• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In lieu of starting a whole thread for a hopefully simple question....

My M1009 seems to be sitting a little low in the back. I'm not interested in putting a lift on it, and I really don't want to dump a ton of money into new springs, so I need a cheap way of getting the back-end up to level the truck. I could get some air-shocks or spring shocks, but the ride is good as it sits. So this is purely ascetics- I want it to sit level when it's on level ground.

Looking at the picture attached, can I simply pull those two bolts out and move the leaf down, discarding the link? Would that lift the back an inch or two to make the truck sit level?
Springs.jpg

Picture to show how it seems to sit low in the back:

CUCV08.jpg

Last edited:

wayne pick

No! You need the shackle to move as the springs compress and return to a neutral position. It also provides the suspension some flex when going over uneven surfaces. You probably won't be able to bolt it up that way anyway. If your springs are tired, new ones are really not that expensive, and you can do it yourself in less than a day.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No! You need the shackle to move as the springs compress and return to a neutral position. It also provides the suspension some flex when going over uneven surfaces. You probably won't be able to bolt it up that way anyway. If your springs are tired, new ones are really not that expensive, and you can do it yourself in less than a day.
OK thanks! I knew it really couldn't be that easy.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lightbar outfitted with HIDs, antennas for comm gear, and high tech locking gas cap.

still need to drill a hole for cable gland. still need to install traffic director, radios, and lighting controller, as well.

Tomorrow, tint goes on.
20130401_154307_zpsa06a6ed4.jpg20130401_154345_zps8c3a3686.jpg20130401_154829_zps77fce73b.jpg

Last edited:

06TBSS

Switched pintle mounts to the 1008 donor piece I had. Generic receiver welded(peanut butter welds by freinds coworker - not me!) on. I hit it w black paint before I threw it together. Now able to haul the bike rack to BMX track/trails leave rear window/gate alone.

IMAG1280.jpg
IMAG1284.jpg
IMAG1282.jpg
IMAG1281.jpg
IMAG1290.jpg
IMAG1283.jpg
It was a pita getting the rusty/sketchy bolts out(2-3 broke off) as prev owner was using it as a mud slut and washing it 2-6 weeks later...luckily the 1008 donor bolts are better shape

Attachments

MarcusOReallyus

If your springs are tired, new ones are really not that expensive, and you can do it yourself in less than a day.
Yep. Once the springs sag, you have two choices. Replace them, or band-aid the problem.

Re-arching is a band-aid, but at least it's not likely to harm your vehicle. Compensating for bad springs with shocks puts more stress on the shock mounts than they were designed for, which, over time, tends to break things.

scottladdy

Fixed the wiper motor on the M1008A1. They now park. Connections are nice and clean. Lubed up the internal mechanism. The wipers now run at "normal" speed.

Used the washer pump rebuild kit from Anco picked up on RockAuto. Works great. Need to change the filter on the end of the intake hose.

The whole job took about an hour, minus family interruptions.

Next up, I need 2 tilt columns from mid 80's trucks, in part to assist the wife in getting comfy behind the wheel, and also to get intermittent (pulse) wipers.

Vhyle

Painted the outline of the bowtie on my truck's grill. I used Chevy orange paint.

Next step is to paint the blackout and slave port black, so it matches the rest of the truck.

orange_bowtie.jpg

Vhyle

Replaced the fuel drainback tubing today. I used 1/8 tygon from a local hardware store. $5 for 5 feet of it. Done deal.

new_fuel_tubing.jpg

And another thing I did today... Ebenezer has gone topless!
topless.jpg

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Painted my grill and headlight housings OD using rattle can, looks awesome. Added a small air horn, also sounds awesome. Today is full of awesome for the CUCV

2HIJOS2126

Awesome and CUCV go hand in hand... Im in the process of sketching out how I want to do my tube doors... I want them to look *awesome* and totally different from anyone else...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the richingalveston bracket set-up to mount the landing lights on the grill. I didn't weld the brackets though, since I don't have a welder (or the mad skilz to use it), but they're on securely.

I would have had them wired if any one store stocked all the connectors I needed.

LandingLights01.jpgLandingLights02.jpg

forest522

Installed a class III hitch locally, did the wiring myself then went straight out to rent a trailer and haul 5 yards a gravel and mulch to the yard...

DSCF2337.jpg

I removed the pintle hitch awhile ago. Earlier in its life it was hit pretty hard, hard enough to bend it to the left and jamb up the rotating feature. It is off and waiting for overall. Til then, the license plate is in its place with lighted nuts to keep me legal!!

Continued CUCV project improvement and completed yard work - end day with very happy wife! Very important to future of CUCV project!

Status
Not open for further replies.