• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Duke Nukem

Finished with my radiator today. Doesn't appear to be leaking so far, even with the subpar flare I did on the transmission line that I cut. We'll see if that holds after a few thermal cycles.

cucvrus

OER 6264100 - OER Radiator Retainer Pads

Compare

Retainer Pad, Radiator, Rubber, Chevy, GMC, Big Block,

These are the radiator insulator pads I mentioned yesterday. I hope you had a good trip. Thank you. Happy Holidays. Just shim the new urethane insulators to hold the radiator snugly in place. Good Luck. Summit racing has these listed. I bought them at several places in the past. Always good to have the expensive radiator held firmly in place. Have you checked your radiator lower/upper mounts lately. For about $20. and an hours time you can avoid costly damage. The rubber mounts have long since worn out and are about as supportive as a rotten melon rind. Good Luck and get it done right the first time. It's a simple task.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JEGS carries them also
I replaced mine.

You are correct.
The original pads were mush.
Cheap insurance to protect radiator.

cucvrus

Corporate does and it is under my care at work. i dare not haul CUCV's on it. Only chassis wrecked bodies and scrap. And a good friend of mine has several from a single car to a 4 car. So I have good access to one. Why do you need something?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have New Old Stock, NOS, Radiator support pad as outlined by CUVRUS. $10 for a pair if you need, plus shipping and they will fit in a small envelope so shipping is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chevybrit

Took A trip to Vegas in my 1009 85+ most of the way except of course the hills total of a 5 Hour Drive from Phoenix. Took a four-day rifle class with my two nephews and ran into fellow steel soldier" treadlight "at a class at front sight in Pahrump Nevada. Drove back to Phoenix same speed and she loved it. I was really surprised and impressed with how well it drove that fast I never topped 3100 RPM but I don't know how accurate my speedometer is. Tachometer is a tiny tach. Average miles per gallon was 15 for the trip I was very surprised at that
Standard gearing??????

Chevybrit

Been getting these ready for Winter. All lubed and repairs made.

View attachment 655409

Point "B" may be calling, and I will be there. Have chains for 5-ton this year. Slipped up on getting them for 37" HMMWV tires for the CUCV. While focusing so much on getting ready, I failed to get these put away for the Winter. Couldn't drive the car to it's Winter "nest" because the state felt they had to salt the roads already when we got 1/2" of snow a week ago. Now it's raining and cleaning the roads so I can finish that task on the next sunny day.

View attachment 655410
View attachment 655411
Lovin the lawn sign....

the skull

Corporate does and it is under my care at work. i dare not haul CUCV's on it. Only chassis wrecked bodies and scrap. And a good friend of mine has several from a single car to a 4 car. So I have good access to one. Why do you need something?

Hahahaha Yes! I need a rollback.
Just jealous, that's all.
I do need a flexplate, a starter, and a bracket.
But I need the broken starter bolt out first.
Thanks, though

Duke Nukem

I just noticed this thread again now. Yes, the trip was good, except that I noticed a loss of power occasionally on the highway on the way back to philly, and a few times since then. I ordered a new air snd fuel filter amd hope that will take care of it, since I need those anyway. What is the plastic tube (item 49) that the 20 manual refers to?

swiss, that sounds like a good deal to me. PM your paypal info. What do I need to remove to replace the mounts? Hopefully not remove all the hoses and lines again?

riggermedic

Standard gearing??????
Pure stock, 31 inch tires, flat or down hill (m1009 with 3.08 gears).... she slows down to 45 when climbing a grade. Engine noise is not appreciably louder anything over 2700 rpm. I used to be afraid to push her over 65 but she does great at high speed. Speedometer was past 85 and hitting the odometer part of the gauge.
i was still being passed by others heading to vegas, the average speed for most making that trip is over 80mph, I was happy that she was capable of keeping up, or at least not causing a traffic jam in between passing lanes

Beandip

lostinutah

It's been awhile. "The rattler" died on me last April. Broken started bolts/easy outs kept it off the road. Found an 86 M1009 local for sale. Bought it and used some of the 85 to get it in shape. New cost me 1/4 of the old one and had 6 in lift, 35s, and way way less rust. Put the hood intake on today.IMG_20161203_161750.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the studded snow tires on my M1009 today. The BFGs on the aluminum wheels have a larger bore hole so the disk that holds the spare tire to the mount in the bed is too small. I'll have to rig something up.

Another Ahab

I put the studded snow tires on my M1009 today. The BFGs on the aluminum wheels have a larger bore hole so the disk that holds the spare tire to the mount in the bed is too small. I'll have to rig something up.
Those have been illegal on this side of the Divide for decades (chewed up the roads).

Those are legal out your way?

Another Ahab

And all this time I was thinking they were everywhere illegal. They were deep-sixed out here all the way back in the 70's I think it was (!).

I need to get out more:

tires.jpg

rustystud

Yes. The government vehicles on base have been running them for almost a month now.
What you guys back there don't have to deal with much is "Black Ice" . Out here it is a daily occurrence in winter. The sun comes up and thaws the ground. The rainy sleet comes down and then the sun goes down and everything freezes again until the sun comes back up and thaws it all again. You cannot see Black Ice, only feel it when your vehicle looses all contact with the road ! It's especially dangerous on overpasses and country roads that don't get the deicers put on them.
The problem is your limited to the tires available to you. Since most of the country has outlawed Studded tires or put restrictions on their use the tire companies don't make a lot of them. This is the first year we will not be using studded tires on the Subaru. The last set was 4 years old and the studs where totally worn off. Since my retirement I cannot afford to go out and pay $600.00 for a new set of tires, so we will be going without this year. Hopefully we will just get snow or it will just rain all winter and not hit many freezing days. There has been years that the temperatures never go lower then 34 F . Of course there are also years that hit in the 10's F for weeks at a time.

Last edited:

Assel

Today I finished my "sunvisor & roof lamps" project. I know I offend the original CUCV look with it, but I wanted roof lights & the truck to fit into my garage. That was the only solution possible.

The lamps are powered off a relay which gets activated from the highbeam circuit. I think just a relay added to the stock harness wont cause a fuse to melt? The relay sits near the batteries & the power wire is of course fused on its own.

DSC_5588.jpg DSC_5597.jpg DSC_5602.jpgDSC_5604.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks