• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleJay

Erniemigi,

Hello,

Okay, I gotcha. Duly noted. Seems to make perfect sense then.
Wish I could use my entire cargo area, but I need the bench seat for the kids.

scottladdy

This is all recent:
Cleaned all the under hood electrical contacts on my M1008 and M1009.
Straightened the TC cross member (forklift damage) on M1008. Used a hydraulic shop press (12 ton) and a "great persuader" (8 lb. sledge with member laid across two wood rounds and blows cushioned by a 2x4). It is now as straight as factory.
Replaced T-Case mounts with RockAuto parts. Bolted right in. Both trucks.
Replaced door hinge pins and bushings on M1008.
Realigned same door (had to remove hood and fenders). Closes with a breath now (well, almost:razz:).
Unstuck rear brakes M1008.
Compression tested both trucks. Engines are tight.
Replaced rear diff oil on M1008. Used Mobil 1. Gonna do the other 3 this weekend.
Straightened out PO's electrical to my standards M1008. (Not a bad job by PO, I am just very anal with wiring).
Routed fender antenna cable through firewall to shorten the run and improve the reception.
Replaced all bad vacuum tubing on both trucks.
Replaced steering damper both trucks.

Next up:
Removing forklift dents from rear bed (done) and drivers side door (nearly done) on M1008.

More to come.

If anyone wants to know what procedures I used to complete any of these repairs and/or wants to know what parts I used, and you've checked the TM's, and you've searched the posts, please just ask.

Best regards to all.

SGT LongT

Attachments

BEEMERTEK

Hey guys, i'm a newbie and have to say this is a great site, purchased an 85 cucv and so far have replaced the batteries, belts ,hoses rhino lined floor boards, installed discovery 32-11.50-15 tires, windshield and door seals
winch and other goodies coming soon!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stupid question, but does anyone make rear LED brake light housings for the CUCV? I did a search on SS and online and the only ones I found for Blazers start at year 1989 or so.

zaxcucv

Installed ORD Steering box brace, fixed power locks ( yep, you read that right, don't ask...), did some mouse abatement, then did a bit of wheelin'. Thing does real well offroad...all the jeep guys want to see how it's gonna do. One of the guys in front of me said "it looks like a menacing black beast is coming up over the rocks behind me...that thing is intimidating!". Can't wait to install the turbo I bought...fall project.

scottladdy

Installed Monroe Gas Magnums on all four corners of both M1009 and M1008. No test drive yet (started to rain), so I will report on ride quality later. Both trucks had original shocks and steering dampers. Shot does not begin to describe how bad the originals were.

howardc

Put my instrument panel back in, after new light bulbs and a newish shift indicator. While it was out I figured I might as well try to fix the volt gauge, turns out whoever "fixed" it before me wired it wrong. Corrected the problem and it works fine now. Also fixed the problem of my tailgate not opening, and found the rear window handle in my glove box, installed and works great!

Not bad for a day's work.

wayne pick

Replaced broken power steering pump bracket for the third time in almost a year, and it's getting old. Good thing im hoarding them. Took me two months to find only two of them. They are as scarce as hens teeth.aua

jhyatt7

Installed a separate fuse box to run my CB and Radio. The Bad: my rear window roll up handle broke, ordered another one from classic truck parts.

scottladdy

Began flushing the cooling system on my M1009 after finishing work for the day. Going to replace all the hoses and clamps. Adding a Kat's engine block heater I got from NAPA. Seems like they are no longer carrying the Balkamp line. Part # is 11612.

SpecWarSquid

Starting stripping down my M1009 chassis with the help of my little helper. We got the hydro-boost, power steering, and steering box drained and removed as well as all the forward plumbing all stripped and tagged for ease of ID. So far we recovered 10 gallons of JP8 out of the fuel system and we had to stop as my 2 jugs were full :cool: Looking forward to next weekend.

Attachments

HighPlainsPrepper

Overhead PALS/MOLLE Compatible Rack

This weekend I crafted up an overhead rack out of aluminum angle and bar stock. I used 3/4" (1/8" thick) angle, 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar stock, about 36 rivets, my bench vise, hand drill, jigsaw, and RivNut tool. Primed with zinc chromate and painted with Rustoleum Truck Bed coating (I like it as it has a nice fine texture). Mounted up my CB (yet to be wired) and hung an ACU admin pouch to test it out. FYI the slats are 2" apart on center.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks