• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusOReallyus

Began flushing the cooling system on my M1009 after finishing work for the day. Going to replace all the hoses and clamps. Adding a Kat's engine block heater I got from NAPA. Seems like they are no longer carrying the Balkamp line. Part # is 11612.

Let us know how you like that - I've had my eye on one. :beer:

SpecWarSquid

@Mike68 ~ Thanks!!

@HighplainsPrepper ~ Nice, kinda like a MOLLE rack for vehicles. I dig it!!

@Cameron8757 ~ Can you give some specifics on your axle swap? For instance what year axles and any difficulties you ran into during the swap such as capatibility issues? I about to do the same thing on my 09. My axles are coming from a 79 suburban K20. I'm already suspecting their might be a compatibility issue with brake line fittings on the rea axle. I don't know know for sure.

Thx

cameron8757

I used axles out of a 92 suburban front axle was bolt in used the lifted springs out of the suburban. The rear springs on the suburban were too long so I used blocks and add a leafs. All the break lines worked had to change my rear u joint napa had the correct one everything else hooked right up.

HighPlainsPrepper

It was mostly a prototype, now I have an idea what I'm doing I'll be fabricating a center console. The civy plastic ones look good but aren't really that functional. A Metal box with holes, bars, brackets, and other goodness will be much more useful.

cshaw07

cleaned and repacked wheel bearings last night. found a tie rod end to be bad so ill be replacing that and getting it aligned tomorrow for the trip to VA this weekend.

photron

all that

Aside of the 12v conversion I did some time ago :

replaced flywheel
power steering pump and bracket
Starter bolt
starter bracket
new battery's
transmission service
turn signal switch
power steering belt
alternator belt
replaces glow plug

Had it all done for $1800.00 not too bad . Total overall investment in truck , including purchase $4500

Runs like a champ ...Love it!

stranger75

@SpecWarSquid I also have a pair of 3/4 ton axles that came from a '79 K20. I've been wondering what compatibility issues I might run into, namely brake lines. I still have several parts to collect before I swap them under my 1009, and won't likely be getting around to it until a few months from now. If you find anything out, please post about it. Thanks!

SpecWarSquid

Roger that, Will do. I plan to have the swap done before winter gets here.

@SpecWarSquid I also have a pair of 3/4 ton axles that came from a '79 K20. I've been wondering what compatibility issues I might run into, namely brake lines. I still have several parts to collect before I swap them under my 1009, and won't likely be getting around to it until a few months from now. If you find anything out, please post about it. Thanks!

scottladdy

Just finished replacing all the heater and radiator hoses on my M1009, after flushing the cooling system. Replaced the thermostat and gasket. Installed the Kat's engine block heater #11612. Installed really easy.

scottladdy

This weekend I crafted up an overhead rack out of aluminum angle and bar stock. I used 3/4" (1/8" thick) angle, 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar stock, about 36 rivets, my bench vise, hand drill, jigsaw, and RivNut tool. Primed with zinc chromate and painted with Rustoleum Truck Bed coating (I like it as it has a nice fine texture). Mounted up my CB (yet to be wired) and hung an ACU admin pouch to test it out. FYI the slats are 2" apart on center.
How did you mount this to the roof of the truck?

I've done a little...

Well here's the LONG list of what I've done to my M1009 this week:

Replaced radiator,
installed oil cooler,
installed transmission fluid cooler,
replaced driveshaft with a Spicer CV driveshaft with bigger U-Joints,
rebuilt transmission,
Replaced vacuum pump,
made and installed ammo can center console with a 15amp lighted 6-switch breaker from West Marine,
re-wired all my roof rack lights,
installed PA speaker for my CB radio,
fluid flush for my transfer case,
fluid flush for my rear diff.

... 72 beers later... It's been a busy week!

K9Vic

Replaced the sealed headlights with headlight housings that use new H4 bulbs. Purchased the headlight housings with bulbs from a vendor on Amazon. 83-94 CHEVROLET Blazer Full size Square Diamond Cut Headlight Conversion Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

The housings are plastic so I doubt I can retrofit them for HID if I choose that route in the future. The housings also have a separate light below the H4 bulb for a daytime running light that I have not wired in yet.
Did you install the headlight relay harness? You will overload your fuse if you did not with that much amperage. The system is not well designed for the stock factory system, adding H4 headlights requires the harness to take the load off of the fuse panel. You said this is plastic, they make a better glass one for not that much more. I would worry that those will not yellow over time being plastic. The ones I have in all of my CUCV are the glass ones from LMC Truck.

Adding HID lights is illegal on any vehicle that did not have them from the factory. You can only add HID light on a vehicle after original purchase that had that option from the factory and only that original complete factory OEM part. The H4 halogen bulb is plenty bright enough over the sealed beam.

SGT LongT

Did you install the headlight relay harness? You will overload your fuse if you did not with that much amperage. The system is not well designed for the stock factory system, adding H4 headlights requires the harness to take the load off of the fuse panel. You said this is plastic, they make a better glass one for not that much more. I would worry that those will not yellow over time being plastic. The ones I have in all of my CUCV are the glass ones from LMC Truck.

Adding HID lights is illegal on any vehicle that did not have them from the factory. You can only add HID light on a vehicle after original purchase that had that option from the factory and only that original complete factory OEM part. The H4 halogen bulb is plenty bright enough over the sealed beam.
Thanks for the info. Now I know the difference in price between LMC and Amazon is that LMC is glass. I will definitely be installing the Headlight Relay Harness now. The HID idea was for retrofitting some off road lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks