• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Keith_J

Popped the cover off the SECM generator main connection box to see if I can make some magic happen. Magic like reconnection to produce 120/240 split phase when needed.

It will fit a 4" cube. Looking good. The generator is a 12 lead, the two connection schemes are low wye (stock) and double delta (120/240).

The utility of this generator increased greatly since getting the governor adjusted for rock stable frequency.

edpdx

Had an issue with the ignition key. I turned to start the engine one day and after dash lights... nothing. No click even. After several tries it cranked and lit up. I suspected the rod to the ignition switch was coming up short. I had spares of turn indicator cam, Ignition switch, so I tore into the column and replaced the parts. After button up. Still no start. I dropped the colum- just the two saddle bolts, and with long needle nose pliers was able to shove the rod home (key in RUN position). It cranked as expected. After sliding the ignition switch upwards toward the steering wheel hard enough to nearly move the switch slide to ON position, I locked down the tiny screws with BLUE thread lock. If you get the same symptom, try forcing the rod after dropping the column, it'll save you time. 😐

Keith_J

Dialed back on the M1031 SECM governor adjustments..my load test is a trio of 3600 Watt water heater elements. In 1.25 gallon bucket of water, it went from 86°F to boiling in 2:30. 150 seconds. 37,500 BTU/hour. Discounting heat loss to the bucket.
It needed the load so I could upset the governor to see hunting damping. The governor had exactly 1.5 cycles back to rock steady. In dynamic systems, that is perfection.

I was going to get video but the water started boiling out of the bucket. Not to mention exposed 208 volts 3 phase..safety stasi would pull such video.

Now onto making a 12 lead reconnection panel set out of 3/16" thick FR4. With two connection cards, one for stock 208 volt 3 phase, the other series delta for 120/240 split.

Beandip

I like the truck. I'm not taking mine as far but I'm curious about your hidden winch.
its a custom mount I built. It holds a 12k smittybuilt winch. I wanted the highest clearance mount possible for the rock crawling we do and it can’t stick out past the bumper to hurt approach angle. Bit of a photo dump but gives anyone who wants to copy it a good idea how it’s made.

It’s a 1/4” plate base with 2x3 square tube 3/16” wall cut diagonally and 1/2 to give the 1/4” plate support
5E23A1A0-31DA-4829-B397-27B9AD7F00E3.jpeg

1/4” gussets on the back. My gen 1 design bent in due to lack of gusset size and smashing on rocks (it was all 3/16” steel) Plus the winch line stored against it didn’t help that fact with all the preload

5D382FE9-BC88-47A7-87C0-E173979735C8.jpeg

94E7AC52-20F6-409F-B4CA-6953AFC8A38A.jpeg

The winch plate is sized to fit snugly in between the perches and swings down. Install the winch, then swing the assembly up and bolt up front after drilling some holes. The free spool handle is clocked to the back and it’s easy to reach.
1564FFDF-0009-4C7D-A488-80FAAA62F922.jpeg

and that’s it. The 12k winch clears the core support by 3/8” or so. It’s close but never had issues with it.
026BAA10-6777-42AD-8C8B-8F7AA63C03DB.jpeg

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its a custom mount I built. It holds a 12k smittybuilt winch. I wanted the highest clearance mount possible for the rock crawling we do and it can’t stick out past the bumper to hurt approach angle. Bit of a photo dump but gives anyone who wants to copy it a good idea how it’s made.

It’s a 1/4” plate base with 2x3 square tube 3/16” wall cut diagonally and 1/2 to give the 1/4” plate support
View attachment 883087

1/4” gussets on the back. My gen 1 design bent in due to lack of gusset size and smashing on rocks (it was all 3/16” steel) Plus the winch line stored against it didn’t help that fact with all the preload

View attachment 883088

View attachment 883089

The winch plate is sized to fit snugly in between the perches and swings down. Install the winch, then swing the assembly up and bolt up front after drilling some holes. The free spool handle is clocked to the back and it’s easy to reach.
View attachment 883090

and that’s it. The 12k winch clears the core support by 3/8” or so. It’s close but never had issues with it.
View attachment 883091
Your welding caught my eyes, very professional, excellent work all around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks