• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoJoPo

I just ran two sets of wires from each battery, through the firewall and into separate bus bars for 12v each. Much cheaper.
That will work fine, except you need to make sure the chassis is not grounded on anything that's powered from the 12V-24V rear battery, or it'll short the 12V front battery to ground.

I suppose you could draw 12V just fine for most uses off of the front battery. I'm probably just going to add an "engine running" / oil pressure switched relay to charge my RV marine batteries I'm placing in the rear. Hopefully the DUVAC will be able to keep up....

caladin

Doghead Relay - Went out to start my truck.. was dead in the water. This fixed it.

SF97 came in so I went to the DMV got my plates. DMV lady was very very nice. <Told me to put my rear seat back in our she would have to rate it a pickup and not a car> took me 5mins and I was back with my... car.

More bodywork on the rust... POR15 just came in

chevyCUCV

Replaced inner tie rods with Moog

Found out that they were not the source of slop in the steering, time for a new steering box

Pulled the trans and tcase out of my donor truck ready to rebuild them next

wrex

...DMV lady was very very nice. <Told me to put my rear seat back in our she would have to rate it a pickup and not a car> took me 5mins and I was back with my... car.

Wow. Cali has some really whacked out "laws". So does a Miata, Solstice, BMW Z and etc/ count as trucks? :p

southdave

CDR relocation,Radio, tilt install, Console with instrument cluster, battery relocation.. note the steering wheel upside down but I have intermittent wipers!!!
still have to put speakers in reinstall new/plod dash...

rjinga

I replaced the bushings and hinges pins on both doors of my '85 M1009 this weekend. Really makes a difference.

FYI - the hinge pins had a flange on the bottom, so I had to cut through them with a sawall. If they aren't case-harded steel, they are pretty darn close.

ryan77

Nice paint work man. Looks great.

Not to sound like a big ego but i was pretty impressed with my self, Its the third one ive done took me all day but it looks pretty good i think? All the rust i cut out and welding i got about 40 hrs in paint and body work. But i enjoy doing it!!! But thanks for the compliments i appreciate the feed back!!!!!

Added a 1 gallon windshield reservoir (actually the standard round jug you buy WW fluid in locally) with longer hose line - placed right against the radiator coolant reservoir. Also mounted a late 80's reservoir (with the pump built in) right beside that with the hose running to the stock washer nozzles. Then I mounted a pair of the newer wiper blade mounted nozzles and hoses etc to the output of the original pump - the holes in the firewall under the vent grill are there already. The new washer pump wiring will be the button on the end of the tilt column cruise control lever via a relay.

So now the smaller reservoir (still double the original size) feeds the wiper blades and the gallon jug feeds the stock nozzles. Should give a few options when in heavy mud etc.

The sliding switch on the cruise control will be run via relays to the IR driving lights I plan to mount (replacing the IR bulbs with 4" HID's (hopefully in the same housing. Will have to check to see if I can use the momentary part of that switch to control a pair of rear LED lights that can be used to signal thanks to truckers etc who let me pass instead of using the hazards.

How's that for optimism! Somehow I don't think it will get used much with 38" tires/4.63 gears and the planned Banks 6.2 setup unless I do something like an overdrive/transmission swap....

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new GEN2 alternator, put the dash back together, drove it around to charge the battery. Works great now.

Saw the GEN 1, GEN 2, and oil pressure lamp all light up when putting the key in the accessory position for the first time ever.

To do list -
Power Steering Hoses
New Tires
Kingpin Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.