• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Did a whole lot of work lately, truck is a bit out of the norm for this group but designed and built an eco cage for it. 100% TIG welded as well.View attachment 883085
WHOA!! Very Sweet!

That looks like a WHOLE lot of work; and all that must have been welded in-place:

- how in the name oif sam hill did you pull that off without burning off all the paint?

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced a faulty Blackout front bumper light.
Was intermittent and had a short inside I assume.

Installed new one and all work great once again.

I know they’ll never be really used, just like to have everything on truck working correctly.
Where did you get your replacement BO Marker lights? Mine work, but they are REALLY cloudy and hard to see. As for using them, I try to use my at least monthly. I try to keep my BO skills sharp just for the fun on it. I never got to use them much while on Active Duty, so now I drive my country gravel roads at night with my BO headlight leading the way. My biggest fear is hitting a deer, bear, or some other creature. Fortunately, that hasn't happened yet...

87cr250r

Paints and plastics are the same. You can polish your BO lenses using the same process that you would use for clear coat.

Or, if they are only hazy, wet them with water. If they clear up then they would be a good candidate to apply a clear coat to make them clear again. Use a 2-part clear for good UV resistance.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get your replacement BO Marker lights? Mine work, but they are REALLY cloudy and hard to see. As for using them, I try to use my at least monthly. I try to keep my BO skills sharp just for the fun on it. I never got to use them much while on Active Duty, so now I drive my country gravel roads at night with my BO headlight leading the way. My biggest fear is hitting a deer, bear, or some other creature. Fortunately, that hasn't happened yet...
You can post a parts wanted request in the classifieds…..
Or find them easily on eBay.

I replaced all mine with a NOS complete set when I first bought my M1008A1 over 7 years ago.
They always worked perfectly, until that one failed.
Took five minutes or so to replace it and now back to everything working again as designed.

cucvrus

I just used LED clearance lamps on my B/O lamps. I never hope to use them anyway and they really look nice. 004.JPG019.JPG
In the rear I sed a set of LED RED lamps in the hinge holes of my M1009 Mule. I added a set of LED license plate lamps on the rear that were lit when the backup lamps were on. I had several conversions on this M1009 Mule.
003.JPG
LED headlamps, Bosch driving lamps in the park turn area and a 1987 quad headlamp grille with the park turn built into the grille. LED B/O drive lamp. DSCF6370.JPGDSCF6420.JPG
You can see the backup lamps in this picture. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

ssdvc

Put my pipe insulation "winter grill cover" on, sprayed Fluid Film underneath and in all the little nooks and crannies (inside doors, rockers, tailgate, etc), put my cheapo seat heater pads under my front seat covers, 400lbs of sand in the back and put an extendable snow brush and shovel in the back.

Another Ahab

Put my pipe insulation "winter grill cover" on, sprayed Fluid Film underneath and in all the little nooks and crannies (inside doors, rockers, tailgate, etc), put my cheapo seat heater pads under my front seat covers, 400lbs of sand in the back and put an extendable snow brush and shovel in the back.
Have you got the sand in containers of some kind, or are you just hauling bagged sand?

Beandip

WHOA!! Very Sweet!

That looks like a WHOLE lot of work; and all that must have been welded in-place:

- how in the name oif sam hill did you pull that off without burning off all the paint?
It’s actually 2 large pieces that I painted on the backside then put them together for the final welding. The whole thing is TIG welded but even if it was mig welded, not a whole lot of final welding was done when on the truck.

Designed the whole thing in Bendtech too which helped me visualize/plan ahead. Cage Has a lot of scratches now from me dragging it across a few trees and rocks. But held up good tho! Kinda wanted to test it out some.

Attachments

SGT LongT

Another Ahab

It’s actually 2 large pieces that I painted on the backside then put them together for the final welding. The whole thing is TIG welded but even if it was mig welded, not a whole lot of final welding was done when on the truck.
Beandip, the image of that weld would be at home among the best paintings of any of the Masters.

Man, that is a work of Art!

1670434104691.png

ssdvc

Designed the whole thing in Bendtech too which helped me visualize/plan ahead. Cage Has a lot of scratches now from me dragging it across a few trees and rocks. But held up good tho! Kinda wanted to test it out some.
I need one of those for my 09. Put some screening material over all the window openings and you have an awesome Riot/Anti-Zombie vehicle !!! Those welds are awesome.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I broke my 1009 rear axle in half. Packed JB weld in the crack to keep the oil in and drove 200 miles home on the highway.

Got a new housing for cheap, built a welded truss for it, and swapped all my old parts over. Hopefully it lives...

ARB locker, 3.73 gears, 33" tires. It's no monster truck, but it gets me out camping in the woods and the desert.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

riggermedic

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
18EB4E59-1690-4A75-9AE1-04FB56BD51BA.jpeg089A8CB7-8ED0-4692-A3DD-5FBA4C88FED0.jpegB3FEBC12-ADD7-4208-B736-620516B06EB1.jpeg

Installed new shoes.
Cooper AT3s
They hold up extremely well to rocks and gravel, which I drive on daily.

Replaced leaking steering stabilizer shock with another ACDelco part. It lasted 8 years.
Kingpins are still nice and tight
Greased front end.
Also replaced a seeping injector return line.

Zero plans to paint wheels.
I drive on gravel and dirt roads so much it wouldn’t last long anyway.
The original GM paint was basically sand blasted off because of the dirt roads.

Edit: ACDelco steering shock part number
495EB9FD-3D7C-4C73-837F-78A50751A5EB.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks