aux. wires to clip into the feed spots on my current fuse panel. Eventually that may get changed over when i have another vehicle to drive while "Ol' Iron" is being worked on...

Draco-87

took the 1009 out to stretch her legs and see how the 700r4 does, We had a little cucv convoy up to glennville for lunch. Only problem was marcs 1009 battery hold down top lost the bolts and the + battery cable tried to melt through the metal. All in all, a good day. The tranny didnt skip a beat! We also found a 1 1/2 ton chevy, looked to be in good shape! and an old dodge power wagon. In one of the pics it looks to me to be an old Harley 40,s or 50,s trike!

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Had the windows tinted today all of them for $300.00 out the door! Being a white irish/german i was cooking in it!View attachment 333996
Ryan,

That's not the CUCV I picked up for you??

If so, what a change. I don't think I would get the heebee jeebees from that CUCV.

I still recall that white truck....I have nightmares about it. The only vehicle I had to run into the house stripping off clothes and running for the shower everytime I touched it. OH the horror.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got done mounting 1/8 steel decking on my M116A2 for my new MEP002 that I pick up from GL on Tuesday! Still have some minor things to do to it like mount the lights and license plate but that should not take too long.
Also…..Finally had some help and got my Safari Rack mounted! I think it looks sick!
Looks great, Joe! Same for the trailer, now we have to get that painted GREEN! :)

Keith_J

This weekend was de-rusting project. First, the hood had rust bloom through the thin CARC and even thinner e-coat. Then someone had covered the already rusting spots with brush paint, without much care. I stripped the brush paint, then sanded down the rusted spots and used Prep 'n' Etch (phosphoric acid) overnight to express any more e-coat failures. Sure enough, more sanding in the morning as large areas of e-coat lifted. Primed with Rustoleum red and then a mist coat of their camo green.

The rest of the de-rusting was replacing of all #8 phillips head screws on the M1031 box that had rusted. 28 in all, I found replacements under the seat so it was a free material restore.

I LOVE THE ROOF RACK SET UP! I have been planning on the same thing on my 09 using my cut down HMMWV gypsy rack.

joediveguy

I've been wanting to put a rack on my M1009 like that since the day I brought it home! tell me your secrets! they'll be safe with me! lol.. where did you find that/ where can i get one!! I wouldn't have to put bloody deer in the back of my rig anymore
I designed it, (in my head) and had a buddy fab it up for me. Mounted it on 1/4 inch steel brackets bolted, through the top, to the bed rail. It raised the top a bit but I am going to fill the space with hard rubber to seal it. It is very sturdy. Still have some tweaks to make to it. I will be adding a thread about my adventures with it soon as I get a chance.

Dave87

Was on my way to the gas station to get fuel and run out at the pump. Lucky day I guess. Found the bottom of the tank, that wont happen again. Run alittle funny for about three minutes (air in lines) but was great after that.

ARYankee

Well my progress so far is:
Installed heater core and blower purchased from a fellow member.
Performed Doghead starter relay mod.
Installed new Duraterm glow plugs.

It has been really tough to get time to work on it when it is 100 + degrees outside. Then when I would, it would start to rain, the few times we have actually had rain. I have realized that there will be an air conditioned shop in my future :)

Keith_J

This evening, I determined the flakey voltmeter is the volt meter itself. Bummer, that means a new VM is necessary.

The joy was identification of the passenger side kick panel leak. It was the internal fender gutter, dribbling down. I removed the vent panel, then fabricated an extended gutter from aluminum flashing. This I glued to the end of the gutter and fender with contact cement, then tried it out with the garden hose.

SUCCESS!!!! It just WORKS!!!:doghead:

Tomorrow, if the stars are properly aligned, I will get permanent license plates and a state title!!

It passed state inspection with flying colors, the inspector is a former motor pool sergeant in the Guard. Presenting a CLEAN vehicle sure speeds the process :jumpin:

ARYankee

The joy was identification of the passenger side kick panel leak. It was the internal fender gutter, dribbling down. I removed the vent panel, then fabricated an extended gutter from aluminum flashing. This I glued to the end of the gutter and fender with contact cement, then tried it out with the garden hose.

SUCCESS!!!! It just WORKS!!!:doghead:

You don't happen to have pictures of this? I've noticed when it has rained here that I have a leak up front by the side vents. I just haven't taken the time to see exactly where it is coming from.

Keith_J

I'll have to write up a procedure for this modification. It isn't difficult, I used aluminum flashing available at any home improvement center and contact cement. You can cut this stuff with ordinary scissors, a few C-clamps and scrap wood will work to form it. I spent 5 minutes cutting and forming the metal. More time letting the contact cement dry.

Just do it! It is all covered up by the vent panels, if it works yet looks like hammered manure, who cares? It it doesn't work, rip it out and redesign! To engineer is human.

trukhead

sorry to ask a question this way i dont know how to post a question . i have a 86 cucv 1008 pickup. 6.2 diesel. it sat about 2 years. i did get it going but when i shut it off and let it sit 1/2 hour or so it wont start.it ran like crap when i first started it but i dumped 5 gallons of good fuel and change the filter then it ran nice. i shut it off 1/2 hour later went to start it up about 1/2 hour after i shut it off and it wouldnt start. a sniff of either and it starts. 50,000 miles or so on the eng. runs good no smoke. do the glow plugs have to worlk in 90 degree weather. im not sure if they do. thank you and i truly am sorry about posting this way. mabey someone can help me with that also
DSCF0369.jpgDSCF0372.jpgDSCF0371.jpg

I use this stuff for firing recalcitrant 6.2 engines. Either and 6.2 is bad bad bad, It busts them up.

You can go to their website and find out where they sell it local to you.

Yes the glow plugs work in all temperatures.

If your worried about your posts, why worry but if you want to work on skills this site is fun:

Transitive and Intransitive Verbs

It has every thing you ever wanted to know about grammer and then some:grin:

To keep in the theme of this thread, here's what I'm doing to my CUCV in the future:
cold start issue
fuel injectors
tidy up a roscoman conversion
maybe install a snowplow
install a rustfree body
a bunch of other stuff if I live long enough

This is what we did today:

DSCF0393.jpg DSCF0394.jpg

:doghead:

tankie88

Well,all me parts have arrived........Complete rear load bay floor(in 3 parts),the rear body cross member(where the tailgate bolts into) and the fuel filler cover(inside).Guess what...the only part not made in Taiwan is the filler cover.That was a gen GM part.Soon be time to get the welder out:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks