• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith_J

Replaced the glow plug relay this evening. I think the old one burned out after I did the resistor bypass. The truck was harder than **** to start this morning and the wait light seems like it stayed on forever. I used a Carquest relay #56-2432 I hope it's the right one. It does have an isolated ground.
Looks right. They do fail in the contacts. Too bad they are too hard to open up and clean because that is all that goes wrong if they still click. Did one last week. Thinking of keeping a spare in the Contact Truck.

scottladdy

Possible Glow Plug Failure

Replaced the glow plug relay this evening. I think the old one burned out after I did the resistor bypass. The truck was harder than **** to start this morning and the wait light seems like it stayed on forever. I used a Carquest relay #56-2432 I hope it's the right one. It does have an isolated ground.
If your wait light seems to be taking a lot longer, consider that the GP controller card will vary the wait time based on the load as well as the engine temperature. IIRC, this was to compensate for GP failure, increasing the time as more GP's fail based on current draw.

You may want to check your glow plugs to make sure they are still functioning and that they are all receiving current when the relay is active.

Vhyle

Well, today was pretty horrible. Sick as a dog, and I lost my keys during PT this morning. I searched the field 3 times, with help, and I couldn't find them. Either my PT clothes absorbed the keys into the next universe, they're lost in the car, or someone picked them up and didn't say anything. Luckily I have spares to our Pontiac and our house.

However, I don't have ignition key spares to the CUCV. ****it!

If they don't turn up, it looks like the CUCV is getting a new lock cylinder. :/

rsh4364

Hit 69K on odometer today,also lost qt. of oil in 3k miles with no visible leaks, installed new rear taillight lenses and frnt parking lights from LMC, they look great and really compliment the hella headlights installed earlier, ran out of daylight so didnt get frnt. sidemarkers in yet, need to paint over chrome trim on those anyhow ! gonna be off for 2 wks. for holidays so lots gonna get done..pwr steer. bracket,exhaust sys., u-joints,deep trans. pan.and maybe drop fuel tank and drain garbage out..Ahh the list goes on and on...now that 1-ton chimed in also need to replace rearend cover gasket...Then im ready for mud or snow, gotta get this thing stuck at least once !

Last edited:

CycleJay

I know of a guy in my town but I haven't met him yet. I already picked up the lock cylinder, just in case. If the keys show up, I'll just return it. If not, then the new cylinder goes in.
Hello Vhyle,

Then go meet him, and ask him if you two can go to a hardware store to make a set of keys for your CUCV.

If I was in your neighborhood, I would get a copy of mine for you.

Just my $0.02 cents...

SRB1976

If your wait light seems to be taking a lot longer, consider that the GP controller card will vary the wait time based on the load as well as the engine temperature. IIRC, this was to compensate for GP failure, increasing the time as more GP's fail based on current draw.

You may want to check your glow plugs to make sure they are still functioning and that they are all receiving current when the relay is active.
This stuff sure does pick the wrong time of the year to start going outaua Especially now that my M1009 is my daily driver.

Vhyle

Hello Vhyle,

Then go meet him, and ask him if you two can go to a hardware store to make a set of keys for your CUCV.

If I was in your neighborhood, I would get a copy of mine for you.

Just my $0.02 cents...
I talked to him earlier tonight. He changed out his ignition lock cylinder already, so it's not factory. Doh! But he is coming by to unlock my doors, since my spare door key is inside the truck.

This is how the day has been. Ugh.

Vhyle

I had a local CUCV contact come over yesterday and lo and behold - his door key unlocked my truck. Awesome. Not only that, the spare key inside the truck was an ignition key, not a door key, so I'm good there too. Key problem solved!

Also, I fixed the threads on the alternator rotor and finally got it back together. The special M18x1.25 die I ordered hasn't even shipped yet, and I simply couldn't wait around on it another week or however long it would take, so I borrowed a friend's thread file and fixed the threads that way. The nut was salvageable, so I managed to get it threaded back on there and tight. So now, that rebuilt alternator has fantastic output. But the other one isn't doing so well, so it looks like I'll have to rebuild number two. No biggie. Next payday, I'll be ordering another rebuild kit, and we'll be good to go. I know exactly what NOT to do this time, hah!

It was very satisfying to drive the beast again.

dc9137

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

I learned the hard way that the fender wells from a 1009 are in fact NOT the exact same as a 1028.

I had a local CUCV contact come over yesterday and lo and behold - his door key unlocked my truck. Awesome. Not only that, the spare key inside the truck was an ignition key, not a door key, so I'm good there too. Key problem solved!
One key originally fit all of these trucks and the door key cut is the same as the ignition. I bought a bunch of extra keys already cut from eBay so I have plenty of extras just in case.

Vhyle

One key originally fit all of these trucks and the door key cut is the same as the ignition. I bought a bunch of extra keys already cut from eBay so I have plenty of extras just in case.
That's what I understand. I tried my ignition key in the doors and it didn't seem to work, so I'm wondering if the cylinder was changed out before. Either way, I have keys now, so we're good nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks