• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

KallyLC

IMG_5083.JPG

My 1008 is finally back on the road after going in for a transmission rebuild at the start of the year.

I knew it left drips of transmission fluid on my driveway, but didn't think it was that bad... untill my brother took it to Wales late last year and ran the torque converter dry. Took it to a shop and had them rebuild the transmission, they sent off the TQ to be repaired, put in a new flex plate a correctly shimmed the starter and it's all good again. It turns out there was actually quite a lot wrong with it under the surface, so it was worth the time and money to get it properly looked at.

It got a good run last weekend driving down to Suffolk to meet with some friends and I got a chance to get re-acquainted with all the interesting noises you can hear in a 35 year old truck with no sound deadening.

The plan was to tidy it up a bit and rebuild the troop seats this summer, but my '90 S10 Blazer has been a bit neglected since I bought the truck, and it desperately needs some bodywork this year if it's going to stay on the road, so I think i'll just stick to small jobs on the M1008 and focus my efforts on the Blazer for now.

KallyLC

Not mine unfortunately, the Vic belongs to a friend. I kind of wish he'd kept the MUTT he had before, otherwise we'd have a pretty sweet motorpool for our reenactment group, but he had good reason to sell it.

Considering how bad the transmission was inside, the only thing 'wrong' with it was that it was just making a funny noise. Still had all the gears, still shifted OK, the guy we had do it wasn't even sure it needed rebuilding untill he tore into it and found the third gear clutches all worn down to nothing, shot seals and some other damage. Apparently it only had two bolts holding the bellhousing onto the engine, and the pan bolts were all finger tight. Good thing we had it looked at before it got worse.

DarkSeas

Been a busy couple of weeks:
Removed the front driveshaft to check the ujoints, the front one is shot but the back two are smooth. Bonked the front one out.
Redid the clamps on the diesel return lines on the injectors.
Replaced the fuel filter.
Set the alternator brackets back on the motor along with the alternators and power steering pump.
Put the vacuum lines back onto the new vacuum regulator.
Put the intake back on with a new gasket and cleaned up bolts.
Replaced the frayed wire going to the brake combination valve.
Got the old glow plug harness pulled out that was frayed and unusuable.
Repaired the toolbox on the back so it can open, shut, and lock again. Still needs a lil work.
Finished up my battery/starter cables.
Sourced some wire loom retainers cause the old ones were brittle and fell apart taking off the old wiring harness.

Another Ahab

Been a busy couple of weeks:
Removed the front driveshaft to check the ujoints, the front one is shot but the back two are smooth. Bonked the front one out.
Redid the clamps on the diesel return lines on the injectors.
Replaced the fuel filter.
Set the alternator brackets back on the motor along with the alternators and power steering pump.
Put the vacuum lines back onto the new vacuum regulator.
Put the intake back on with a new gasket and cleaned up bolts.
Replaced the frayed wire going to the brake combination valve.
Got the old glow plug harness pulled out that was frayed and unusuable.
Repaired the toolbox on the back so it can open, shut, and lock again. Still needs a lil work.
Finished up my battery/starter cables.
Sourced some wire loom retainers cause the old ones were brittle and fell apart taking off the old wiring harness.
Spring cleaning, DarkSeas, and it's not even Spring yet!

:driver: :beer: :driver:

KallyLC

It finally stopped raining for a day, so I thought I'd do a few small jobs on the M1008. Put in a new vacuum pump gasket, changed the shifter linkage bushings, and my brother dug into the dash to maybe swap in the junkyard speedometer we picked up back in September and to see if we can fix the shift indicator.

Both the new and the old speedo seem to work just fine when driven with a drill on the end of a new speedometer cable, i tested the cable in the truck last year and it seemed fine, but there's nothing wrong with the gears or the gauge. I'll just toss that new cable in and see if it fixes it.

The shop we had fix the transmission also tried to fix our broken shifter needle, the tip of the needle was just snapped off before, but you could still see it. Apparently they melted a nail into it and covered it with heat shrink, melting the other end in the process so they had to zip-tie the cable on. And they damaged the cluster and the dash a bit more in the process of taking it apart. I appreciate the thought, but kind of wish they'd left it alone.

IMG_5111.JPG
It would've been easy to fix before just by gluing something onto the stub of the needle, but this is a bit far gone now. I just ordered a used shift indicator assembly with a good needle.

I had planned on doing the valve cover gaskets to take care of the leaks, I knew i'd have to pop off the injector lines to get to them but I'd not realized that they terminate under the intake, seems like the best way to get them out is to pull the manifold. I wasn't prepared to do that in a muddy field as the engine needs a bit of a clean first so nothing falls in the intake, so I'll order some intake gaskets and bring it back to the house before doing that.

Another Ahab

The shop we had fix the transmission also tried to fix our broken shifter needle, the tip of the needle was just snapped off before, but you could still see it. Apparently they melted a nail into it and covered it with heat shrink, melting the other end in the process so they had to zip-tie the cable on. And they damaged the cluster and the dash a bit more in the process of taking it apart. I appreciate the thought, but kind of wish they'd left it alone.

View attachment 893544
It would've been easy to fix before just by gluing something onto the stub of the needle, but this is a bit far gone now. I just ordered a used shift indicator assembly with a good needle.
That was kind of criminal for that shop to do that, and not talk to you about it, and particularly if they weren't sure whether they might butcher it or not.

Not good procedure there.

KallyLC

Some parts turned up, so my brother and I spent the day doing some wrenching on the M1008. The throttle cable linkage was missing the clip, and the rubber was shot, no idea how it stayed on before but it's nice and secure now. Put in the new speedometer cable and tried to put the new shift indicator in... but the tale of the butchery continues.

After I got the truck back from the shop a few months back, I found a peice of the instrument cluster on the floor. Wasn't sure where it came from but I knew it was in rough shape so I figured it was just a corner or something that had snapped off. Annoying, but whatever.
IMG_5079.JPG

My brother spent a while scratching his head trying to fit the new shift indicator in while I did the cable and some other stuff, eventually looked up a diagram of how the cable for the indicator is meant to be routed, and he sees that it's meant to go around a guide, which isn't there. It was the peice I found on the floor.
IMG_5132.JPG

LMC and a few other places do sell the plastic backing peice, but nobody seems to stock the version for the base spec clusters with the four idiot lights the CUCV has. I don't recall throwing that peice away, so if it's in the cab somewhere then perhaps we can glue it back together, though I'm not sure how strong that will be if the rest of it is brittle, too. The other idea is to drill a hole in the dash and use a bolt with a plastic sleeve as a cable guide instead.

Was hoping to get it all put back together this weekend, but that apparently was too much to hope for. On the plus side, I did rip out about 20ft of unused wiring and did some cable management in the engine bay, so that's a little neater now. Need to do the same under the dash at some point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks