• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinga

I made a frame to put my topper on. It is 2' high, 3' wide, and 4' deep. The white part is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe; the dark part is 3/4" metal pipe. I was originally going to use 2" PVC, but my local Home Depot didn't have 2" corner fittings. Also, the friendly associate who helped me told me that the frame could hold the weight if I used metal in the vertical braces. I'll find out tomorrow and report back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hightechken

Finally started to go through all the tools for the trucks, And put them away in proper places. Bigger job than I thought!
Also shop vac cleaned out all the toolbox compartments of both trucks.
Those compartments hold lots of stuff! Going to order another Victor torch knock off for the second truck so they will both be set up pretty much the same.

Attachments

rjinga

I made a frame to put my topper on.... [T]he friendly associate who helped me told me that the frame could hold the weight if I used metal in the vertical braces. I'll find out tomorrow and report back.
The cap is on the frame and it's holding it up. I realized yesterday, right after I built it, that I need diagonal bracing too. Back to Home Depot I guess.

wrex

Drove it from San Francisco to Kansas City last week, then on to Lexington, Ky. Thurs, back to KC then on to SF again on Saturday. Will be about 4800 miles total, after all done.

Nico

Stock M1008 rims I have M1008 axles
I install m1008 tailgate on my M1009 and working on the fastback top now and I got a cab curtain for the summer to keep the rain out (still need snaps to install it).
hi allen!
how does the 1008 tailgate fit? a lot to change?
i just bought a soft top and wonder if i could do the same without a big fuss.

rjinga

I realized yesterday, right after I built it, that I need diagonal bracing too. Back to Home Depot I guess.
Well, on further review, as my youngest son used to say: "I've changeded my mind." There isn't as much side-to-side flex as I thought there'd be after all. I'll keep a close eye on it during our next windy day, and see what happens.

AllenEM

hi allen!
how does the 1008 tailgate fit? a lot to change?
i just bought a soft top and wonder if i could do the same without a big fuss.
All you need is the hardware off the M1008 and remove the M1009 hardware bolts right up the bolt hole are already there.

jholler

I made a frame to put my topper on. It is 2' high, 3' wide, and 4' deep. The white part is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe; the dark part is 3/4" metal pipe. I was originally going to use 2" PVC, but my local Home Depot didn't have 2" corner fittings. Also, the friendly associate who helped me told me that the frame could hold the weight if I used metal in the vertical braces. I'll find out tomorrow and report back.

If I build one of those I can have my sawhorses back...hmm!

rjinga

Well, on further review, as my youngest son used to say: "I've changeded my mind." There isn't as much side-to-side flex as I thought there'd be after all. I'll keep a close eye on it during our next windy day, and see what happens.
We had a pretty good thunderstorm last night with a strong wind, and the frame withstood it.

Oldsouthernboy

I started on reinstalling my troop seats for the grand kids to ride in the truck back. I found that I did not have enough pins to go in the seats. A trip to tractor supply and the pin bin to find a replacement pins and cotter pins. Then the wife kindly told me that a state law does not allow any one under 15 to ride in the back of a pick up unless using a restaint system. dam now I have to find and install a whole wad of seat belts to take them fishing in the 1028. So much for a quick trip to the river bank.

jholler

I started on reinstalling my troop seats for the grand kids to ride in the truck back. I found that I did not have enough pins to go in the seats. A trip to tractor supply and the pin bin to find a replacement pins and cotter pins. Then the wife kindly told me that a state law does not allow any one under 15 to ride in the back of a pick up unless using a restaint system. dam now I have to find and install a whole wad of seat belts to take them fishing in the 1028. So much for a quick trip to the river bank.​
In the Guard, a "troop strap" across the tailgate area qualifies as a restraint...maybe that would get you grandfathered in same as if the vehicle isn't built with seatbelts? It IS the originally designed safety equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks